Zomig is a synthetic drug used to relieve a painful attack in case of migraine.
Release form and composition
Zomig produced in the form of tablets, film-coated (round, biconvex, yellow, engraved with "Z" on one side), 2 pcs. or 3 pcs. in blisters, 1 blister in a carton box.
The active substance is zolmitriptan, 2.5 mg in 1 tablet.
- 100 mg of anhydrous lactose;
- 15 mg microcrystalline cellulose;
- 3 mg sodium carboxymethyl starch;
- 1.5 mg of magnesium stearate.
Shell composition: yellow dye (OY-22906), macrogol 8000.
The dye composition: hypromellose, macrogol 400, titanium dioxide, iron dye yellow oxide (E172).
Indications for use
Zomig is prescribed for the relief of migraine attacks with or without aura.
Zomig's use is contraindicated in:
- Uncontrolled arterial hypertension;
- Coronary heart disease;
- Angiospastic stenocardia (Prinzmetal stenocardia);
- Disorders of cerebral circulation or transient ischemic attacks in history;
- WPW syndrome or arrhythmias associated with other additional pathways for conducting the impulse;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Zomig should not be taken simultaneously with ergotamine, its derivatives, or with other 5HT1B / 1D-serotonin receptor agonists.
Elderly drug is prescribed with caution (the effectiveness and safety of its use in patients older than 65 years have not been studied).
Clinical studies of the use of the drug in pregnant women have not been conducted, so during pregnancy it can only be taken in cases where the intended benefit to the mother is higher than the potential risk to the fetus.
The question of the possibility of appointing Zomig during breastfeeding should be addressed with caution.
The efficacy and safety of the drug in children and adolescents up to 18 years is not installed.
Dosing and Administration
The recommended dosage of Zomiga for the relief of a migraine attack is 2.5 mg.
If the symptoms do not go away or reappear within 24 hours, it may be necessary to take a repeated dose, while keeping the interval between doses of the drug for at least 2 hours. If, after taking 2.5 mg of Zomig, the desired therapeutic effect is not achieved, the dosage can be doubled to relieve the following migraine attacks.
Clinically significant effect of the drug is manifested within 1 hour after its administration.
The effectiveness of Zomig does not depend on the time after which the pill was taken since the beginning of the attack, but it is recommended to take the drug as soon as possible.
The total daily dosage should not exceed 10 mg.
Patients with moderate and mild abnormal liver function dosage adjustment is not required, with severe - the maximum you can take 5 mg of the drug per day.
In the event of impaired renal function, it is not necessary to adjust the dosage regimen of Zomig.
As a rule, Zomig is well tolerated, and the resulting side effects are transient, moderately or easily expressed and resolved independently without treatment. Most often, they develop within 4 hours after taking the drug and do not increase with repeated doses.
With the use of Zomig, the appearance of disturbances from the central and peripheral nervous systems is possible:
- Often: paresthesias, sensory disturbances, dizziness, asthenia, feeling of stiffness and heaviness in the limbs, sensation of heat, drowsiness, tightness in the neck, throat and chest (usually no ischemic changes on the ECG);
- Rarely: headache.
Also with varying frequency may develop violations from:
- Digestive system: spleen infarction, ischemic colitis, nausea, abdominal pain, dry mouth, hemorrhagic diarrhea, heart attack or intestinal ischemia;
- Musculoskeletal system: muscle weakness, myalgia;
- Cardiovascular system: myocardial infarction, spasm of coronary vessels, tachycardia, angina pectoris, palpitations, transient arterial hypertension (in rare cases accompanied by clinically significant symptoms);
- Urinary system: frequent urination, polyuria.
Allergic reactions can manifest as anaphylactic reactions, angioedema, and urticaria.
With a single dose of 50 mg of Zomig, a sedative effect is usually noted. In case of overdose for at least 15 hours, the patient’s condition should be monitored.
Zomig should not be taken for the prevention of migraine attacks.
The drug is effective for migraine with aura and without aura, as well as associated with menstruation migraine. The effectiveness of Zomig does not affect:
- Age and sex of the patient;
- The presence of nausea before taking the drug;
- Duration of the attack;
- The use of drugs for the prevention of migraine attacks.
Zomig can only be taken with the established diagnosis. Before its use, other possible serious neurological conditions should be excluded.
Data on the use of Zomig in basilar or hemiplegic migraine is currently not available.
In patients with migraine, the risk of cerebral circulation disorders may be increased. In patients receiving 5HT1B / 1D-serotonin receptor agonists, cases of hemorrhagic, subarachnoid and ischemic stroke, as well as other disorders of cerebral circulation, were observed.
In some cases, when using this class of drugs (agonists of 5HT1B / 1D-serotonin receptors), spasms of coronary vessels, angina pectoris, or the development of myocardial infarction were observed. Patients with a high risk of developing coronary heart disease before taking the drug are recommended to undergo an examination of the state of the cardiovascular system. Serious complications of the cardiovascular system in very rare cases can develop in patients who have not had an indication of such diseases in history.
There were reports of atypical sensations in the heart during Zomig application. If you experience chest pain or symptoms of coronary heart disease, it is recommended to stop taking the drug before the appropriate medical examination.
Zomig can cause a mild transient increase in blood pressure, regardless of the history of hypertension. Such an increase was clinically pronounced very rarely.
Excessive intake of antifungal drugs can lead to an increase in the incidence of headache, which potentially requires discontinuation of therapy.
When taking Zomig in a dose of up to 20 mg, there was no significant deterioration in the performance of psychomotor tests. Despite the fact that the situation is unlikely when the use of the drug leads to a deterioration in the ability to engage in potentially hazardous activities, the patient should be warned about the possibility of drowsiness.
Analogs of Zomig are:
- By active substance - Zomig Rapimelt;
- According to the mechanism of action - Dinaton, Migrepam, Naramig, Bimaral, Rondaset, Frovamigran, Emetron, Prukaloprid succinate, Peristil, Ondantor and other serotonergic drugs.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of reach of children at temperature not exceeding 30 ° C.
The shelf life of the drug - 2 years.