Zoloft is an antidepressant.
Release form and composition
Zolofta dosage form - coated tablets.
The active ingredient of the drug is sertraline (in the form of hydrochloride), in 1 tablet it may contain 50 or 100 mg.
Excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, calcium phosphate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, polysorbates, magnesium stearate, sodium starch glycolate, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide (E171).
Implemented tablets of 14 pcs. in blisters, 1 or 2 blisters in a package.
Indications for use
Zoloft is used to treat:
- Panic disorders;
- Social phobia;
- Depression of various etiologies (as well as for its prevention);
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD);
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
The use of Zoloft is contraindicated:
- Children up to 6 years;
- During pregnancy;
- Breastfeeding women;
- Patients who take pimozide;
- Simultaneously with MAO inhibitors and within 2 weeks after their cancellation;
- In case of hypersensitivity to sertraline or auxiliary components.
It is possible to use the drug, but under careful medical supervision for:
- Organic diseases of the brain, including mental retardation;
- Pronounced weight loss;
- Renal / hepatic failure;
- The need to use other drugs that bind to plasma proteins (for example, with tolbutamide or diazepam);
- Assigning agents to the patient that affect serotonergic transmission (for example, lithium preparations).
Dosing and Administration
Zoloft should be taken once a day (morning or evening), regardless of the meal.
The initial daily dose for panic disorders, social phobia and PTSD is 25 mg, after 7 days it is increased to 50 mg. Such a dosing regimen is preferable, since reduces the incidence of side effects characteristic of the treatment of panic disorder.
Therapy of depression and OCD begin with a daily dose of 50 mg.
If 50 mg / day is not enough to achieve the desired therapeutic effect, the dose is gradually, not more than 1 time per week, increased. The maximum allowable daily dosage is 200 mg. It is important to take into account that the first positive dynamics can be observed already a week after the start of Zoloft administration, however, a pronounced effect is reached by the end of 2-4 weeks, and sometimes even later (for example, with ORK).
When conducting maintenance therapy, the drug is prescribed in the minimum effective dose. If necessary, it is adjusted depending on the clinical effect.
When ORC in children aged 6-12 years, the drug is prescribed in a starting dose of 25 mg / day and only after 7 days increase to 50 mg. As required (in case of insufficient effect), the dosage and then gradually increase to the maximum allowable amount of 200 mg. To avoid overdose, when prescribing a dose of more than 50 mg, you should take into account the smaller than the adult body weight of the child.
The treatment of ORC in adolescents over the age of 13 immediately begins with a daily dose of 50 mg
Reducing the recommended therapeutic doses or increasing the interval between doses is required for patients with liver disease.
When using Zoloft may be side effects:
- On the part of the digestive system, nausea and / or vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, flatulence, dry mouth, pancreatitis, hepatitis, abdominal pain, jaundice, loss of appetite up to anorexia, and liver failure are often relatively common. It is rarely possible to increase appetite, in rare cases of long-term use - a reversible asymptomatic increase in the activity of transaminases in the blood serum;
- Reactions from the cardiovascular system, manifested by arterial hypertension, tachycardia, palpitations;
- Disturbances of the central and peripheral nervous systems, expressed as extrapyramidal disorders (gait disturbance, gnashing of teeth, akatizii, dyskinesia), involuntary muscular contractions, fainting, paresthesia, drowsiness or insomnia, headache, migraine, tremor, dizziness, sleepiness, sleep, or exercise, headache, migraine, tremor, dizziness, sleep, or exercise, by exercise, by movement, by action, by action, by exercise, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action, by action , euphoria, hallucinations, psychosis, nightmares, decreased libido, suicide attempts, coma;
- Reactions from the musculoskeletal system, such as muscle cramps and arthralgia;
- Pathologies of the respiratory system, manifested by a yawn and bronchospasm;
- On the part of the urinary system may delay or incontinence, enuresis;
- Violations of the senses: tinnitus, mydriasis, visual disturbances;
- Disorders of the endocrine system, expressed hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinemia, inadequate secretion of ADH;
- Reactions from the reproductive system: gynecomastia, galactorrhea, reduced potency, delayed ejaculation, priapism, menstrual disorders;
- Reactions from the hematopoietic system (there is a risk of leukopenia, thrombocytopenia);
- Other side effects: an increase or decrease in body weight, increased serum cholesterol, weakness, peripheral edema, bleeding (including gastrointestinal, nasal, hematuria);
- Dermatological reactions: alopecia, increased sweating, purpura, flushing or redness of the skin, photosensitization;
- Allergic reactions, manifested by itching, urticaria, periorbital edema, angioedema, facial edema, anaphylactoid reactions. There are isolated cases of epidermal necrolysis and Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
With a sharp cessation of Zolofta, there is a risk of withdrawal, expressed by hallucinations, symptoms of psychosis and depression, hypesthesia, paresthesia, aggressive reactions, anxiety - signs that cannot be distinguished from the symptoms of the underlying disease.
An overdose of sertraline, as a rule, is not accompanied by the development of severe symptoms. However, with simultaneous use of Zoloft with other drugs and alcoholic beverages, severe poisoning can occur, in some cases leading to coma and death. In some cases, overdose of the drug is fraught with the development of serotonin syndrome, manifested by nausea, vomiting, agitation, tachycardia, drowsiness, diarrhea, psychomotor agitation, increased sweating, hyperreflexia, myoclonus. There is no specific antidote sertralina. Patients who have taken a high dose of Zoloft require intensive therapy aimed at maintaining vital systems and functions. Vomiting is not recommended. Acceptance of activated carbon is considered more preferable than gastric lavage. It is important to maintain airway patency.
By itself, sertraline, as a rule, does not have a negative impact on psychomotor functions. However, its use in combination with other drugs may cause impaired attention and / or motor coordination. For this reason, during the treatment period with Zoloft, it is not recommended to drive a car or perform potentially hazardous work.
Careful attention is necessary for patients who have been prescribed Zoloft in combination with drugs that depress the central nervous system.
During the period of treatment is prohibited to use alcohol and drugs containing ethanol.
Patients who take indirect anticoagulants (for example, warfarin) need control of the prothrombin time at the beginning of treatment with Zoloft and after it is canceled.
Cimetidine significantly reduces the clearance of sertraline.
With long-term use of Zolofta in a daily dose of 50 mg, an increase in plasma concentration of drugs of the IC class (propafenone, flecainide), antiarrhythmic drugs, tricyclic antidepressants is noted.
With the combined use of sertraline and lithium preparations, tremor may appear.
It is not recommended the simultaneous appointment of this drug with tryptophan and fenfluramine.
When receiving sertralina in a dose of 200 mg in combination with antipyrine there is a decrease in the half-life of the latter.
Special observation is required for patients to whom Zoloft was prescribed while receiving sumatriptan, since such a combination may lead to confusion, increased tendon reflexes, severe weakness, agitation and anxiety.
With the same active ingredient, Aleval, Center, Deprefolt, Seralin, Serenata, Serlift, Stimuloton, Thorin are produced.
Similarly, the mechanism of action characterized medicaments Adepress, Aktaparoksetin, Apo-Paroxetine, Apo-fluoxetine, Miratsitol Oprah, Paxil, Paroxetine, Pliz, Pram, Prodep, Prozac, Profluzak, Reksetin, Sedopram, selectors, Siozam, Sirestill, Umorap, Luvox, Fluval, Flunisan, Fluoxetine, Tsipraleks, Tsipramil, Tsitol, etc.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store tablets at temperatures up to 30 ºC in a dry place. Zoloft shelf life is 5 years.