Zokson - alpha 1 -blocker with antihypertensive effect.
Release form and composition
The active ingredient of Zoxone is doxazosin (in the form of mesylate).
Dosage form of the drug - tablets produced in a dose of:
- 1 mg, 15 pcs. in a blister, 1 or 2 blisters per package;
- 2 mg, 10 pcs. in a blister, 1 or 3 blisters in a package;
- 4 mg, 10 pcs. in a blister, 3, 9 or 10 blisters per pack.
- Microcrystalline cellulose granulated;
- Silicon dioxide anhydrous colloid;
- Magnesium stearate;
- Sodium carboxymethyl starch (type A);
- Microcrystalline cellulose;
- Sodium lauryl sulfate.
Indications for use
Zokson is prescribed for benign prostatic hyperplasia for the treatment of urination disorders in patients with normal blood pressure and in patients with arterial hypertension (the drug effectively affects both diseases).
In addition, Zokson is used to treat hypertension. If one drug is not enough to obtain the desired BP control, then other antihypertensive agents are also prescribed - ACE inhibitors, slow calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, thiazide diuretics.
Zokson is not prescribed:
- With known hypersensitivity to doxazosin, auxiliary components of the drug or quinazoline derivative;
- Children and adolescents up to 18 years.
With caution, the drug is prescribed to patients with orthostatic hypotension, mitral and aortic stenosis, and impaired liver function.
Dosing and Administration
Zokson tablets should be taken whole, washed down with water, once a day (morning or evening), regardless of the meal.
When urination disorders caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia, in patients with normal blood pressure, the drug is prescribed in a dose of 2-4 mg per day. With insufficient effect, the dosage is increased to 8 mg.
In hypertension, depending on the severity and features of the course of the disease, the dose may vary from 1 to 16 mg per day. In this case, the initial dosage is always 1 mg. It is recommended to take the drug at bedtime, because within 6-8 hours after taking the pill the patient should lie down, due to the risk of the first dose effect. In that case, if the therapeutic effect is not enough, after 1-2 weeks, the dosage is increased to 2 mg. Subsequently, with the same intervals, it is possible to increase the dose by 2 mg each time until the optimal response to the therapy is achieved.
As a rule, 8 mg daily is enough, but in some cases 16 mg is required. After achieving a stable effect, the dose can be reduced. Maintenance therapy usually involves taking 2-4 mg / day.
The duration of use of Zoxone in each case is determined individually. The treatment is long.
Possible side effects of Zoxone in the treatment of hypertension:
- Orthostatic hypertension (sometimes with fainting), edema. In some cases, bradycardia, chest pain, tachycardia, angina pectoris, palpitations, cerebral circulation, arrhythmia, myocardial infarction are noted, but the causal relationship of these symptoms with Zokson is not reliably established;
- Dizziness, increased drowsiness, headache;
- Malaise, asthenia;
In the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia, in addition to the side effects described above, the following are possible:
- Orthostatic hypotension, decreased blood pressure;
- Nosebleeds, cough, shortness of breath, bronchospasm;
- Paresthesia, hypesthesia, tremor, irritability, dry mouth, insomnia, priapism, impotence;
- Urinary incontinence, dysuria, nocturia, hematuria, polyuria;
- Muscle weakness, myalgia, muscle cramps, arthralgia;
- Loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea / constipation, flatulence, dyspepsia, cholestasis, hepatitis, jaundice, increased activity of hepatic transaminases;
- Leukopenia, purpura, thrombocytopenia;
- Tinnitus, blurred vision;
- Skin rash, urticaria, allergic reactions;
- Feeling hot.
In case of an overdose of Zoxone, severe hypotension is observed, in some cases accompanied by fainting. If the patient has taken an overdose of the drug, it should be laid on his back, legs raised and head down. If signs of overdose appear, it is recommended to do a gastric lavage, give activated charcoal. Dialysis is ineffective. Further treatment is symptomatic.
Before the appointment of Zoxone with benign prostatic hyperplasia, it is necessary to exclude its malignancy.
To prevent orthostatic reactions, patients are not recommended to get up sharply, and after taking the pill for a while, you should stay in a lying position.
Ethanol increases the severity of the side effects of doxazosin, so it is forbidden to drink alcoholic beverages during treatment.
Phenomenon of the first dose is particularly susceptible to patients adhering to a diet with limited sodium intake before taking Zoxone, and taking diuretic drugs.
Since at the initial stage of treatment and with each increase in dose, the drug can cause orthostatic reactions, it is recommended to refrain from driving a car and performing potentially hazardous types of work during therapy.
Zokson can be used in combination with:
- slow calcium channel blockers;
- thiazide diuretics;
- beta adrenoblockers;
- urikozuricheskimi means;
- ACE inhibitors;
- indirect anticoagulants;
- oral hypoglycemic agents.
With simultaneous use of Zoxone with:
- other means intended for the treatment of arterial hypertension - mutual reinforcement of their hypotensive action is noted;
- epinephrine - there is a risk of arterial hypotension and tachycardia;
- sympathomimetic agents, estrogens and NSAIDs (especially indomethacin) - the hypotensive effect of doxazosin is reduced;
- inducers of microsomal oxidation in the liver - perhaps enhancing the action of doxazosin;
- inhibitors of microsomal oxidation in the liver - possibly reducing the effectiveness of Zoxone;
- cimetidine - an increase in the AUC of doxazosin is observed.
Structural analogues: Artezin, Artezin retard, Doksazozin, Doksazozin Belupo, Doksazozin Sandoz, Doksazozin-Teva, Doksaprostan, Kamiren, Kamiren HL, Kardura, Kardura Neo, Tonokardin, Urokard.
Analogs on the mechanism of action: Kornam, Pirroksan, Prazosin, Prorokon, Setegis, Terazosin, Terazosin-Teva, Tropafen, Urapidil Karino, Ebrantil.
Terms and conditions of storage
Zokson's shelf life is 3 years. Tablets should be stored in a dark, dry place at a temperature of 10-25 ºС.