Zoeli is a monophasic oral contraceptive.
Release form and composition
Zoeli is available in the form of two types of tablets: one pack contains 24 active tablets (white) and 4 placebo (yellow).
The composition of white tablets:
- Nomegastrol acetate - 2.5 mg;
- Estradiol (in the form of hemihydrate) - 1.5 mg;
- Auxiliary components: microcrystalline cellulose, crospovidone, talc, magnesium stearate, lactose monohydrate and colloidal silicon dioxide;
- Shell: opadry II white (polyvinyl alcohol, macrogol 3350, talc and titanium dioxide).
The composition of the yellow tablets are only excipients. The composition of the shell placebo - opadry II yellow (titanium dioxide, polyvinyl alcohol, talc, macrogol 3350, iron dyes, yellow oxide and black).
Indications for use
Zoeli is used for contraception.
Zoeli is contraindicated in:
- Vaginal bleeding of unknown origin;
- Malignant hormone-dependent tumors (including cancer of the genital organs and the mammary gland) or suspicion of their presence;
- Arterial thrombosis (including myocardial infarction and impaired cerebral circulation) and prodromal conditions (angina pectoris and transient ischemic attack), incl. in the anamnesis;
- Deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism at the present time or in history;
- Hereditary or acquired susceptibility to the development of arterial / venous thrombosis.
In addition, contraindications to the use of the drug are:
- Glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- Pancreatitis, accompanied by severe hypertriglyceridemia, currently or in history;
- Lactose intolerance;
- Migraine, accompanied by focal neurological symptoms, including a history;
- Lactase deficiency;
- Liver tumors (both malignant and benign), including a history of;
- Severe liver disease (in this case, the use of the drug is possible, but only after the normalization of the functional parameters of the liver);
- The presence of one pronounced or several factors that can lead to the development of venous / arterial thrombosis (for example, diabetes mellitus with complications, severe dyslipoproteinemia, severe arterial hypertension, etc.).
Also, the drug is not prescribed:
- Breastfeeding women;
- With an established or suspected pregnancy;
- When hypersensitivity to the components of Zoeli.
It is possible to use a contraceptive, but after evaluating the benefit / risk ratio with:
- The presence of factors that can lead to the development of coronary heart disease, including hypertension, obesity, and smoking after the age of 35;
- Hypertriglyceridemia in a woman or one of her close relatives;
- Impaired liver function;
- Systemic lupus erythematosus;
- Prolonged immobilization;
- Ulcerative colitis;
- Extensive surgery or serious injury;
- Crohn's disease;
- Severe depression, incl. in the anamnesis;
- The family history of indications of arterial embolism or venous thrombosis in someone of close relatives (sisters, brothers, parents) at a young age.
If any of the conditions / diseases described above arise in a woman for the first time or worsens during the period of Zoeli, you should immediately consult a doctor to decide whether to continue taking this contraceptive.
Dosing and Administration
Zoeli should be taken orally once a day, without reference to meals, but daily at the same time.
In one package there are two types of tablets, so the first 24 days should be taken 1 white tablet, then within 4 days - 1 yellow tablet. Approximately 2-3 days after starting a placebo, withdrawal bleeding begins. On day 29, you need to start a new packaging, i.e. when using this oral contraceptive do not need a break. It should be borne in mind that menstrual bleeding to the time when you need to start a new package may not stop.
The best day to start taking the drug is the first day of menstruation or the next day after taking the last active pill, if the woman decided to switch to Zoeli from another contraceptive (a combination hormone or progestogen-containing agent).
If this is not possible, then you can start taking the drug for 2-5 days of the cycle, but within 7 days you need to use a barrier method of contraception.
Women who previously used a transdermal patch or vaginal ring, it is recommended to start taking Zoeli on the day of their removal, maximum - on the day when it would be necessary to introduce a new ring or stick another patch. When switching from injectable contraceptives, Zoeli is started on the day when the next injection is indicated. In all these cases, during the first week of taking active pills, it is recommended to use a barrier method of contraception.
With the help of Zoeli, you can delay the onset of menstrual bleeding. To do this, continue to take white tablets from the new package. If necessary, you can take all the active pills in turn, but after they are finished, you should return to the usual pattern.
If necessary, thanks to Zoeli, you can shift the day of the onset of withdrawal bleeding. For this you need to reduce the phase of receiving a placebo.
Most often during the period of application of Zoeli women complain about:
- Irregular withdrawal bleeding, menorrhagia, pain in the pelvic area, metrorrhagia, breast tenderness;
- Migraine, headaches;
- Decreased libido, depression, mood swings;
- Weight gain
Less commonly, a contraceptive can cause:
- Irritability and impaired attention;
- Dry eyes and even intolerance to contact lenses;
- Breast engorgement, hypomenorrhea, galactorrhea, PMS, uterine spasm, induration in the mammary glands, pain in the pelvic and / or genital organs, dry vulva and vagina;
- Flushing and swelling;
- Increased appetite and fluid retention;
- Dry mouth, bloating, increased liver enzymes;
- Seborrhea, dry skin, itching, hyperhidrosis, alopecia.
Oral contraceptives can affect the metabolism of other drugs, as a result of which their plasma concentration may increase (for example, cyclosporine) or decrease (for example, lamotrigine). For this reason, the possibility of simultaneous administration of any medicinal product, incl. the need for dose adjustment, during the period of application of Zoeli should be clarified with the attending physician.
The same pharmacological group as Zoeli (combined contraceptives (estrogen + progestogen) include Angelique, Belara, Dailla, Jes, Diane-35, Divina, Divitren, Dimia, Evra, Jeanine, Genetten, Indivina, Kleira, Climen, Klimonorm, Kliogest, Lindinet, Logest, Marvelon, Marsilon, Midiana, Miniziston 20 fem, Novinet, Regulon, Tri-Merci, Tri-regol, Femoden, Evian, Yarin, etc.
Terms and conditions of storage
Zoeli's shelf life is 3 years. Tablets should be stored in their original packaging in a dark, dry place at temperatures up to 30 ºС.