Zyrtec - histamine H 1 -receptor blocker; antiallergic drug with antiexudative and antipruritic action.
Release form and composition
Zyrtek dosage forms:
- Film-coated tablets 10 mg (7 or 10 pieces in a blister, 1 or 2 blisters per pack);
- Drops for oral administration 10 mg / ml (in bottles of 10 or 20 ml).
The active ingredient of Zyrtek is cetirizine dihydrochloride.
- Magnesium stearate;
- Lactose monohydrate,
- Microcrystalline cellulose;
- Colloidal silicon dioxide;
- Opadry Y-1-7000 consisting of hypromellose (E464), titanium dioxide (E171) and macrogol 400.
Auxiliary substances drops:
- Sodium saccharinate;
- Propyl parabenzene;
- Methyl Parabenzene;
- Sodium acetate,
- Propylene glycol;
- Glacial acetic acid;
- Purified water.
Indications for use
Zyrtec is prescribed for the treatment of:
- Year-round and seasonal rhinitis and conjunctivitis of an allergic nature, manifested by tearing, rhinorrhea, sneezing, itching, conjunctival hyperemia;
- Pollinosis (hay fever);
- Swelling Quincke;
- Urticaria, including chronic idiopathic;
- Other allergic dermatosis, accompanied by skin rash and itching, including atopic dermatitis.
Zyrtec is not prescribed for:
- Hereditary intolerance to galactose;
- Lactase deficiency;
- Glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome;
- Terminal stage of renal failure;
- Hypersensitivity to cetirizine dihydrochloride, auxiliary components and hydroxyzine.
In addition, the drug should not be taken by pregnant and lactating women.
As for the use of Zyrtek in pediatrics, tablets are not indicated for children under 6 years old, drops are up to 6 months.
Caution should be observed when treating patients:
- Old age;
- With chronic renal failure;
- With chronic liver disease.
Dosing and Administration
In the form of tablets Zyrtek appoint 10 mg once a day. Children are advised to start treatment with 5 mg (1/2 tablets), since in some cases this amount is sufficient to achieve a therapeutic effect.
In the form of drops Zyrtek appoint:
- Adults and children over 10 years old - 20 drops once a day;
- Children 2-6 years old - 10 drops once a day or 5 drops twice a day;
- Children 1-2 years old - 5 drops 1-2 times a day;
- Children 6-12 months - 5 drops once a day.
In case of renal insufficiency, the dosage is adjusted taking into account the creatinine clearance index:
- With CC 50-79 - 10 mg / day;
- With CC 30-49 - 5 mg / day;
- When QA is less than 30, 5 mg every other day.
Patients who are on hemodialysis drug is contraindicated.
With abnormal liver function dose adjustment is not required.
Basically, the drug is well tolerated.
In very rare cases, the following adverse reactions are noted when taking Zyrtek:
- Rhinitis, pharyngitis;
- Weight gain;
- Fatigue, malaise, swelling;
- Fuzzy vision, disturbance of accommodation, nystagmus;
- Urinary Disorder, enuresis;
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth, abnormal liver function;
- Headache, tic, insomnia, dizziness, confusion, agitation, depression, aggression, hallucinations, drowsiness, convulsions, paresthesia, dystonia, syncope, dyskinesia, tremor;
- Urticaria, rash, itching, angioedema, anaphylactic shock.
In case of cetirizine dihydrochloride overdose (with a single dose of more than 50 mg), dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue, confusion, headache, itching, mydriasis, weakness, indisposition, sedation, tachycardia, stupor, tremor, drowsiness, urinary retention are possible. If a patient accidentally takes a too high dose of Zyrtec, induce vomiting or gastric lavage as soon as possible. In the future, it is recommended to take activated charcoal and conduct symptomatic therapy. Hemodialysis is ineffective. There is no specific antidote for the drug.
There were no negative reactions in an objective assessment of the ability of patients to drive vehicles and perform work requiring increased attention span. However, during the period of treatment it is still recommended to refrain from engaging in potentially hazardous activities.
Alcohol should not be consumed while using Zyrtek.
The active substance analogues Zirtek are: Alerza, Allertek, Zetrinal, Zyntset, Zodak, Letizen, Parlazin, Cetirizine, Cetirizin Hexal, Cetirizin DS, Cetirinaks, Tsetrin, Cetirizin-Teva, Cetirizin-OBL.
A similar mechanism of action is characterized by: Glentset, Zodak Express, Xizal, Suprastinex, Cecera, Levocetirizin-Teva, Zenaro, Levocetirizin Sandoz, Alersat-L, Eltset.
Terms and conditions of storage
Drops should be stored at temperatures up to 25 ºC, tablets - up to 30 ºC. Do not allow direct sunlight. Zirtek shelf life is 5 years.