Zinnat is an antimicrobial drug of systemic action.
Release form and composition
Dosage Forms of Zinnat:
- Film-coated tablets 125 and 250 mg (5 or 10 pieces in blisters, 1 or 2 blisters per pack);
- Granules from which a suspension is prepared for oral administration of 125 mg / 5 ml (1.25 g each in bottles complete with a dosing spoon or a measuring cup).
The active ingredient of the drug is cefuroxime (in the form of axetil).
Tablet auxiliaries are:
- Colloidal silicon dioxide;
- Vegetable oil hydrogenated;
- Sodium lauryl sulfate;
- Croscarmellose sodium;
- Microcrystalline cellulose.
The composition of the film coating of tablets:
- Dye zasprey (titanium dioxide, hypromellose, sodium benzoate);
- Propyl parahydroxybenzoate;
- Propylene glycol;
- Methyl parahydroxybenzoate;
Auxiliary substances granules:
- Tutti-frutti flavoring;
- Acesulfame Potassium;
- Xanthan gum;
- Povidone K30;
- Stearic acid;
Indications for use
Zinnat is used in the treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to cefuroxime, namely:
- Diseases of the upper respiratory tract and upper respiratory tract, including pharyngitis, otitis media, tonsillitis and sinusitis;
- Infections of the lower respiratory tract, such as pneumonia, acute bacterial bronchitis and chronic bronchitis in the acute stage;
- Diseases of the urinary tract - pyelonephritis, urethritis, cystitis;
- Infections of the genital organs - cervicitis, gonorrhea, acute uncomplicated gonorrheal urethritis, cervicitis;
- Early stage Lyme disease;
- Diseases of soft tissues and skin - pyoderma, impetigo, furunculosis.
Zinnat is contraindicated if you are aware of hypersensitivity to cefuroxime, any drug cephalosporin group, or any auxiliary component.
As for the use of Zinnat in pediatrics, in the form of a suspension, the agent is not prescribed to newborns up to 3 months, in tablets - up to 3 years.
In addition, in the form of a suspension, the drug is contraindicated in phenylketonuria.
Tablets can not be crushed and broken, therefore, in this dosage form, Zinnat is not prescribed to patients who have difficulty in swallowing, including young children who cannot swallow the tablet completely.
Special observation during the period of treatment with an antibiotic should:
- Pregnant women;
- With diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including in history;
- Patients with impaired renal function;
- Breastfeeding women;
- People whose history has indications of an allergic reaction to beta-lactam antibiotics.
Dosing and Administration
In the form of tablets for adults Zinnat is prescribed:
- With urinary tract infections - 125 mg twice a day;
- For mild and moderate infections of the lower respiratory tract, pyelonephritis and most other infections, 250 mg twice a day;
- In severe diseases of the lower respiratory tract, pneumonia (or suspicion of it), Lyme disease (including in children over 12 years old) - 500 mg twice a day.
With uncomplicated gonorrhea, a single dose of 1 gram of cefuroxime is usually sufficient.
Children over 3 years old are usually prescribed:
- In severe cases of infectious diseases and otitis media, 250 mg twice a day;
- In other cases, 125 mg twice a day.
In the form of a suspension prepared from granules, Zinnat is prescribed to children older than 3 months. The dose depends on the age and / or weight of the child. The multiplicity of techniques - 2 times a day.
For infections of mild to moderate severity:
- Infants 3-6 months old (weighing 4-6 kg) are prescribed in 40-60 mg (no more than 1/2 measuring spoon 5 ml);
- Children 6-24 months (with a mass of 6-12 kg) - 60-120 mg each (1 / 2-1 scoop);
- Children 2-12 years old (weighing 12-20 kg) - 125 mg (1 ml).
With otitis media and severe infectious diseases:
- Babies 3-6 months old (with a weight of 4-6 kg) are prescribed 60-90 mg (approximately 1/2 or a little more than half a measuring spoon);
- Children 6-24 months (with a mass of 6-12 kg) - 60-120 mg to 90-180 mg (1-1.5 ml. L.);
- Children 2-12 years old (weighing 12-20 kg) - 180-250 mg each (1.5-2 ml. L.).
Both tablets and suspension are recommended after meals.
The duration of treatment is usually 5-10 days, with Lyme disease - 20 days.
Frequent side effects noted when taking Zinnat:
- Superinfection with Candida fungi;
- Headache, dizziness;
- Nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain;
- Transient increase in the level of liver enzymes ACT, ALT, LDH.
In rare cases, possible:
- False positive Coombs reaction;
- Thrombocytopenia, leukopenia;
- Skin rash, pruritus, urticaria;
- Pseudomembranous colitis.
In isolated cases are noted:
- Hemolytic anemia;
- Drug fever;
- Serum sickness;
- Jaundice (predominantly cholestatic);
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis;
- Erythema multiforme;
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.
An overdose of cefuroxime may cause an increase in the excitability of the brain, including the development of seizures. The serum concentration of the antibiotic can be reduced by peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis. Further treatment is symptomatic.
The entire period of treatment requires the control of renal function, especially in patients taking high doses of Zinnat.
If during the administration of the antibiotic or after the end of the course of treatment severe diarrhea has occurred, it is necessary to conduct a differential diagnosis of pseudomembranous colitis.
Patients with Lyme disease should be informed that they may experience a Jarish-Herxheimer reaction, manifested by chills, fever, decreased blood pressure, muscle pain, nausea, tachycardia, headache, the emergence of new or worsening existing symptoms of the underlying disease. These clinical signs are a typical consequence of the use of antibiotics for such a disease.
In the appointment of granules to patients with diabetes, it should be borne in mind that in 5 ml of the finished suspension contains 0.25 bread units.
Since dizziness is one of the frequent side effects of Zinnat, it is recommended to refrain from driving and performing potentially dangerous work at the beginning of treatment until the patient assesses the degree of adverse effects of the drug on the rate of his reactions.
The bioavailability of cefuroxime can reduce the drugs that reduce the acidity of gastric juice.
All antibacterial drugs, including Zinnat, affect the intestinal microflora, which can lead to a decrease in estrogen reabsorption and, consequently, to a decrease in the effectiveness of hormonal combined contraceptives intended for oral administration.
With simultaneous intake of Zinnat with loop diuretics, tubular secretion slows down, renal clearance decreases, plasma concentration increases, and the half-life of cefuroxime increases.
The combined use of Zinnat with diuretics and aminoglycosides increases the risk of nephrotoxic effects.
With the same active substance are produced Antibioksim preparations Aksosef, Atsenoveriz, Aksetin, Zinatsef, Ketotsef, Zinoksimor, Kefstar, proxies, CORF, super Tsefroksim J Cetyl Lupine Tsefurabol, Kabi Cefuroxime, Cefuroxime, Tsefurus.
The group of cephaloporins II generation also includes drugs Cefoxitin, Cefamabol, Cefaclor Stada, Cefat, Anaerotsef.
Terms and conditions of storage
Zinnat should be stored in a dark place at temperatures up to 30 ºC. Keep out of the reach of children! The shelf life of tablets is 3 years, granules - 2 years. The finished suspension must be stored in a refrigerator (at a temperature of 2-8 ºC), it can be used for 10 days.