Zentel is an antimicrobial and antiparasitic drug.
Release form and composition
Zentel is available in the form of tablets and suspensions for oral administration.
One tablet, 400 mg, placed in a blister pack, which is in a cardboard box. The tablet has a light orange color with splashes, an oblong rounded shape, biconvex.
Suspension is sold in a plastic bottle, 10 ml, which is placed in a pack of cardboard. The color of the suspension is from white to cream, the smell is vanilla and orange.
The active ingredient of Zentel is albendazole.
The tablets include albendazole and excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, lactose, sodium lauryl sulfate, corn starch, sodium croscarmellose, magnesium stearate, sodium saccharin, povidone, yellow dye, flavors (orange, vanilla, intensely fruity).
Oral suspension contains albendazole, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, magnesium aluminum silicate, polysorbate 80, glycerin, potassium sorbate, sorbitol monolaurate, sorbic acid, acid benzoic, sodium saccharin, Antifoam Silicone 1510, flavorings (intense fruity, vanilla and orange), purified water.
Indications for use
Zentel is used in the treatment of intestinal forms of helminthiasis: enterobiasis, necatoriasis, teniasis, hymenolepiasis, ankylostomiasis, ascariasis, strongyloidosis, clonorchosis, trichuriasis, giardiasis, opistarchosis. Low doses of the drug are used in the treatment of skin syndrome LarvaMigrans.
With systemic worm infestations, prolonged therapy with high doses is necessary.
In the case of alveolar echinococcosis, which is caused by Echinococcusmultilocularis, Zentel is prescribed:
- After operative palliative treatment;
- With radical surgical treatment or liver transplantation.
When cystic echinococcosis, which is caused by Echinococcus granulosus, the drug is used:
- Before surgery;
- If surgery is not possible;
- In the postoperative period: if live forms were identified, the prevalence of helminths was determined, in the case of short preoperative treatment;
- After percutaneous drainage conducted for the purpose of diagnosis or treatment.
In the case of neurocysticercosis caused by Taeniasolium larvae, Zentel is prescribed for such diseases:
- Granulomatous brain damage;
- Single or multiple cysts;
- Intraventricular or arachnoid cysts;
- Rational cysts.
Zentel is used for capillaryosis (caused by Capillaria philippinensis), trichanosis (caused by T. Pseudospiralis Trichinellaspiralis), gnatostomosis (caused by Gnathostomaspinigerum and other related species), tococarosis (caused by Toxocaracanis and other related species).
Contraindications for Zentel are:
- Individual hypersensitivity to the drug;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding period;
- Pathology of the retina.
Children up to one year is not recommended to use Zentel. At the age of 1-3 years, the drug is prescribed in the form of a suspension.
Dosing and Administration
Zentel tablets and suspension should be taken at the same time of day, along with food. Dosage and duration of treatment depends on the disease.
For intestinal infections:
- Pinworms, ascariasis, trichocephalosis, necatoriosis, ankylostomidosis, enterobiosis - 200 mg or 400 mg once;
- Hymenolepiasis, teniasis, strongyloidiasis - 400 mg once a day, for three days; for hymenolepiasis, it is recommended to repeat the course of therapy for 10-21 days;
- Opistarhoz, clonorchosis - 400 g 2 times a day, for three days in a row;
- Skin syndrome LarvaMigrans - 400 mg once a knock for 1-3 days.
In systemic helminth infections, the dosage of the intake is determined individually for each patient, taking into account the body weight, age and severity of the disease. With a body weight less than 60 kg, the dose of the drug is calculated on the basis of 15 mg / kg / day. This dose is divided into two doses, the maximum possible daily dose is 800 mg. If the body weight is more than 60 kg, 400 mg is prescribed twice a day.
The duration of treatment depends on the type of infection:
- Cystic echinococcosis - 28 days. With an inoperable form, three courses of therapy are performed, between which a break of 14 days is taken. Before the surgery, two courses are conducted with a break in between 14 days. If the preoperative course lasts less than 14 days or when viable cysts are observed, two treatments are performed after surgery with an interval of 14 days;
- Alveolar echinococcosis - 28 days. Therapy is carried out in two courses with a break of 14 days. Sometimes it is necessary to continue treatment for several months or years;
- Neurocysticarcosis - 7-31 days. In some cases, repeat treatment is prescribed after a two-week break.
With hepaticolesis, Zentel is prescribed 400 mg once a day for 10 days. In the case of gnatostomiasis, take the drug 400 mg once a day for 10–20 days. With toxocariasis and trichinosis, Zentel is recommended to take 400 mg twice a day for 5-10 days.
Suspension Zentel prescribed for pinworms, ascriasis, necatoriosis, ankilostomidosis, enterobiosis, trichocephalosis in children older than 2 years and adults 10 ml for 3 days.
In the case of opistarchosis, clonorchosis, children older than 2 years and adults take 10 ml twice a day for 3 days.
In case of lambio, children from 2 to 12 years old are prescribed 10 ml of suspension once a day for 5 days.
In treatment of skin syndrome LarvaMigrans, children over 2 years old and adults take 10 ml of suspension once a day, the course duration is 5 days.
The use of Zentel can lead to the development of the following side effects:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain;
- Dizziness, headache;
- Increased liver enzymes, sometimes - hepatitis;
- Leukopenia, sometimes - agranulocytosis, pancytopenia, applastic anemia;
- Reversible alopecia, erythema polymorphic, Stevens-Johnson syndrome;
- Renal impairment;
- High blood pressure;
- Reactions of the body in the form of skin rashes, urticaria, burning and itching of the skin.
Women of childbearing age are advised to treat Zentel in the first week after menstruation or after receiving negative results of the pregnancy test. This is necessary in order to avoid taking the drug in early pregnancy. In the case of a systemic infection, it is necessary to be protected by reliable means of contraception during the course of therapy and another month after its termination.
Sometimes when taking Zentel there is a slight or moderate increase in liver enzymes. After discontinuation of the drug, this indicator returns to normal. However, before starting each course of therapy and every two weeks of treatment, it is necessary to determine the performance of the liver. The drug is canceled with an increase in transaminase 2 times or more. Continuation of treatment is possible after the return of these indicators to normal values.
At the beginning of treatment and every two weeks, blood tests should be performed. This is due to the possibility of the development of leukopenia, in which Zentel therapy is canceled.
Patients who are treated with this drug for neurocystic cirrhosis may experience headaches. Their cause is an increase in intracranial pressure caused by the death of parasites. In this case, you should immediately begin therapy with anticonvulsants and steroids.
For the period of treatment Zentel recommended to refrain from driving.
The analogs of Zentel include Albenazol, Angelmin, Nemozol, Aldazol, Wormil.
Terms and conditions of storage
Tablets and suspension are stored in places inaccessible to children, at a temperature of not more than 25ºС. Direct sunlight on the packaging of drugs is not allowed.