Zantak is a histamine H 2 receptor blocker with anti-ulcer action.
Release form and composition
Zantak is produced in the form of:
- Effervescent tablets (soluble in water);
- Coated tablets for oral administration;
- Solution for in / in and in / m injections.
The active ingredient of the drug is ranitidine hydrochloride. In one tablet (both effervescent and coated) it contains 150 or 300 mg, in 1 ml of solution - 25 mg.
- Effervescent tablets: sodium bicarbonate, anhydrous sodium mono-citrate, sodium benzoate, povidone K30, aspartame, grapefruit and orange flavors;
- Coated tablets: methyl hydroxypropyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, triacetin, titanium dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose;
- Solution: injectable water, sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen phosphate dibasic, anhydrous, potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate and nitrogen.
Implemented by Zantac:
- Effervescent tablets - 6 and 10 pcs. in blisters of aluminum or 15 pcs. in polypropylene tubes;
- Coated tablets - 10 pcs. in a blister, 1 or 2 blisters per package;
- The solution is in ampoules of 2 ml, 5 ampoules per pack.
Indications for use
Zantak is used for:
- Reflux esophagitis;
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease;
- Ulcers of the duodenum associated with Helicobacter pylori infection and NSAID administration;
- Benign gastric ulcers, including those associated with taking NSAIDs;
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome;
- Postoperative ulcers;
- Chronic episodic dyspepsia, characterized by chest or epigastric pain, which do not belong to the above conditions, but disrupt sleep or are associated with food intake.
The drug can also be prescribed for the prevention of:
- Duodenal ulcers in patients taking NSAIDs (including acetylsalicylic acid), especially in the presence of a peptic ulcer in history;
- Recurrent bleeding from peptic ulcers;
- Stress ulcers of the stomach in critically ill patients;
- Mendelssohn's syndrome (aspiration of acidic contents of the stomach during anesthesia).
Zantak is not prescribed for:
- Hypersensitivity to ranitidine / excipients;
- Acute porphyria, in anamnesis including.
In pediatrics, the drug is not used until the age of 12 years.
Caution in the period of use Zantak should be observed in case of renal / hepatic insufficiency, with instructions in the history of cirrhosis of the liver with portosystemic encephalopathy.
With caution effervescent tablets Zantak prescribed to patients with phenylketonuria, due to the presence in their composition of aspartame.
Dosing and Administration
In the form of a Zantak solution, they are administered:
- Intramuscularly in a dose of 50 mg every 6-8 hours;
- Slowly intravenously (at least 2 minutes) - at a dosage of 50 mg, diluted to a volume of 20 ml, every 6-8 hours;
- In the form of an intermittent intravenous infusion, in a dose of 50 mg at a rate of 25 mg / h (within 2 hours), with repeated administration after 6-8 hours.
In case of renal insufficiency, the dose is halved to 25 mg.
For the prevention of Mendelssohn's syndrome, the drug is administered intramuscularly or slowly into / in a single dose approximately 1 hour before anesthesia at a dosage of 50 mg.
Zantac Injection Solution is compatible with:
- 0.9% and 0.18% sodium chloride solution;
- 4% and 5% dextrose solution;
- Hartman's solution;
- 4.2% sodium bicarbonate solution.
Coated tablets should be taken orally with water. Effervescent tablets before taking must be dissolved in water, the amount of which depends on the dose of the drug: for a 300 mg tablet you will need at least 150 ml, for a 150 mg tablet - at least 75 ml.
Dose Zantak is determined individually based on the evidence. As a rule, it is prescribed to take 150 mg from 1 to 3 times a day. In more severe cases, a single dosage may be increased to 300 mg. The duration of treatment depends on the severity of the disease and is 2-12 weeks.
For patients with renal insufficiency in tablet form, Zantak is prescribed in a dose of 150 mg once a day.
For ulcers associated with Helicobacter pylori, Zantac is usually used in combination with metronidazole and amoxicillin.
For prophylactic purposes, it is enough to take the drug twice a day at a dosage of 150 mg.
When treating peptic ulcers for children, the dose is calculated on the basis of a weight of 2-4 mg per kg of weight twice a day, the maximum permissible daily dose is 300 mg.
The digestive system can react to Zantak with dry mouth, nausea and / or vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, transient and reversible changes in liver function tests. In individual cases, hepatitis develops (cholestatic, hepatocellular, or mixed), including jaundice, as well as acute pancreatitis, diarrhea.
Thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, pancytopenia, agranulocytosis, immune hemolytic anemia, hypoplasia or aplasia of the bone marrow are sometimes noted on the part of the hematopoietic system.
Possible disorders of the cardiovascular system are AV blockade, lowering blood pressure, bradycardia and arrhythmia, and sometimes vasculitis.
Side effects that in some cases occur from the central nervous system: increased drowsiness and fatigue, headache, dizziness, tinnitus, irritability, blurred vision, involuntary movement disorders. In elderly and severely ill patients, hallucinations, confusion and depression are possible.
Ranitidine can cause endocrine disorders, manifested by amenorrhea, gynecomastia, hyperprolactinemia, decreased libido, reversible impotence, discomfort or swelling of the mammary glands in men.
There are rare reports of the development of arthralgia and myalgia during the period of Zanthak. Some patients report hair loss.
Possible allergic reactions due to hypersensitivity to any component of the drug: skin rash, angioedema, chest pain, fever, urticaria, arterial hypotension, bronchospasm, erythema multiforme, anaphylactic shock.
Ranitidine may affect the result of the test for the presence of protein in the urine.
Overdose symptoms include ventricular arrhythmias, bradycardia, and seizures. Symptomatic treatment, with convulsions intravenous diazepam, with arrhythmias and bradycardia - atropine and lidocaine. Hemodialysis promotes the rapid removal of ranitidine from plasma.
With the abrupt cancellation of the drug may develop rebound syndrome - the patient's condition deterioration to the original, and sometimes - to more severe.
Zantak can mask the symptoms of gastric carcinoma. For this reason, before using the drug in patients with gastric ulcers, the possibility of malignancy (cancer cell degeneration) should be excluded. This is also required for middle-aged and elderly people when new or dyspepsia symptoms appear in them.
The effectiveness of ranitidine reduces smoking.
The composition of effervescent tablets Zantak includes sodium, this should be borne in mind by persons who are shown to limit its consumption.
During the treatment period it is recommended:
- Do not eat food, drinks and other drugs that can irritate the gastric mucosa;
- Refrain from driving a vehicle and performing potentially hazardous work.
Ranitidine reduces the absorption of ketoconazole and itraconazole. If necessary, their simultaneous use Zantac is recommended to take after 2 hours.
Antacids and sucralfat violate the absorption of ranitidine, so at least 2-hour intervals should be observed between taking these drugs.
Ranitidine, in turn, inhibits the metabolism of calcium antagonists, indirect anticoagulants, aminophenazone, phenazone, hexobarbital, buformin and glipizid.
With the combined use of Zantak with drugs that suppress the bone marrow, the risk of developing neutropenia increases.
Like all histamine H 2 -receptor blockers, Zantac can:
- Counteract the effects of histamine and pentagastrin on the acid-forming function of the stomach;
- Suppress the skin reaction to histamine, leading to false-negative tests.
For this reason, Zantaq should not be taken within 24 hours prior to conducting a test or a diagnostic skin test to detect an immediate type of skin allergic reaction.
Structural analogs of Zantak are Gistak, Atzilok, Zoran, Rantak, Ranisan, Ranigast, Ranitidine, Ulkodin and Ulran.
Ulfamid, Gastrosidin, Famotidin, Kvamatel, Famosan and Cimetidine have a similar effect on the human body.
Terms and conditions of storage
Zantak is a prescription drug. Keep it, regardless of the form of release, should be in a dark place at temperatures up to 25 ºC.
- Effervescent tablets - 2 years, the solution prepared from them - no more than a day;
- Solution and coated tablets at a dose of 300 mg - 3 years;
- Coated tablets 150 mg - 5 years.