Worm - a broad-spectrum antihelminthic agent, effective against tissue and intestinal forms of parasitic diseases, affecting both adult worms and eggs, cysts and larvae.
Release form and composition
The drug is produced in the form of chewable tablets, oral suspension and powder for preparing the suspension in sachets.
The composition of the tablets Worm includes:
- 400 mg albendazole;
- Auxiliary substances: corn starch, sodium starch glycolate, purified talc, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate, magnesium stearate, colloidal silicon dioxide, aspartame, methyl sodium hydroxybenzoate, essence of mixed fruits.
In 5 ml of suspension Worm contains:
- 200 mg of albendazole;
- Excipients: sucrose, sodium methylhydroxybenzoate, erythrosine, sodium benzoate, croscarmellose sodium, propylhydroxybenzoate, glycerol, polysorbate 80, purified water, raspberry essence and mixed fruit essence.
One package (10 g) of Wormil powder contains:
- 200 mg of albendazole;
- Excipients: sodium citrate, sucrose, monohydrate, sorbitol (E 420), anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide, sodium chloride, citric acid, xanthan gum, orange flavor, yellow sunset (E 110), aspartame (E 951).
Indications for use
According to the instructions to Wormil, the drug is intended for the treatment of:
- Cutaneous migratory larvae;
- Child giardiasis;
Use Worm, according to the instructions, is contraindicated:
- Pregnant women;
- In preparation for pregnancy;
- While breastfeeding;
- Children up to 1 year;
- If hypersensitivity to albendazole or any auxiliary component of the drug.
Dosing and Administration
In each case, the doctor determines the specific dose of Wormil individually for each patient, taking into account the type of pathogen, the severity of the disease and the general condition of the patient.
When ankilostomiasis, necatoria, enterobiasis, ascariasis and trichinosis, as a rule, take 400 mg of albendazole once a day for 3-5 days.
If you suspect hymenolepiasis, as well as with strongyloidosis and teniasis, take 400 mg once a day for 3 days. If hymenolepiasis is confirmed, after 21 days, the 3-day course should be repeated.
When mixed invasion Chlonorchis sinensis and Opisthorchis viverrini, oporhoz and clonorhoz appoint 400 mg twice a day. The duration of treatment is 3 days.
When giardiasis in children take 400 mg once a day for 5 days.
In case of systemic helminth invasion, the dose of Wormil is prescribed taking into account the type of parasite, the severity of the course of the disease, and the weight of the patient.
In cystic echinococcosis, people over 60 kg receive 400 mg twice a day, patients weighing less than 60 kg take 15 mg of albendazole per kilogram of weight (this dose is divided into 2 doses). The maximum daily dosage is 800 mg. Duration of use Worm - 28 days. In severe cases, three treatment cycles are performed at 2-week intervals.
In similar doses and the same courses, they treat alveolar echinococcosis, but, if necessary, therapy can last for several months or even years.
The same schemes are shown for neurocystecyrrhage, but the duration of treatment is from 7 to 14 days.
For skin migratory larvae, the drug is taken on 400 mg once a day for 1-3 days.
400 mg of albendazol is taken in case of capillaria and gnatostomiasis. In the first case, the treatment lasts 10 days, in the second - 10-20 days.
Tablets should be chewed before swallowing. Before taking the powder, it is necessary to dissolve in 50-100 ml of water and mix well until it is completely dissolved.
Young children are preferable to give a suspension, including one prepared from powder.
To increase the therapeutic effect of Wormil, it is recommended to take it after a meal.
Possible side effects of Wormil:
- Dry mouth, vomiting, heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, flatulence, stomatitis, constipation, or diarrhea (reactions of the digestive system);
- Headache, confusion, drowsiness or insomnia, disorientation, dizziness, hallucinations, convulsions (phenomena from the nervous system);
- Decreased visual acuity (undesirable effect on the part of the organ of vision);
- Leukopenia and pancytopenia (reactions from the blood system).
In the presence of hypersensitivity to any component of the drug there is a risk of developing urticaria, itching, fever, dermatitis and pemphigus.
Albendazole is strictly contraindicated for pregnant women, so before starting the use of Wormil, it is recommended to take a pregnancy test to prevent the drug from being taken in the early stages.
During the period of treatment with this remedy, it is necessary to monitor the laboratory parameters; if they are more than 2 times higher than normal, it is necessary to immediately stop taking Wormil until they are completely normalized.
At the beginning of each treatment cycle and every 2 weeks of long courses of therapy, the level of leukocytes must be monitored. With the development of leukopenia, the drug can be continued if the condition does not progress.
When combined with Wormil dexamethasone, cimetidine and praziquantel, it is possible to increase the concentration of albendazole metabolites.
The following drugs are analogues of Wormil: Albendazole, Aldazol, Angelmin, Helmodol-VM, Zentel, Nemozol, Medizol, Sanoxal, and Farmox.
Terms and conditions of storage
From pharmacies Worm released by prescription. Store it in a dark and dry place at room temperature (not higher than 25 ºС). Under these conditions, the shelf life of the powder and suspension is 2 years, chewable tablets - 3 years.