Vilprafen - an antimicrobial agent for systemic use, which is an antibiotic of the macrolide group.
Release form and composition
Vilprafen is available in the form of film-coated tablets containing:
- 500 mg of josamycin;
- Excipients: 101 mg of microcrystalline cellulose, 14 mg of colloidal silicon dioxide, 10 mg of carmellose sodium, 5 mg of magnesium stearate and polysorbate 80 each.
The shell contains aluminum hydroxide, polyethylene glycol 6000, methylcellulose, titanium dioxide, talc, methacrylic acid copolymer and its esters.
Vilprafen is implemented in 10 tablets in blister packs packed in cardboard packs.
Indications for use
According to the instructions to Vilprafen, the drug is intended for the treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to josamycin. In particular, it is used to treat:
- Infections of the upper respiratory tract and ENT organs, including sinusitis, otitis media, laryngitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, peritonsillitis;
- Infectious diseases of the lower respiratory tract, including community-acquired pneumonia, acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis in the acute stage;
- Diphtheria (in combination with diphtheria antitoxin);
- Ophthalmic infections, incl. dacryocystitis and blepharitis;
- Infectious dental diseases, including alveolitis, pericoronitis, alveolar abscess, gingivitis;
- Whooping cough;
- Burn and wound (including postoperative) infections;
- GI diseases associated with Helicobacter pylori, including chronic gastritis, peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcers;
- Infections of the skin and soft tissues, incl. phlegmon, lymphadenitis, lymphangitis, abscess, furunculosis, folliculitis, phlegmon, felon, erysipelas, acne, anthrax;
- Infectious diseases of the genital and urinary tract caused by chlamydia or mycoplasma, including urethritis, epididymitis, prostatitis, cervicitis;
- Venereal lymphogranulomas.
When hypersensitivity to penicillin Vilprafen prescribed for the treatment of scarlet fever, as well as syphilis and gonorrhea.
The use of Vilprafen, according to the instructions, is contraindicated:
- With severe abnormal liver function;
- In case of hypersensitivity to josamycin, any auxiliary component of the drug, or other macrolide antibiotics;
- Children weighing less than 10 kg.
If indicated, the drug is prescribed during pregnancy and during breastfeeding, but after a thorough assessment of the expected benefits for the woman and the potential risks to her child. It is worth noting that the WHO European Office specifically josamycin recommends as a drug of choice for chlamydial infections in pregnant women.
Dosing and Administration
Children older than 14 years and adults Vilprafen usually appoint 500 mg three times a day. In some cases, the daily dose may be increased to 3 grams.
The duration of treatment in each case is determined by the attending physician, taking into account the type of infection and the severity of the disease. The course can last from 5 to 21 days.
In the schemes of antihelicobacter therapy of gastrointestinal diseases, Vilprafen is prescribed at a dose of 1 g twice a day in combination with other drugs in their standard dosages. The duration of treatment in this case is 7-14 days.
In the presence of atrophy of the gastric mucosa, accompanied by achlorhydria (absence of free hydrochloric acid in the gastric juice), confirmed during pH-metry, the following combination of drugs is recommended: 1 g of josamycin twice a day + 1 g of amoxicillin twice a day + 240 mg bismuth tri-potassium dicitrate twice a day.
With spherical and common eels, Vilprafen is taken 500 mg twice a day for 2-4 weeks (at the discretion of the physician), then 500 mg once a day for 8 weeks (as maintenance therapy).
The most frequent side effects of the drug are stomach discomfort and nausea.
In some cases, the use of Vilprafen is accompanied by:
- Vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, stomatitis, pseudomembranous colitis;
- Hepatic dysfunction and jaundice;
- Transient hearing impairment (this side effect is dose dependent);
In the presence of hypersensitivity or intolerance to the components of Vilprafen, there is a risk of developing allergic reactions: urticaria, angioedema, bullous dermatitis, anaphylactoid reactions, erythema multiforme.
Not recommended, and in some cases, the simultaneous use of vilprafen with:
- Lincosamides, because the effectiveness of both drugs decreases;
- Cyclosporin, because josamycin increases its blood concentration and the risk of nephrotoxicity;
- Xanthines, because macrolide antibiotics slow down their elimination, which can lead to intoxication;
- Antihistamine preparations containing astemizole and terfenadine, because their excretion slows down, which increases the risk of life-threatening arrhythmias;
- Digoxin, because There is a possibility of increasing its serum concentration.
The structural analogue of the drug is Viluprafen Solutab.
The analogs of Wilprafen on the mechanism of action: Azaks, Azivok, Azimitsin, Azitral, Azitroks, Azithromycin, AzitRus, Arvitsin, Zetamax, Z-factor, Zitrolid, Zitrotsin, Ketek, Klabaks, Clarbakt, Clarithromycin, Claritsin, Clromin, Zelromin, Zarromin, Kerom, Claromin; Oleandomycin, Remora, Rovamitsin, Rokseptin, Roksitromitsin, Rulid, Spiramisar, Spiramycin, Sumaklid, Sumamed, Sumamoks, Fromilid, Hemomitsin, Ecositrin, Ecomed, Eomycin, Erythromycin, etc.
Terms and conditions of storage
Vilprafen is a prescription antibiotic. According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, it should be stored at temperatures up to 25 ° C in a place protected from sunlight. Under these conditions, the shelf life of tablets is 4 years.