Viferon is a drug with an immunomodulatory, antiviral and anti-proliferative effect.
Release form and composition
Viferon is available in the form of rectal suppositories, ointments and gel for external use, in which the main active ingredient is recombinant human interferon alpha-2b.
Auxiliary substances in the preparation are:
- Rectal suppositories - confectionary fat and cocoa butter (base), ascorbic acid, polysorbate 80, sodium ascorbate, alpha-tocopherol acetate, edetate disodium dihydrate;
- Ointment - anhydrous lanolin, medical vaseline, purified water, tocopherol acetate, peach oil;
- Gel - methionine, alpha-tocopherol acetate, benzoic acid, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, citric acid monohydrate, glycerol, sodium chloride, human serum albumin solution, purified water, sodium carmellose, ethanol.
Rectal suppositories Viferon are available in 150000, 500000, 1000000, 3000000 IU in blister packs of 10 pieces each, ointment of 40000 IU and gel of 36000 IU in aluminum tubes of 12 g each.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Viferon in the form of rectal suppositories is used in complex treatment:
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases of the newborn, including premature infants (intrauterine infection (mycoplasmosis, chlamydia, candidiasis, enterovirus infection, CMV infection, herpes), meningitis, sepsis);
- SARS, pneumonia;
- Urogenital infectious and inflammatory diseases (trichomoniasis, chlamydia, ureaplasmosis, CMV infection, gardnerellosis, bacterial vaginosis, human papillomavirus infection, mycoplasmosis, recurrent vaginal candidiasis);
- Primary or recurrent herpes of the skin and mucous membranes;
- Chronic viral hepatitis B, C and D.
Viferon in the form of ointment is used for:
- Influenza and SARS in children over 12 months;
- Viral lesions of the skin and mucous membranes of various locations.
According to the instructions, Viferon in the form of a gel is used in complex treatment:
- Recurrent stenosing laryngotracheobronchitis;
- Herpetic cervicitis;
- Acute herpes infection of the skin and mucous membranes and its recurrences;
as well as for the prevention of SARS and recurrent stenosing laryngotracheobronchitis.
According to the instructions, Viferon in any form does not apply when the patient is sensitive to the components of the drug.
Dosing and Administration
Ointment and gel Viferon intended for external local use.
For ARVI, a thin layer of ointment is applied 3-4 times a day on the mucous membrane of the nasal passages during the entire period of the disease.
In case of herpes infection, a thin layer of ointment is applied 3-4 times a day on the lesions within 5-7 days. Treatment should begin when the first symptoms of the disease (redness, burning, itching) occur. With recurrent herpes, treatment begins in the prodromal period or when the first symptoms of relapse appear.
Children aged 1-2 years ointment is applied 3 times a day, 2-12 years - 4 times a day on the mucous membrane of the nasal passages during the entire period of the disease.
Viferon gel is applied with a strip of about 0.5 cm in length:
- In the treatment of acute respiratory viral infections - on the surface of the tonsils or the surface of the nasal mucosa 3-5 times a day with a cotton swab, cotton swab or spatula for 5 days;
- In order to prevent ARVI, to the surface of the nasal mucosa or to the palatine tonsils 2 times a day during the period of rising incidence for 2-4 weeks;
- In case of recurrent stenosing laryngotracheobronchitis - on the tonsils in the acute stage of the disease for 5-7 days 5 times a day, then for 3 weeks 3 times a day;
- In order to prevent recurrent stenosing laryngotracheobronchitis - to palatine tonsils for 3-4 weeks, 2 times a day, with a repetition of the course 2 times a year;
- At the first symptoms of acute and chronic recurrent herpetic infection - on the affected surface for 5-6 days 3-5 times a day or until clinical manifestations are eliminated.
In case of herpetic cervicitis, Viferon gel is applied to the surface of the cervix of the uterus cleared of mucus with a cotton swab in a volume of 1 ml 2 times a day for 7-14 days.
Before applying Viferon in the form of a gel:
- On the nasal mucosa - nasal passages must be cleaned;
- On the tonsils - do not eat at least half an hour.
- On the cervix - a gauze or cotton swab to remove secretions and mucus from the arches of the vagina and cervix.
When applying the gel to the surface of the tonsils, do not touch them with a cotton swab, but only with a gel.
30-40 minutes after the application of the gel, a thin film is formed on the affected areas of the mucous membranes and skin, on which the preparation can be applied again.
Viferon suppositories are intended for rectal use.
Dosage and frequency of use of Viferon in the form of suppositories:
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases of the newborn - 1 suppository of 150,000 IU, 2 times a day for 5 days;
- ORVI - children over 7 years old and adults - 1 suppository 500,000 IU, for children under 7 years old - 1 suppository 150,000 IU 2 times a day with an interval of 12 hours for 5 days;
- Urogenital infectious and inflammatory diseases - 1 suppository of 500,000 IU, 2 times a day for 5-10 days.
- Chronic viral hepatitis B, C and D - for adults - 1 suppository 3000000 2 times a day for 10 days, then 6-12 months 3 times a week; children up to 6 months - 300000-500000 IU per day, 6-12 months - 500000 IU per day; 1-7 years - 3,000,000 IU per square meter of body surface per day; older than 7 years - 5,000,000 IU per square meter of body surface per day;
- Primary or recurrent herpes infection of the skin and mucous membranes - 1 suppository of 1,000,000 IU 2 times a day for 10 days.
When using Viferon as an ointment, mild adverse reactions may occur that disappear after drug withdrawal.
Gel and suppositories may cause allergic reactions in highly sensitive patients.
When applying Viferon should be borne in mind that:
- An opened tube with ointment can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than one month;
- An open tube with a gel can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two months.
Viferon analogues are drugs: Interferon Alfa-2, Interal-P.
Terms and conditions of storage
Viferon is stored at a temperature of 2-8 ºC in places not accessible to children, no more than two years.