Veroshpiron is a potassium-sparing diuretic.
Release form and composition
Make tablets and capsules Veroshpiron.
The tablets contain 25 mg of spironolactone, as well as auxiliary components: colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, talc.
One capsule of Veroshpiron contains 50 or 100 mg of spironolactone, as well as auxiliary components: magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, lactose monohydrate, corn starch.
In blisters of 10 pieces.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Veroshpiron is prescribed for:
- Essential hypertension (in combination with other drugs);
- Hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia (for the purpose of prophylaxis with diuretic therapy);
- Edematous syndrome on the background of chronic heart failure (as the main drug or in combination with other drugs);
- Primary hyperaldosteronism (Crohn's syndrome) - a short time in the preoperative period;
- Conditions involving secondary hyper aldosteronism, including nephrotic syndrome, liver cirrhosis and other conditions accompanied by edema.
Veroshpiron is also prescribed in order to establish the diagnosis of primary hyperaldosteronism.
According to the instructions, Veroshpiron is contraindicated in the following cases:
- High content of potassium and / or sodium in the body;
- Addison's Disease;
- Severe renal failure;
- Period of pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Children's age up to 3 years;
- Lactose intolerance, lack of lactase, impaired glucose / galactose absorption syndrome;
- Hypersensitivity to the active or auxiliary components of the drug.
In the application of Veroshpiron should be careful when:
- Metabolic acidosis;
- Increased calcium in the body;
- AV blockade;
- General or local anesthesia;
- Old age;
- The simultaneous use of drugs that cause gynecomastia;
- Disorders of the menstrual cycle;
- Severe liver failure;
- Diabetic nephropathy;
- Breast enlargement;
- Surgical interventions.
Dosing and Administration
The drug is taken orally. With essential hypertension, the dose of Veroshpiron is 50-100 mg once. If necessary, allowed to increase to 200 mg for 1-2 weeks. The duration of treatment is at least 2 weeks.
With idiopathic hyperaldosteronism, the dose of Veroshpiron is 100-400 mg per day.
With hypokalemia and pronounced hyperaldosteronism, 300 mg of the drug is prescribed, divided into 2-3 doses with a gradual decrease to 25 mg per day in case of improvement.
In order to diagnose primary hyperaldosteronism, the use of Veroshpiron lasts 4 days, 400 mg per day, divided into several doses. If during the medication an increase in potassium in the blood and its decrease after discontinuation of the drug is observed, the presence of primary hyper aldosteronism should be assumed. After the diagnosis Veroshpiron is taken in the preoperative period in a dose of 100-400 mg, divided into several doses.
When hypomagnesemia or hypokalemia caused by taking diuretics, Veroshpiron prescribed in a dose of 25-100 mg per day. The maximum dose should not exceed 400 mg per day.
In the treatment of edema that occurs on the background of nephrotic syndrome, adult patients take medication at 100-200 mg per day. The use of Veroshpiron in these cases is shown only in cases where other types of therapy are ineffective.
In edema syndrome against the background of chronic heart failure, Veroshpiron is shown for 5 days with 100-200 mg in combination with thiazide or “loop” diuretics.
When edema arising on the background of liver cirrhosis, the dose of Veroshpiron is 100 mg per day. Maximum - 400 mg per day
In children with edema, the initial dose of Veroshpiron is 1-1.3 mg per kg of weight or 30-90 mg / m 2 / day in 1-4 doses. If necessary, 5 days after the start of therapy, the dose is increased three times as compared with the initial one.
The use of Veroshpiron can cause the following side effects from various systems of the vital activity of the organism:
- The digestive system: nausea and vomiting, abnormal stool, bleeding from the digestive tract, intestinal colic, gastritis, abnormal liver function, abdominal pain;
- Central and peripheral nervous systems: inhibition, dizziness, ataxia, drowsiness, headache;
- Hematopoietic system: thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis;
- Metabolism: hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, hyperuricemia, metabolic hyperchloremic acidosis or alkalosis;
- Allergies: skin rash, pruritus, urticaria, drug fever;
- Endocrine system: gynecomastia, amenorrhea, pain in the mammary glands, dysmenorrhea, reduced potency, coarsening of the voice.
In the case of hyperkalemia and reduced kidney function, the use of Veroshpiron can cause an increase in the level of urea nitrogen in the blood serum. Development of reversible hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis is not excluded.
Veroshpiron should be prescribed with caution in diabetes mellitus, especially when combined with diabetic nephropathy, as there is a risk of hyperkalemia.
During drug therapy it is forbidden to consume alcoholic beverages.
At the initial stage of treatment with Verohspiron, it is prohibited to control potentially dangerous mechanisms that require increased concentration of attention. Subsequently, this issue should be addressed with the doctor on an individual basis.
Analogs of Veroshpiron and drugs that have similar pharmacological effects are:
- Aldacton A.
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions, Veroshpiron should be stored in a dry, dark and out of reach of children. Shelf life of the drug is 5 years.