Ventolin - beta2-adrenergic, bronchodilator drug.
Release form and composition
The drug is released in the form of a metered-dose aerosol for inhalation, which is a white or almost white suspension.
200 doses are implemented in aluminum inhalers with a dosing device and a protective cap, contains:
- Salbutamol sulphate micronized: in one dose - 120.5 mcg, in an inhaler - 28.92 mg (equivalent to 100 mcg and 240 mg of salbutamol, respectively);
- Propellant (1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane) as an excipient, which in 1 dose contains up to 75 mg, in an inhaler - up to 18 grams.
Indications for use
According to the instructions to Ventolin, the drug is intended for:
- Relief of bronchial asthma;
- Prevention of bronchospasm attacks caused by exercise or due to exposure to an allergen;
- Maintenance therapy in bronchial asthma (as one of the components of complex treatment).
In addition, Ventolin, according to the instructions, can be used for chronic bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, if it is accompanied by a reversible airway obstruction.
According to the annotation to the drug, the use of Ventolin is contraindicated in:
- Threatening abortion;
- The management of preterm labor;
- Hypersensitivity to salbutamol or auxiliary component.
Ventolin is prescribed, but with extreme caution, during the periods of pregnancy and lactation, if necessary, the simultaneous use of non-selective beta-blockers, as well as all patients, if they currently have or have a history of:
- Decompensated diabetes;
- Severe chronic heart failure;
- Coronary heart disease;
- Heart defects;
- Aortic stenosis;
- Epileptic seizures;
- Renal / hepatic failure.
Dosing and Administration
For the relief of bronchial asthma for adults, the drug is prescribed at a dosage of 100-200 mcg (1-2 doses), for children - 100 mcg. The maximum frequency rate of use of Ventolin - 4 times a day.
The duration of the drug in most patients - 4-6 hours. It is important to understand that the need for higher doses or more frequent use of the inhaler indicates a worsening course of the disease. In this case, it is recommended to immediately consult a doctor.
To prevent attacks of bronchospasm in adults, Ventolin is prescribed in 2 doses (200 mcg of salbutamol), and children — 1 dose (100 mcg) 10-15 minutes before the load or the expected effect of the provoking factor.
In some cases, in agreement with the attending doctor, an increase in the dosage for children up to 200 mcg of salbutamol is allowed.
As a maintenance therapy in bronchial asthma, both adults and children are prescribed Ventolin at a dose of 100-200 mg four times a day.
If it is necessary to treat infants and small children with Ventolin, it is advisable to use a spacer device with a face mask.
- Remove the cap;
- Shake the inhaler well;
- Take the inhaler between the thumb and forefinger bottom up so that the thumb rests on the base under the mouthpiece;
- Slowly take a deep breath;
- To clasp the mouthpiece with your lips and, taking the deepest possible breath with your mouth, press the upper part of the inhaler;
- Hold your breath for a few seconds, take the mouthpiece out of your mouth;
- Exhale slowly;
- If you need a second dose, wait about 30 seconds and repeat steps 2-7;
- Close the mouthpiece cap.
Stages 4, 5, 6 and 7 should be carried out without haste. Inhale is recommended to start as slowly as possible, immediately before pressing the valve.
The most common side effects of Ventolin are tremor, headache and tachycardia.
In some cases, the use of Ventolin arise:
- Rarely: hypokalemia, palpitation, peripheral vasodilation, irritation of the oral mucosa and pharynx, muscle cramps;
- Very rarely: hypersensitivity reactions (including urticaria, hypotension, angioedema, bronchospasm and collapse), hyperactivity, arrhythmias (including extrasystole, supraventricular tachycardia and atrial fibrillation).
In addition, there are isolated cases of paradoxical bronchospasm with increased wheezing immediately after inhalation. This condition is dangerous and requires immediate treatment using an alternative dosage form of release or other fast-acting inhaled bronchodilator.
Ventolin, like all bronchodilators, should not be the main or only component of the treatment of bronchial asthma in its severe or unstable course.
Treatment of the disease is recommended in stages, exercising control over lung function and the clinical response of the patient to therapy.
In the event that the effect of the drug is not observed within 3 hours after applying the dose of Ventolin, which was previously effective, you should consult a doctor.
The hypokalemic effect of salbutamol is enhanced by glucocorticosteroids and diuretics.
Structural analogues of Ventolin: Astalin, Ventolin Nebula, Salamol Steri-Neb, Salamol Eco, Salben, Salbutamol, Salgim, Zibutol.
Analogs on the mechanism of action: Atimos, Berotek, Berotek N, Oxis Turbuhaler, Onbrez Brizhaler, Serevent, Foradil, Formoterol Izikheiler, Infortispir Respimat, Stryverdi Respect.
Terms and conditions of storage
From pharmacies Ventolin dispensed by prescription. The aluminum inhaler should be stored in a place protected from direct sunlight at a temperature of up to 30 ºС. The shelf life of the aerosol is 2 years.