Velaksin - a drug used in the treatment of depression.
Release form and composition
Velaxin is available in the form of tablets and capsules, the main active ingredient of which is venlafaxine hydrochloride.
As excipients in the preparation used:
- Tablets - microcrystalline cellulose, lactose monohydrate, sodium carboxymethyl starch, anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate;
- Capsules - sodium chloride, microcrystalline cellulose, ethylcellulose, dimethicone, talc, copovidone, potassium chloride, anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide, xanthan gum, iron oxide yellow.
Velaksin capsules are available in 75 and 150 g in blisters, 28 or 30 pieces per pack, tablets - 37.5 and 75 mg in blisters, 14, 28 or 56 pieces per pack.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Velaksin is used to treat depression and prevent its recurrence.
According to the instructions, Velaksin contraindicated in:
- High level of sensitivity of the patient to the components of the drug;
- Taking MAO inhibitors;
- Pregnancy (possible pregnancy) and lactation;
- Severe disorders in the liver and kidneys.
And also at the age of under 18 years.
Velaksin carefully used for:
- Unstable angina pectoris;
- A recent myocardial infarction;
- Coronary artery disease;
- Heart failure;
- ECG changes;
- Electrolyte imbalance;
- Intraocular hypertension;
- The history of convulsions;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- Reduced body weight;
- Presence in the history of manic states;
- Predisposition to bleeding on mucous membranes and skin.
Dosing and Administration
The tablets and capsules of Velaksin, according to the instructions, are intended for ingestion during meals.
The initial dosage of the drug is 37.5 mg 2 times a day (tablets). In that case, if the effect of the use of Velaxin is not achieved within a few weeks, the dosage is increased to 150 mg per day (75 mg 2 times a day (tablets) or 150 mg once a day (capsules)). This dosage of the drug can be prescribed at the beginning of therapy, if there is a serious depressive disorder. Further, the daily dosage of the drug can be increased every 2-3 days at 75 mg, until the desired therapeutic effect is achieved. The maximum dosage of Velaxin is 375 mg per day. When the desired therapeutic effect is achieved, the dosage is reduced to the minimum effective.
When using Velaxin as a means of maintenance therapy and prevention of relapse of depression, the patient is prescribed minimum effective doses of the drug for 6 months or more.
In moderate renal insufficiency, the dosage of the drug is reduced by 25-50%.
In moderate liver failure, the dosage is reduced by 50%.
In milder forms of renal and hepatic insufficiency, dosage adjustment is not required.
Discontinuation of the drug should be gradual (reduce the dosage within a week).
When using Velaxin, certain adverse reactions may develop (often):
- Nervous system: insomnia, dizziness, drowsiness, agitation, anxiety, unusual dreams, confusion, paresthesia, tremor, increased muscle tone;
- Cardiovascular system: hot flashes, arterial hypertension, increased heart rate;
- Digestive tract: dry mouth, constipation, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting;
- Genitourinary system: erectile dysfunction, ejaculation, anorgasmia;
- Sense organs: mydriasis, tinnitus, accommodation disturbances, visual disturbances;
- Musculoskeletal system: myalgia, arthralgia;
- Skin: itching and rash, sweating;
- Metabolism: weight loss, increased cholesterol;
- Common symptoms: fatigue, weakness, abdominal pain, headache, fever, chills.
When applying Velaksin should be borne in mind that:
- Patients taking the drug, due to the high risk of suicidal thoughts and attempts should be constantly under medical supervision;
- At the beginning of treatment with the drug and its cancellation, aggression is possible;
- During the first weeks of therapy, psychomotor excitement may develop in patients, which is characterized by anxiety and a constant desire to move. In such cases, the question of whether to continue treatment with the drug is considered;
- The drug is carefully prescribed to patients with mania or hypomania;
- Velaksin is carefully prescribed at the same time as antipsychotic drugs, since symptoms may develop that resemble neuroleptic malignant syndrome;
- Patients are recommended regular monitoring of blood pressure (especially at the beginning of treatment);
- Abrupt discontinuation of Velaxin can lead to the development of withdrawal symptoms in the form of dizziness, sensations of electric current, paresthesia, sleep disturbances, agitation or anxiety, tremor, nausea and vomiting, headache, sweating, diarrhea, emotional instability, rapid and intense heartbeat;
- When taking the drug may reduce the ability to make judgments, the deterioration of thinking, attention, performance of motor functions;
- In elderly patients, the drug is used in the lowest effective dose;
- During treatment is not recommended the use of alcoholic beverages;
- The drug when taken together with haloperidol enhances the effects of the latter;
- At the same time taking the drug with clozapine may develop convulsive seizures;
- An overdose of Velaxin is manifested by a change in ECG, bradycardia, sinus or ventricular tachycardia, arterial hypotension, depression of consciousness, convulsive states, and death (while taking psychotropic drugs and alcohol). In such cases, symptomatic treatment is required with continuous monitoring of vital functions. Inducing vomiting is not recommended due to the risk of aspiration.
Velaksin analogs are such drugs as Velafax, Alventa, Venlafaxni Venlaksor, Venlafaksna Hydrochloride, Venlift, Efevelon, Vensworth, Newevelong, Dapfiks.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug is stored at a temperature not exceeding 30 ° in places not accessible to children, not more than five years.