Velafax is a psychotropic drug used in depression.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in the form of tablets and capsules of prolonged action.
The composition of each tablet Velafax includes:
- 37.5 and 75 mg of venlafaxine hydrochloride;
- Auxiliary components: sodium carboxymethyl starch, microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch, iron dye yellow oxide (E172), colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, talc.
The composition of the capsules Velafax MW includes:
- 75 and 150 mg of venlafaxine hydrochloride;
- Excipients: hyprolosis, sucrose, talc. The insulating sheath is made using talc and hypromellose (6cps).
The composition of the shell, which regulates the release of the active substance: a complex, multicomponent substance Sureliz E-7-7050 and hypromellose (E-15).
The composition of the shell capsules Velafax: sodium lauryl sulfate, sunset dye yellow sunset, titanium dioxide, quinoline yellow dye, gelatin. In the capsules of 150 mg there is also a patent blue dye.
Indications for use
According to the instructions to Velafax, the drug is intended for the treatment and prevention of relapses of depression (including if depression is accompanied by increased anxiety).
The use of Velafax, according to the instructions, is contraindicated:
- Patients with impaired renal function, which are characterized by a decrease in creatinine clearance below 10 ml per minute;
- With serious violations of liver function;
- Persons under 18;
- During periods of pregnancy and lactation;
- Patients who are being treated with monoamine oxidase inhibitors;
- People with intolerance to venlafaxine or any other component of Velafax.
Prescribe the drug, but with extreme caution:
- Patients who in the recent past suffered a myocardial infarction;
- In conditions characterized by a decrease in the total volume of circulating blood (hypovolemia);
- People who have been diagnosed with unstable angina, hypertension or tachycardia;
- With convulsive syndrome (symptomatic convulsions) in history;
- With elevated intraocular pressure;
- Persons with a history of manic states;
- With angle-closure glaucoma;
- In conditions that are characterized by a decrease in the plasma concentration of ions (hyponatremia);
- When dehydrated;
- Persons taking diuretic drugs;
- Patients with suicidal tendencies;
- With a predisposition to bleeding from the skin and mucous membranes;
- People with initially reduced body weight.
Dosing and Administration
Velafax tablets are intended for oral administration. They are taken daily (preferably at the same time of day) with meals, without chewing and washing down with a small amount of liquid.
The daily dose in the initial stages of treatment is 75 mg. It is recommended to divide it into two steps. If, after several weeks of application, the expected result is not observed, the dose may be increased to 150 mg at the same frequency of administration.
The same dosage is indicated for severe depressive disorders and other conditions that require treatment in a hospital.
In accordance with the recommendations specified in the instructions to Velafax, the highest daily dose should not exceed 375 mg.
Velafax MB capsules should be taken once a day, with meals, at the same time (in the morning or evening), without chewing or crushing. It is also not allowed to put them in water.
At the initial stages of treatment of a depressive episode, the patient is prescribed a daily dose of 75 mg. In some cases, therapy begins immediately with a dose of 150 mg.
After two weeks of administration, the dosage of Velafax can be increased by another 75 mg. So it is adjusted to achieve the desired effect, but it does not increase more than once every 4 days.
The use of Velafax in a dose exceeding 350 mg per day is prohibited.
After the necessary therapeutic effect of the drug is achieved, the dosage is gradually reduced to the minimum effective.
For prophylactic purposes and as part of maintenance therapy, Velafax should be taken for at least six months. In this case, the patient is prescribed the minimum effective dose, which was used in the treatment of an episode of depression.
Monitoring the effectiveness of therapy is recommended at least once every 3 months.
When transferring patients from the tablet form of the drug to the capsules, the starting dose should be equivalent to that prescribed when taking Velafax tablets. The multiplicity of techniques - once a day.
The use of Velafax can provoke a number of side effects, including:
- Increased weakness;
- Fast fatiguability;
- Increasing the concentration of cholesterol in the blood;
- Weight loss;
- Unusual dreams;
- Increased muscle tone;
- Ejaculatory disorders;
- Dysuric disorders;
- Accommodation disturbance;
- Hemorrhages in the skin.
Abrupt cessation of Velafax, especially in high doses, may trigger the development of withdrawal syndrome. In this regard, the drug treatment is completed by gradually reducing the dosage.
Preparations are synonymous with Velafax: Alventa, Velaksin, Venlaksor, Dapfix, Neweloong, Efevelon, Venlift OD, Efevelon retard, Vensworth.
Analogs Velafaksa mechanism of action: Azafen, eprobemide, Despres, Doppelgerts Nervotonik, inkazana, intro, Coaxil, Lerivon, Mirzaten, Mirtazonal, Negrustin, Noksibel, Normazidol, Pirazidol, Remeron, Tetrindol, Cymbalta. Trittiko, Esprital, Calixsta, Neuroplant.
Terms and conditions of storage
Velafax - a drug sold strictly by prescription. It is recommended to store it in a dry place at a temperature not exceeding 25 ºС. Under these conditions, the shelf life of tablets - 3 years, capsules - 2 years.