Nystatin is an antifungal antibacterial drug that is active against yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida.
Release form and composition
- Coated tablets: light yellow in color with a greenish tint, have a slight odor of vanilla (10 each in blisters; 20 each in glass jars; 20 each in plastic cans, 1 each in a cardboard box) ;
- Ointment: yellow or brownish yellow (30 g each in aluminum tubes);
- Vaginal suppositories: torpedo-shaped, yellow (5 pcs. In blisters, 2 packs in a carton box);
- Rectal suppositories: torpedo-shaped, yellow (5 pcs. In blisters, 2 packs in a carton box).
Active ingredient - nystatin:
- 1 tablet - 250 thousand or 500 thousand. Units (units of action);
- 1 g ointment - 100 thousand. Units;
- 1 vaginal suppository - 250 thousand or 500 thousand. Units;
- 1 rectal suppository - 250 thousand or 500 thousand.
- Tablets: OPMC, magnesium carbonate basic, calcium stearate, tropeolin O, titanium dioxide pigment, MC-16, tween-80, potato starch, vaseline oil, lactose, vanillin;
- Ointment: medical vaseline and anhydrous lanolin;
- Vaginal suppositories: paraoxybenzoic acid propyl ether, Witepsol W-35, Witepsol H-15 and food citric acid;
- Rectal suppositories: paraoxybenzoic acid propyl ester, Witepsol W-35, Witepsol H-15, Vaseline oil and food citric acid.
Indications for use
For tablets and ointment:
- Therapy for candidiasis of the internal organs;
- Treatment of candidiasis of the mucous membranes and skin;
- Prevention of candidiasis during long-term antimicrobial therapy, especially in debilitated and debilitated patients.
For vaginal suppositories:
- Treatment of vaginal candidiasis;
- Prevention of fungal complications during the local antimicrobial therapy.
For rectal suppositories:
- Treatment of candidiasis of the lower intestine;
- Prevention of fungal complications in the pre- and postoperative period.
For all dosage forms:
- Peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer;
- Impaired liver function;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Dosing and Administration
In tablets Nystatin should be taken orally, with candidiasis of the internal organs - regardless of the meal. Recommended doses:
- Adults: 500 thousand units 4-8 times a day, with generalized candidiasis, the daily dose can be increased to 6 million units;
- Children over 4 years old: 250 thousand units - 500 thousand units 4 times a day;
- Children 1-3 years old - 250 thousand. Units 3-4 times a day.
The duration of treatment is from 10 to 14 days, if necessary, after 7 days, repeat the course.
Nystatin ointment is used for candidiasis of the mucous membranes and skin. Its thin layer is applied to the affected areas daily, 2 times a day for 7-10 days. If necessary, the ointment is combined with a tablet form of the drug.
Vaginal suppositories should be inserted deep into the vagina (after hygiene procedures) in 1 pc. 2 times a day - in the morning and in the evening. The duration of therapy is 10-14 days. If necessary, repeated courses of treatment can be prescribed.
Rectal suppositories should be inserted deep into the rectum and 1 pc. 2 times a day - in the morning and in the evening. The duration of treatment is also 10-14 days. If necessary, repeated courses of treatment can be prescribed.
- Digestive system: when taking pills and using rectal suppositories - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- Allergic reactions: fever, chills and pruritus;
- Other: risk of resistance (requires discontinuation of the drug).
In the case of side effects should reduce the dose of Nystatin or cancel it altogether.
During menstruation, therapy with vaginal suppositories is not necessary to interrupt.
In case of fungal diseases of the vagina, it is recommended to undergo treatment at the same time to both sexual partners. During the use of the drug should avoid sexual contact.
Nystatin reduces the effectiveness of clotrimazole.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dry, dark place.
- Tablets - 2 years at a temperature of 18-20 ºС;
- Vaginal suppositories and rectal suppositories - 2 years at temperatures up to 5 ºС.
- Ointment - 3 years at a temperature up to 5 ºС.