Naphthyzinum is a vasoconstrictor drug used topically in ENT practice.
Release form and composition
Naphthyzinum is available in two dosage forms:
- Nasal drops: transparent, colorless or slightly colored (in glass bottles of 5 or 10 ml, 1 bottle in a carton box; in plastic dropper bottles of 10, 15 or 20 ml, 1 bottle dropper in a carton box complete with a dropper cap or without it);
- Nasal spray: colorless transparent or slightly tinted (in polymer, hermetically sealed with polymer stoppers, droppers and screw-on lids, dropper bottles of 10 or 15 ml, 1 dropper bottle in a cardboard bundle complete with a straw).
The composition of 1 ml Naphthyzinum in the form of a spray and nasal drops includes:
- Active ingredient: naphazoline - 0.5 or 1 mg;
- Auxiliary components: boric acid - 20 mg; purified water - up to 1 ml.
Indications for use
- Acute rhinitis;
- Allergic rhinitis.
Naphthyzinum is also prescribed for studies of the nasal cavity (to facilitate the procedure).
- Simultaneous use with monoamine oxidase inhibitors, as well as a period of up to 14 days after the end of therapy;
- Chronic rhinitis, including atrophic rhinitis;
- Pronounced atherosclerosis;
- Arterial hypertension;
- Hyperthyroidism (thyrotoxicosis);
- Severe eye diseases, including angle-closure glaucoma;
- Age up to 1 year (for 0.05% drops), up to 2 years (for 0.05% spray), up to 18 years (for 0.1% drops and spray);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Naphthyzinum spray should be used with caution in patients with coronary heart disease (angina), pheochromocytoma and prostatic hyperplasia.
Pregnant and lactating women Naphthyzinum in all dosage forms is prescribed after evaluating the benefit / risk ratio for mother and child.
Dosing and Administration
Naphthyzinum is used intranasally in otorhinolaryngology.
It is recommended to apply the following dosing regimen (single dose in each nasal passage):
- Children 1-6 years (drops) and 2-6 years (spray): 1-2 drops or 1 spray injection (0.05% solution), the multiplicity of use - 1-3 times a day;
- Children 6-15 years: 2 drops or 1 spray injection (0.05% solution), the multiplicity of application - 1-3 times a day;
- Adults and children from 15 years: 1-3 drops or 1 spray injection (0.05-0.1% solution), the multiplicity of use - 3-4 times a day;
Children 0.05% Naphthyzinum in the form of a spray can be diluted with distilled water in a ratio of 1: 1 (up to 0.025%). Do not adjust the dosing regimen.
The course of therapy for rhinitis in children should not exceed 3 days, in adults - 5-7 days.
For diagnostic purposes Naphthyzinum should be used after cleaning the nose. To facilitate the study of the nasal cavity in each nasal passage, 3-4 drops should be instilled, a tampon soaked in a 0.05% solution of the drug should be injected for 1-2 minutes, or 1 injection should be performed.
During treatment, it is possible to develop side effects, manifested in the form of swelling of the nasal mucosa, increased blood pressure, reactive hyperemia, headache, tachycardia, nausea.
When using Naphthyzinum for longer than 7 days, local reactions may be observed (atrophic rhinitis, swelling of the nasal mucosa).
Naphthyzinum may have a resorptive effect.
With long-term treatment, the severity of the vasoconstrictive action gradually decreases (the phenomenon of tachyphylaxis), and therefore the drug is not recommended for use longer than 5-7 days. If necessary, after the break, it is possible to repeat the course.
Naphthyzinum can be prescribed not earlier than 14 days after the end of the use of monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
During therapy, it must be borne in mind that when used together with local anesthetics, their absorption is slowed down (when surface anesthesia is performed, their action is prolonged).
With the simultaneous appointment Naphthyzinum with other vasoconstrictor drugs increases the likelihood of side effects.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dark, out of reach of children at a temperature up to 25 ° C, do not freeze.
Shelf life - 3 years.
After opening the dropper bottle, Naphthyzinum can be applied for 30 days.