Motilak is a centrally acting antiemetic that blocks dopamine receptors.
Release form and composition
- Coated tablets: biconvex, white, 2 or 1 layers visible in cross section, inner - white or white with a yellowish tinge (10 pcs. In blister packs, in a carton pack 3 packs);
- Tablets for sucking: round, biconvex, white (10 pcs. In blisters, in a carton pack of 1 or 3 packs).
The active ingredient of Motilaka is domperidone: in 1 coated tablet and in 1 tablet for resorption - 10 mg.
Auxiliary components of coated tablets: colloidal silicon dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, lactose, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropylcellulose, sodium carboxymethyl starch, polyethylene glycol 4000 or tween-80, talc, potato starch, titanium dioxide.
Auxiliary components of tablets for sucking: dextrose, sugar (sucrose), polyplasdone X-EL-10 (crospovidone), fructose (advantoza FS 95), magnesium stearate, sodium carboxymethyl starch (primogel), peppermint oil.
Indications for use
Motilak is used for a complex of dyspeptic symptoms that are often associated with esophagitis, gastro-esophageal reflux and slow gastric emptying:
- Abdominal distention;
- Feeling of fullness in the epigastrium;
- Pain in the upper abdomen;
- Heartburn, including with the refusal of the contents of the stomach into the oral cavity.
Also, the drug is prescribed for nausea and vomiting of any origin, including infectious, organic and functional etiology, caused by drug or radiotherapy, diet or intoxication, developed as a result of the use of dopamine agonists (bromocriptine, levodopa) in Parkinson's disease.
- Children's age up to 5 years;
- Conditions in which the stimulation of the motor function of the stomach is contraindicated (mechanical obstruction, perforation, gastrointestinal bleeding);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Motilak should be used with caution in patients with liver failure (because domperidone is metabolized in the liver).
In the first trimester of pregnancy, Motilak can be appointed only after a careful assessment of the ratio of expected benefits and potential risks.
Due to the lack of data on the safety of the drug, it is not recommended to prescribe it during lactation, unless the intended benefit of therapy exceeds the risk of side effects in infants.
Dosing and Administration
Motilak should be taken orally; with regular admission for chronic symptoms - preferably 15-30 minutes before meals, because when taken after meals, domperidone absorption is somewhat replaced.
Recommended dosing regimens:
- Chronic dyspeptic symptoms: adults - 10 mg 3 times a day, in case of insufficiency of the effect, the dose is doubled; children over 5 years old - 2.5 mg for every 10 kg of body weight 3 times a day. If necessary, an additional single dose may be taken at bedtime;
- Acute and subacute conditions, especially nausea and vomiting: adults - 20 mg 3-4 times a day; children - 5 mg / 10 kg body weight 3-4 times a day. If necessary, additional intake of one single dose at bedtime is allowed.
In patients with renal insufficiency, the dose rate is reduced to 1-2 times per day, depending on the severity of the disease.
Motilak is generally well tolerated, in rare cases the following side effects occur:
- Digestive system: transient bowel spasms;
- Central nervous system: extrapyramidal disorders in children and patients with increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier (fully reversible, spontaneously and independently disappear after discontinuation of the drug);
- Endocrine system: gynecomastia, galactorrhea, dysmenorrhea due to hyperprolactinemia;
- Allergic reactions: rash, urticaria.
Patients with renal insufficiency generally do not require dose adjustment of Motilaka, since very few of them are excreted by the kidneys in unchanged form. However, when you reappoint the drug, the frequency of its admission should be reduced depending on the degree of renal failure. In some cases, it may also be necessary to reduce the dose. With prolonged treatment requires regular monitoring of renal function.
Do not take antisecretory and antacid agents simultaneously with Motilak.
The drug does not adversely affect the reaction rate and ability to concentrate.
Possible interaction reactions in the case of simultaneous use of other drugs with Motilak:
- Anticholinergic drugs: neutralizing the action of domperidone;
- Antacids, inhibitors of gastric secretion: a decrease in the bioavailability of domperidone;
- Drugs that significantly inhibit CYP3A4 isoenzyme (macrolide antibiotics, nefazodone antidepressant, HIV protease inhibitors, azoles antifungal drugs): increased plasma domperidone concentration.
It is possible that Motilak may affect the absorption of simultaneously used enteric-coated preparations and with a slow release of the active substance.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ºС in a dry and dark place out of the reach of children.
Shelf life - 2 years.