Mildronate - a drug that helps improve metabolism and energy supply of tissues.
Release form and composition
Mildronate is available in the following dosage forms:
- Capsules: white, hard gelatin, size No. 1 (250 mg each) or No. 00 (500 mg each); the contents of the capsules are hygroscopic crystalline white powder with a faint odor (in blisters of 10 pcs., 2, 4, or 6 blisters in a carton box);
- Solution for injection: colorless, transparent (in ampoules of 5 ml, 5 ampoules in blisters, 2 packs in a carton box).
The composition of 1 capsule includes:
- Active ingredient: Meldonium dihydrate - 250 or 500 mg;
- Auxiliary components: potato starch - 13.6 / 27.2 mg; colloidal silicon dioxide - 5.4 / 10.8 mg; Calcium stearate - 2.7 / 5.4 mg.
The composition of the capsule shell: E171 (titanium dioxide) - 2%; gelatin - up to 100%.
The composition of 1 ml of solution includes:
- Active ingredient: meldonium - 100 mg (in the form of trimethylhydrazinium propionate);
- Auxiliary component: water for injection.
Indications for use
- Reduced performance, physical stress (including athletes);
- Withdrawal syndrome in chronic alcoholism (simultaneously with a specific treatment of alcoholism);
- Coronary heart disease (myocardial infarction, angina), chronic heart failure (as part of a comprehensive treatment);
- Acute and chronic disorders of cerebral circulation, including strokes and cerebrovascular insufficiency (as part of a comprehensive treatment).
Additionally for Mildronate in the form of a solution for injection:
- Thrombosis of the central retinal vein and its branches;
- Hemophthalmos, retinal hemorrhages of various etiologies;
- Retinopathy of various etiologies (hypertensive, diabetic).
- Increased intracranial pressure (including with intracranial tumors, impaired venous outflow);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
It is not recommended to prescribe the drug to children under 18 years old, as well as to lactating and pregnant women due to the lack of clinical data confirming the safety and efficacy of Mildronate use for these groups of patients.
Mildronate should be used with caution in patients with kidney and / or liver disease (especially long-term).
Dosing and Administration
Due to the possible development of the excitatory effect, Mildronate is recommended to be applied in the first half of the day, when taken several times a day - no later than 17.00.
Inside Mildronate in capsule form is usually prescribed as follows:
- Ischemic heart disease (myocardial infarction, angina), chronic heart failure: daily dose - 500-1000 mg; the frequency of admission - 1-2 times a day. The duration of the therapeutic course is 1-1.5 months (simultaneously with other drugs);
- Dishormonal cardiomyopathy: daily dose - 500 mg. The duration of the therapeutic course is 12 days (simultaneously with other drugs);
- Subacute cerebral circulatory disorders (cerebrovascular insufficiency and stroke): daily dose - 500-1000 mg; the frequency of admission - 1-2 times a day. The duration of the therapeutic course is 1-1.5 months (the drug is taken orally at the same time as other drugs after completing the course of injection therapy with Mildronate);
- Chronic disorders of cerebral circulation: daily dose - 500 mg. The duration of the therapeutic course is 1-1.5 months (simultaneously with other drugs). It is possible to conduct repeated courses (as a rule, 2-3 times a year) after medical consultation;
- Reduced performance, mental and physical stress (including athletes): daily dose - 1000 mg; the frequency of admission - 2 times a day. The duration of the therapeutic course is 10-14 days. After 2-3 weeks, it is possible to repeat the course;
- Withdrawal syndrome in chronic alcoholism: daily dose - 2000 mg; the frequency of admission - 4 times a day. The duration of the therapeutic course is 7-10 days (simultaneously with the specific treatment of alcoholism).
Athletes before exercise is recommended to take Mildronate in a single dose of 500-1000 mg 2 times a day. The duration of the course during the preparatory period is 2-3 weeks, and during the competition period it is 10-14 days.
Mildronate in the form of a solution for injection is administered intravenously and parabulbarno.
As a rule, intravenous drug is prescribed:
- Cardiovascular diseases: daily dose - 500-1000 mg (5-10 ml of solution for injection, concentration - 500 mg / 5 ml); the frequency of application 1-2 times a day. The duration of the treatment course is 1-1.5 months (simultaneously with other drugs);
- Violations of cerebral circulation (acute phase): daily dose - 500 mg; frequency of use - 1 time per day. The solution is injected for 10 days, after which they proceed to the intake of Mildronate (500-1000 mg per day). The total duration of the treatment course is 1-1.5 months;
- Physical and mental stress: daily dose - 500 mg; frequency of use - 1 time per day. The duration of the treatment course is 10-14 days. After 2-3 weeks, it is possible to repeat the course;
- Chronic alcoholism: daily dose - 1000 mg; frequency of use - 2 times a day. The duration of the treatment course is 10-14 days.
In case of vascular pathologies and dystrophic diseases of the retina, Mildronate should be administered parabulbrally at a dose of 0.5 ml of injection for 500 mg / 5 ml for 10 days.
In rare cases, when using Mildronate in all dosage forms, side effects such as allergic reactions (itching, redness and skin, urticaria, skin rash, angioedema), dyspeptic symptoms, tachycardia, increased or decreased blood pressure, increased excitability may develop.
In very rare cases, eosinophilia and general weakness are possible.
Years of experience with Mildronate in the treatment of unstable angina and acute myocardial infarction in cardiology departments have shown that Mildronate is not a first line drug for acute coronary syndrome.
With the simultaneous use of Mildronate with certain drugs, the following undesirable effects may occur:
- Coronarodilating drugs, some antihypertensive drugs, cardiac glycosides: increased their action;
- Nitroglycerin, nifedipine, alpha-blockers, antihypertensive drugs and peripheral vasodilators: the development of arterial hypotension, moderate tachycardia (when using such combinations, care must be taken).
Mildronate can be administered simultaneously with prolonged forms of nitrates, other antianginal drugs, antiplatelet agents and anticoagulants, antiarrhythmic, bronchodilator and diuretic drugs.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dry place inaccessible to children at temperature up to 25 ° C (do not freeze solution for injection).
Shelf life - 4 years.