Mifepristone is a drug used to improve the tone and contractile activity of myometrium.
Release form and composition
Mifepristone is produced in the form of tablets: flat-cylindrical, light yellow or light yellow with a greenish tinge, with a facet and risky (3 or 6 pcs. In polymer cans, 1 can in a cardboard box; 1, 3 or 6 pcs. In blisters, 1-3 packs in a carton box).
The composition of 1 tablet includes:
- Active ingredient: mifepristone - 200 mg;
- Auxiliary components: sodium carboxymethyl starch, lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, potato starch, magnesium stearate.
Indications for use
- Interruption in the early stages (up to 42 days of amenorrhea) of uterine pregnancy;
- Induction of labor in full-term pregnancy.
General contraindications to the use of Mifepristone are the following diseases / conditions:
- Adrenal insufficiency;
- Long-term therapy with glucocorticosteroids;
- Renal and / or liver failure (in acute or chronic course);
- Severe anemia;
- Uterine fibroids;
- Disorders of hemostasis, including the previous use of anticoagulants;
- Inflammatory diseases of the female genital organs;
- Severe extragenital pathologies (without prior consultation with the therapist);
- Smoking from the age of 35;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug (in history).
When conducting a medical abortion, additional contraindications are:
- The presence of an ectopic pregnancy;
- Pregnancy not confirmed by clinical studies;
- Pregnancy for more than 42 days of amenorrhea;
- Pregnancy that occurs after the cancellation of hormonal contraception or during the use of intrauterine contraception.
Contraindications to receiving Mifepristone during the preparation and induction of labor are the following diseases / conditions:
- Postponed or premature pregnancy;
- Preeclampsia severe;
- Eclampsia and preeclampsia;
- Abnormal position of the fetus;
- The mismatch of the size of the head of the fetus mother's pelvis;
- Spotting of unspecified etiology from the genital tract during pregnancy.
Mifepristone should be used with caution in cases of arrhythmias, bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, hypertension, as well as women with chronic heart failure.
In the case of a medical abortion after taking Mifepristone, breastfeeding should be interrupted for 3 days.
Dosing and Administration
Mifepristone is taken orally.
The drug should be taken only in specialized institutions equipped with the necessary equipment.
Dosing regimen is determined by indications.
For medication termination of pregnancy in the early stages of Mifepristone administered once a dose of 3 tablets (600 mg). The drug should be taken in the presence of a doctor 60-90 minutes after a meal (light breakfast), drinking 1/2 cup of water.
The patient should be monitored for 2 hours after taking the pills. After 36-48 hours, a woman should undergo an ultrasound scan at a medical institution. If necessary, she is prescribed misoprostol.
Repeated ultrasound carried out in 10-14 days. Also, if necessary, to confirm abortion, it is necessary to determine the level of human chorionic gonadotropin.
In the absence of the effect of the use of Mifepristone on the fourteenth day (with incomplete abortion or continuing pregnancy), it is necessary to carry out a vacuum sputum followed by a histological examination of aspirate.
In full-term pregnancy for the induction of labor, Mifepristone is prescribed for 2 days (at the same time), 1 tablet per day. Assessment of the condition of the birth canal is carried out in 48-72 hours. If necessary, prescribe oxytocin or prostaglandins.
When taking Mifepristone, side effects associated with the action of the drug can develop, manifested as a feeling of discomfort in the lower abdomen, vomiting and nausea, general weakness, headache, hyperthermia, dizziness, lohiiometry, subinvolution of the uterus.
When using Mifepristone for medical abortion, abdominal pain, bleeding from the genital tract, as well as exacerbation of inflammatory processes in the appendages and the uterus can be observed.
For women who use Mifepristone to terminate a pregnancy, if there is no confirmed result for 10-14 days, it is necessary to terminate the pregnancy in another way, due to the risk of congenital malformations in the fetus.
It is necessary to avoid the simultaneous use of mifepristone with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The use of Mifepristone requires the prevention of Rh alloimmunization and the conduct of other general measures that accompany abortion.
When combined use of mifepristone and glucocorticosteroid drugs, the dose of the latter should be increased.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dark, dry place inaccessible to children at temperature up to 25 ° C.
Shelf life - 2 years.