Mifegin is a drug that increases the tone and contractile activity of the myometrium.
Release form and composition
Mifegin is produced in the form of tablets: biconvex, light yellow, on one side with the identification code "167B" (in blisters of 3 pcs., 1 blister in a cardboard box).
The composition of 1 tablet includes:
- Active ingredient: mifepristone micronized - 0.2 g;
- Auxiliary components: magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, corn starch, colloidal silicon dioxide.
Indications for use
Mifegin is used for the preparation and induction of labor in full-term pregnancy, medical termination of uterine pregnancy in the early stages (up to 6 weeks of amenorrhea).
- Severe extragenital pathology;
- Hepatic and / or renal failure (acute or chronic);
- Adrenal insufficiency;
- Long-term glucocorticoid therapy;
- Violation of hemostasis (including previous therapy with anticoagulants);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug in history.
Contraindications to the use of Mifegin as a means for medical abortion are:
- Smoking in women over the age of 35;
- Inflammatory diseases of the genital organs (without first consulting the therapist);
- Pregnancy occurring after the abolition of hormonal contraception or when using intrauterine contraceptives;
- Pregnancy for more than 6 weeks of amenorrhea;
- Pregnancy not confirmed by clinical studies;
- Suspected Ectopic Pregnancy.
Contraindications to the use of Mifegin as a means for the preparation and induction of labor are:
- Bleeding from the genital tract of unknown etiology;
- Abnormal position of the fetus;
- The discrepancy between the size of the head of the fetus and the pelvis of a woman;
- Placenta previa;
- Severe preeclampsia, pre-eclampsia, eclampsia;
- Premature or post-term pregnancy.
Mifegin is prescribed with caution in women with chronic heart failure, arrhythmias, hypertension, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (including bronchial asthma).
Dosing and Administration
Mifegin take orally. The drug should be used exclusively in medical institutions under medical supervision.
Recommended dosing regimen:
- Medical abortion: once 3 tablets. Within 2 hours (at least) the patient must be under the supervision of medical personnel. After 36-48 hours after taking Mifegin, it is necessary to conduct a control ultrasound (US). After 8-14 days, a repeated clinical examination is performed, and a control ultrasound scan, also to confirm that a miscarriage has occurred, determine the level of beta-chorionic gonadotropin. If on the 14th day after taking the drug there is no effect (continuing pregnancy or incomplete abortion), it is necessary to perform a vacuum aspiration followed by a histological examination of the aspirate;
- Preparation and induction of labor: once 1 tablet per day. After 24 hours, take another 1 pill. In 48-72 hours, the state of the birth canal is assessed and, if necessary, oxytocin or prostaglandins are administered.
During therapy with mifegin, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, discomfort and pain in the lower abdomen, urticaria, exacerbation of inflammation of the uterus and appendages, bloody discharge from the genital tract, hyperthermia, weakness, dizziness, headache may occur; with concomitant therapy with misoprostol, a decrease in hemoglobin (more than 2 g per 1 dl), leucorrhea, vaginitis, fainting, dyspepsia, leg pain, anemia, asthenia, anxiety, insomnia.
The use of the drug requires the prevention of Rh alloimmunization and other general interventions associated with abortion.
For women with artificial heart valves or infective endocarditis, it is recommended that prophylactic treatment with antibacterial agents be given during therapy.
Mifegin should be used in obstetric-gynecological medical institutions, which have the appropriate license, necessary equipment and trained medical personnel.
For 8-12 days after taking Mifegin, it is recommended to avoid using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children at a temperature up to 25 ° C.
Shelf life - 3 years.