Midantan is a blocker of glutamate NMDA receptors; antiparkinsonian drug.
Release form and composition
Dosage form - tablets, film-coated: round, convex on both sides, orange, with a notch on one side, odorless (10 pieces in blisters, 3 blisters in packs of cardboard).
Active ingredient in 1 tablet: amantadine sulfate - 100 mg.
Auxiliary components: copolymer of butyl methacrylate, colloidal silicon dioxide, gelatin, potato starch, lactose monohydrate, titanium dioxide, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, talc, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, orange dye.
Indications for use
- Parkinson's syndrome;
- Parkinson's disease.
- Psychoses (including in the anamnesis);
- Chronic renal failure;
- Liver failure;
- Heart failure II-III st .;
- Delirious psychosis;
- Prostate hyperplasia;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- The need for simultaneous use of triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide;
- I trimester of pregnancy;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Relative (requires special care due to the risk of complications):
- Allergic dermatitis;
- Orthostatic hypotension;
- Mental disorders (including in the anamnesis);
- Elderly age;
- II and III trimesters of pregnancy.
Dosing and Administration
Midantan should be taken orally after ingestion.
Treatment of Parkinson's disease begins with a daily dose of 100 mg with an interval of 6 hours (the last dose - before dinner) for 3 days. The next 4 days prescribed 200 mg per day, then within 2 weeks - 300 mg per day, from the 3rd week, depending on the patient's condition - 300-400 mg per day. The maximum permissible daily dose is 600 mg.
Reduce the dose of the drug and increase the intervals between doses for patients with impaired renal function. Doses depending on glomerular filtration rate:
- 80-60 ml / minute - 100 mg every 12 hours;
- 60-50 ml / minute - the doses of 200 and 100 mg alternate every other day;
- 30-20 ml / minute - 200 mg 2 times a week;
- 20-10 ml / minute - 100 mg 3 times a week;
- Less than 10 ml / minute - 200 mg once a week and 100 mg every second week.
Reducing the dose required and elderly patients.
- Nervous system: mental or motor agitation, headache, insomnia, irritability, dizziness, tremor, convulsions, mental disorders accompanied by visual hallucinations;
- Cardiovascular system: orthostatic hypotension, tachycardia, heart failure, arrhythmogenic effect;
- Digestive system: anorexia, dry mouth, dyspepsia, nausea;
- Urinary system: nocturia, polyuria; in patients with prostatic hyperplasia, acute urinary retention;
- Other: reduced visual acuity, bluish color of the skin of the upper and lower extremities, dermatosis.
During treatment, alcohol is contraindicated, it is recommended to refrain from driving and practicing potentially hazardous activities that require high concentration of attention, speed of mental and physical reactions.
Information about the effectiveness of treatment by Midantan of extrapyramidal disorders developed as a result of the use of antipsychotic drugs (parkinsonism drugs) is contradictory.
You can not suddenly stop taking the drug, because possible sharp exacerbation of the disease.
In the case of simultaneous use of ethanol or drugs that stimulate the central nervous system, the risk of side effects increases.
Amantadine enhances the action of psychostimulants and levodopa.
Midantan is compatible with other anti-parkinsonian drugs and central anticholinergics.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C in a place inaccessible to children, protected from moisture.
Shelf life - 5 years.