Mezapam - anxiolytic with a sedative effect, used in mental and behavioral disorders.
Release form and composition
Mezapam is produced in the form of tablets (in blister packs of 10 pcs., 5 packs in a carton pack; in dark glass cans of 50 pcs., 1 can in a carton pack).
The composition of 1 tablet includes:
- Active ingredient: Medazepam - 10 mg;
- Auxiliary components: potato starch - 20 mg; calcium stearate (calcium stearate) - 1 mg; milk sugar (lactose monohydrate) - 69 mg.
Indications for use
- Psychopathy, neurosis, neurosis-like and psychopathic states, accompanied by fear, low mood, increased excitability, tension, irritability, anxiety, emotional lability;
- Psychovegetative and psychosomatic disorders, including menopausal syndrome, vegetative dystonia, migraine (prevention of seizures), sleep disorders, functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system;
- School neurosis, excessive irritability and mental lability in children;
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome (uncomplicated), delayed neurotic disorders, developing in the remission structure of drug addiction and alcoholism (as part of complex therapy).
- Alcohol and drug addiction;
- Severe myasthenia gravis;
- Acute diseases of the kidneys and liver;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- Severe renal and / or liver failure;
- Sleep apnea syndrome;
- I trimester of pregnancy;
- Breastfeeding period;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug and other benzodiazepines.
With care, Mezapam is prescribed to patients taking long-term oral contraceptives, anticoagulants, hypoglycemic drugs, centrally acting hypotensive drugs, cardiac glycosides, beta-blockers.
Dosing and Administration
Mezapam taken inside, before eating.
Dosing regimen is determined by age:
- Adults: the initial dose is 1/2 tablet (5 mg) 2-3 times a day, then the dose is gradually increased to 3 tablets per day (if necessary up to 4 tablets). On an outpatient basis, it is recommended to take 1/2 tablet in the morning and at noon and 1 tablet in the evening. The average single dose - 1-2 tablets, the average daily dose - 3-4 tablets, the maximum daily dose - 4 tablets in the outpatient setting and 6-7 tablets in the hospital. Duration of therapy - no more than 2 months, with the possible re-course after a break (at least 21 days);
- Teenagers and elderly patients: 1-2 tablets per day;
- Children (single / daily dose): 1-2 years - 1 / 2-3 mg, 3-6 years - 1-2 / 3-6 mg, 7-10 years - 4-8 / 6-24 mg, over 10 years - 6-10 / 20-60 mg.
In the treatment of alcoholism, the initial dose of Mesapam is 3 tablets per day for 7-14 days.
During the application of Mezapam, disturbances may occur on the part of certain body systems:
- Cardiovascular system and blood (hemostasis, hematopoiesis): low blood pressure, bradycardia, tachycardia;
- Gastrointestinal tract: dyspeptic symptoms, jaundice, increased activity of hepatic transaminases, nausea, constipation, vomiting, pain in the epigastric region, dry mouth;
- Nervous system and sensory organs: fatigue, dysarthria, drowsiness, weakness, headache (usually the first reaction to the drug, disappears after lowering the dose), dizziness, anterograde amnesia, lethargy, paresis of accommodation, twitching of the eyeball, confusion , depressed mood, chest pain, stupidity, double blurry vision, ataxia (in debilitated patients and elderly patients), paradoxical reactions;
- Respiratory system: laryngospasm, shortness of breath, depression of the respiratory center (in case of brain damage or obstruction of the respiratory tract), alveolar hypoventilation (in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease when taking high doses of Mesopolam);
- Other: decreased libido, urinary retention, chest pain, myasthenia gravis, dysmenorrhea, skin-allergic reactions (exanthema, rash, itching, redness); with prolonged use - withdrawal of cider, the development of mental and physical dependence, addiction.
Therapy should be discontinued when muscle cramps, suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, feelings of fear, arousal, increased aggressiveness occur.
With daily medication for several weeks, mental and physical dependence can develop. This effect develops not only when taking high doses of Mesopam, but also when it is used in conventional therapeutic doses. In this regard, the continuation of therapy is permissible only for health reasons and after a thorough comparison of the effectiveness of treatment with the risk of developing dependence. The risk of drug dependence is increased when taking high doses, increasing the duration of therapy in patients who have previously abused ethanol or drugs.
In case of skipping the next dose of the drug, the patient should take it as soon as he remembers (taking a double dose of the drug is unacceptable).
During the period of therapy can not drink alcoholic beverages.
Prolonged use of Mezapama during pregnancy can cause the development of withdrawal syndrome in the newborn. The use of the drug in high doses immediately before or during childbirth can cause hypothermia in the newborn, a decrease in blood pressure, respiratory depression and difficulty in sucking reflex.
In cases of treatment and prevention of the development of withdrawal symptoms, withdrawal of the drug should be carried out gradually.
During the aftereffect, a severe state of arousal may develop.
With care, Mezepam should be used in patients whose professional activity requires an increased concentration of attention and quickness of psychomotor reactions (in the first days of therapy, it should be completely abandoned).
Medazepam can inhibit the action of levodopa, enhance the action of muscle relaxants containing ethanol drugs, alcohol and drugs that depress the central nervous system (including sleeping pills, antihistamines with a sedative component, antipsychotics, narcotic analgesics, means for anesthesia).
When using the drug in combination with alcohol, in addition to strengthening the inhibitory effect on the central nervous system, a paradoxical reaction is possible.
The effect of drugs / substances on medazepam while applying:
- Theophylline: eliminates its soothing effect in low doses;
- Estrogen-containing oral contraceptives, disulfiram, omeprazole, cimetidine: strengthen and prolong its action;
- Nicotine: accelerates its excretion from the body.
Terms and conditions of storage
To store in protected from light, the place, inaccessible for children, at a temperature up to 30 ° C.
Shelf life - 5 years.