Methionine is a hepatoprotective agent with detoxifying and metabolic effects.
Release form and composition
Methionine dosage form - film-coated tablets: round, convex on both sides, pink in color with inconspicuous inclusions; 2 layers are visible in the cross-section (10 pieces each in blisters; 10 each in blister packs enclosed in cardboard packs of 1, 2 or 5).
1 tablet contains:
- Active ingredient: methionine - 250 mg;
- Auxiliary components: stearic acid, methylcellulose, wheat flour, refined sunflower oil, sucrose, potato starch, magnesium carbonate, beeswax, talc, dye azorubine.
Indications for use
Methionine is used for the following purposes:
- Treatment of liver diseases (hepatitis, hepatitis, cirrhosis) occurring with fatty infiltration of hepatocytes;
- Filling the lack of protein of different origin (as part of complex therapy);
- Prevention of toxic liver damage by alcohol, chloroform, arsenic, benzene.
- Hepatic encephalopathy;
- Severe liver failure;
- Viral hepatitis;
- Children's age up to 6 years;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Methionine should be used with caution in renal insufficiency, since there is a risk of hyperazotemia increasing.
Dosing and Administration
The drug is taken orally for 30-60 minutes before a meal.
Recommended single doses:
- Adults: 500–1500 mg;
- Children over 6 years: 250-500 mg.
The multiplicity of reception - 3-4 times a day. Accept methionine for 10-30 days or courses of 10 days with 10-day breaks.
Basically, the drug is well tolerated. In some cases, nausea and vomiting (due to unpleasant taste and smell), as well as allergic reactions are possible.
Methionine should be prescribed with other amino acids in a balanced ratio. The use of the drug in large unbalanced doses is fraught with the development of a damaging effect on the cells of the liver and other organs.
Methionine does not adversely affect the ability to concentrate, the speed of motor and mental reactions.
Information about the interaction with other drugs is missing.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C in a place protected from light and moisture, out of reach of children.
Shelf life - 5 years.