Methylprednisolone is a synthetic glucocorticosteroid with immunosuppressive, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory action.
Release form and composition
Methylprednisolone is available in pill form.
The composition of 1 tablet contains the active substance: methylprednisolone - 4, 16, 32 or 100 mg.
Indications for use
- Rheumatic diseases;
- Hypercalcemia due to neoplastic disease;
- Severe allergic diseases, severe acute and chronic allergic and inflammatory processes with eye damage;
- Leffler syndrome (not amenable to other treatment);
- Collagen diseases;
- Severe seborrheic dermatitis, bullous herpetiform dermatitis, severe psoriasis, exfoliative dermatitis, severe erythema multiforme;
- Symptomatic sarcoidosis;
- Primary or secondary adrenal insufficiency, congenital adrenal hypoplasia;
- Non-purulent thyroiditis;
- Disseminated or focal pulmonary tuberculosis (in combination with anti-tuberculosis chemotherapy), berylliosis;
- Swelling of the brain due to a tumor;
- Secondary thrombocytopenia in adults;
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in adults;
- Tuberculous meningitis with a subarachnoid block or with its threat (with anti-tuberculosis chemotherapy);
- Trichinosis with damage to the nervous system or myocardium;
- Congenital (erythroid) hypoplastic anemia, erythroblastopenia (erythrocyte anemia), acquired (autoimmune) hemolytic anemia;
- Organ transplantation;
- Lymphomas and leukemias (palliative therapy);
- Nephrotic syndrome (to achieve remission);
- Multiple sclerosis (with exacerbation);
- Regional enteritis and ulcerative colitis (in the critical period).
- Systemic fungal and other infections;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
With caution, Methylprednisolone should be used for herpetic eye disease, myasthenia, osteoporosis, hypertension, kidney failure, peptic ulcer disease, fresh intestinal anastomoses, diverticulitis, purulent infection, and ulcerative colitis. Also requires caution when using the drug in combination with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in patients with hypoprothrombinemia.
Dosing and Administration
Tablets are taken orally. The dosage of the drug is determined individually.
The daily dose is 4-48 mg (it is allowed to take smaller or larger doses).
The use of high doses may be necessary for the treatment of multiple sclerosis and swelling of the brain (200 mg per day), as well as for organ transplantation (up to 7 mg per 1 kg of body weight per day).
Cancellation of methylprednisolone with long-term use should be gradual.
The use of alternating therapy is allowed: the patient is taken a double daily dose of the drug in the morning every other day (to achieve the effect of corticosteroids with a minimum of side effects in cases of long-term therapy).
The following side effects may occur during the period of treatment with methylprednisolone:
- Esophagitis, pancreatitis;
- Sodium and water retention;
- Osteoporosis, aseptic necrosis, pathological fractures;
- Congestive heart failure;
- Suppression of pituitary-adrenal function;
- Arterial hypertension;
- Hypokalemic alkalosis, loss of potassium;
- Regeneration abnormality;
- Muscle weakness, myopathy;
- Hypersensitivity reactions;
- Ulcerogenic action;
- Growth suppression in children;
- Thinning and fragility of the skin, ecchymosis, petechiae;
- Itsenko-Cushing syndrome;
- Negative nitrogen balance due to protein catabolism;
- Reduced tolerance to carbohydrates;
- Increased intracranial pressure;
- Brain pseudotumor;
- Mental disorders, seizures;
- Exophthalmos, increased intraocular pressure, posterior subcapsular cataract;
- Disruption of the menstrual cycle;
- Steroid diabetes;
- Decreased resistance to infections.
In cases of stress during the period of treatment with Methylprednisolone, the use of higher doses of fast-acting corticosteroids is recommended.
The effects of corticosteroids are stronger in patients with cirrhosis or hypothyroidism.
During the period of therapy, it is impossible to carry out any types of vaccination and other immunization procedures, since neurological complications and the absence of antibody production are possible.
Information about the interaction of methylprednisolone with other drugs is not available.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a cool and dark place.