Meratin - antiprotozoal.
Release form and composition
- Coated tablets: round, convex on both sides, white, embossed with "MERATIN" on one side, and "500" - on the other (10 tablets per pack);
- Solution for infusion: clear, colorless or light yellow, without pronounced odor (100 ml each in bottles).
1 tablet contains:
- Active ingredient: ornidazole - 500 mg;
- Auxiliary components: white gelatin, sodium lauryl sulfate, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, ethyl cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, starch, sodium starch glycolate, propylene glycol, titanium dioxide, talc succinate, stalcrylate, sodium starch glycolate, propylene glycol, titanium dioxide, talc succinate, starch, sodium starch glycolate, propylene glycol, titanium dioxide, talc succinate, starch, sodium starch glycolate
- Shell composition: PEG-6000, titanium dioxide (E171), purified talc.
100 ml of solution contains:
- Active ingredient: ornidazole - 500 mg;
- Auxiliary components: sodium chloride, injectable water.
Indications for use
Meratin is prescribed to treat the following diseases:
- Amebiasis (extra-intestinal and intestinal forms), including amoebic dysentery and amebic liver abscess;
Also, the drug is used for the prevention of postoperative infectious complications after surgical interventions on the rectum and operations in gynecology.
- Acute neurological diseases;
- Pregnancy up to 12 weeks;
- Lactation period;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug or other derivatives of nitroimidazole.
In the experimental experiments, no teratogenic or embryotoxic effect of ornidazole was detected, but controlled studies on the use of Meratin in pregnant women were not conducted. For this reason, the drug can be prescribed only if there are absolute indications and if the expected benefit outweighs the potential risks.
With caution, Meratin should be prescribed to patients with diseases of the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis, brain damage, and epilepsy.
Dosing and Administration
In pills Meratin should be taken orally after a meal.
The specific dose and duration of treatment are determined by the doctor. Depending on the indication, the patient’s body weight and the therapeutic regimen, the single dose may vary from 0.5 to 2 g for adults and from 20 to 40 mg / kg for children weighing less than 35 kg.
Recommended treatment regimens:
- Trichomoniasis: 1 tablet 2 times a day for 10 days. With complicated and mixed forms of infection, the mode of use of the drug and the duration of treatment may vary. Both sex partners should be treated. The daily dose for children is 25 mg / kg, once;
- Giardiasis: doses and duration of treatment are set individually. Children weighing less than 35 kg should be prescribed at 0.04 g / kg 1 time per day;
- Amebiasis: adults - 1.5 g 1 time per day (optimally in the evening) for 3 days or 0.5 g 2 times a day for 5-10 days; children - by 0.025 g / kg once a day;
- Prevention of anaerobic infection: 1 g for 1-2 hours before the upcoming operation, then 0.5 g 2 times a day for 3-5 days after surgery.
Meratin solution is administered as an intravenous infusion, previously diluted with 5% glucose solution or 0.9% isotonic sodium chloride solution, for 20-30 minutes.
The initial dose for adults and children over 12 years old is 0.5-1 g. From the second day, the drug is administered in a dose of 0.5 g at a rate of 5 ml / min every 8 hours. The duration of treatment is 5-10 days.
The maximum allowable daily intake for adults is 4 g.
For children under 12 years of age, the dose of Meratin is determined on the basis of their weight - at the rate of 0.02 g / kg per day - and divided into 3 administrations.
Treatment of amebiasis begins with a dose of 0.5-1 g, then injected with 0.5 g every 12 hours. The duration of treatment is 3, 6 or 10 days.
In order to prevent anaerobic infection, adults and children over 12 years old are prescribed 0.5-1 g for 3 days: one day before surgery, on the day of surgery, and one day after it.
When using Meratin, the following side effects may occur: fast transient and mild drowsiness, headache, fatigue, agitation, dry mouth; in isolated cases - dyspepsia.
When taking the drug in high doses for a long time it is possible: rarely - hepatotoxic effect, very rarely - tremor, confusion, rigidity, poor coordination of movements, convulsions, hypersensitivity reactions in the form of itching, skin rash, urticaria, angioedema;
During treatment should not drink alcoholic beverages, because With the combined use of ornidazole with ethanol, the incidence of side effects increases.
Patients with liver disease also have a high risk of undesirable Meratin reactions.
Ornidazole enhances the effect of indirect anticoagulants, prolongs the action of vecuronium bromide.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dark place at room temperature.
Shelf life - 2 years.