Melissa officinalis (lemon mint, lemongrass, mother liquor, beekeeper, censer, papino grass) is a perennial herb of the family Yasnotkie, used in folk and official medicine.
The stems and leaves of Melissa officinalis contain up to 0.33% of the essential oil containing citronellal, citral, geraniol, myrcene, linolol, bitterness, aldehydes, mucus. Although it is worth noting, the composition of the oil may vary depending on the place of growth of the plant.
The leaves also contain condensed tannins, oleanolic, caffeic, and ursolic acids, ascorbic acid, and seeds - fatty oil.
In addition, in the aerial part of lemon grass were found:
- Macronutrients: potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium;
- Trace elements: manganese, copper, zinc, chromium, molybdenum, barium, aluminum, silicon, tungsten, nickel, sulfur, boron, lead.
And the plant concentrates selenium.
The most useful properties of lemon balm are:
In addition, the preparations of melissa:
- Slow breathing and heart rate;
- Reduce blood pressure;
- Reduce heartbeat, heart pain and shortness of breath;
- Relieve smooth muscle spasm;
- Eliminate bloating and vomiting;
- Excite the appetite.
Indications for use
From the above-ground part of melissa medicinal, infusions and decoctions are made, which are ingested for diseases of the nervous system, insomnia, melancholia, cardiovascular diseases, tachycardia, hypertension, bronchial asthma, atony of the stomach, and also as a stimulant for digestion, sudorific and relieving ihota. Also, traditional medicine recommends this plant for anemia, migraine, gout, toxemia of pregnant women, lactation deficiency, over-stimulation of sexual function.
Juice from lemon balm is taken orally in the following cases:
- To improve the appetite and activity of the digestive system, with flatulence, constipation, gout and anemia, biliary and renal colic;
- As a painkiller for various neuralgia, stomach and severe headaches, painful menstruation, rheumatic aches;
- In severe debilitating diseases for recuperation;
- With neuroses of the heart, insomnia, dizziness, fatigue, increased sexual excitability, noise in the ears, hysteria, atherosclerosis, fainting;
- With dermatological diseases.
In the form of enemas juice treat chronic constipation and hemorrhoids in the acute stage. In the form of rinsing it is used for inflammation of the gums, in the form of compresses and poultices - with boils.
Infusions, tinctures, decoctions and gruel of fresh leaves are used for bruises, ulcers, paralysis, gout, polyarthritis and furunculosis.
Melissa officinalis low toxicity. The only absolute contraindication to its use is arterial hypotension, because lemon grass helps to reduce pressure.
Homemade Lemon Balm Drugs
- Infusion: 1 tbsp. herbs pour 200 ml boiling water, for 40 minutes, insist and strain. Inside, take with nervous diseases, strong emotional upheaval, from fright, grief and anguish, with neurosis of the stomach - 1 tbsp. 3 times a day before meals. For rinsing this infusion can be used for toothache and gum disease, compresses with the use of means to impose with boils, ulcers, bruises, rheumatic pains in the joints and muscles;
- Infusion, helping to normalize the menstrual cycle: pour 15 g of grass with 180 ml of boiling water, wrap in heat and insist for 1 hour, drain. The resulting agent is divided into 3-4 doses during the day;
- Tincture recommended for bloating and gastrointestinal diseases: 1 tbsp. herbs pour 100 ml of alcohol or 1 cup of vodka, for 2 weeks, insist and strain. Take inside 15 drops 3 times a day;
- Lemon balm juice, which helps with overwork, dizziness and shortness of breath: squeeze the juice from the leaves collected before flowering, and take 40-60 drops from 1 tsp. honey on milk 5-6 times a day;
- Enemas with melissa for constipation and exacerbation of hemorrhoids: 1 tsp. juice plants for 1 cup of boiled water;
- Means, used for myocardial dystrophy: mix 40 g of lemon balm herb, 30 g of motherwort and 30 g of potentilla goose, take 2 tbsp. raw materials and pour 1 cup boiling water for 30 minutes, insist and strain. Take 1-2 cups per day.
From the fresh leaves of lemon mint prepare tea. In hot form, they drink it as a diaphoretic, in the cold - as a refreshing drink. In addition, it reduces dizziness and improves metabolism.
Melissa essential oil is recommended to be taken orally by 10-15 drops for heart pain, rapid heartbeat.
Lemongrass powder is used for hypochondria, convulsions and postpartum weakness - 1.8-3.7 g per 1 dose.
As a means of improving metabolism, Lemon balm herb is included in the composition of aromatic baths. To do this, take 20 g of lemon balm, yarrow, oregano, wormwood, peppermint, calamus root and pine buds, pour 10 liters of water and boil for 30 minutes. Take a bath for 15-20 minutes.