Melatonin is an adaptogenic agent used for insomnia.
Release form and composition
Melatonin is produced in the form of coated tablets (in blisters of 12 pcs.).
One tablet contains:
- Active ingredient: melatonin - N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine and N- [2- (5-Methoxy-1H-indol-3-yl) ethyl] acetamide - 3 mg;
- Auxiliary components: magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, anhydrous disubstituted calcium phosphate, stearic acid, colloidal silicon dioxide.
Indications for use
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome;
- States with impaired sleep;
- Violation of the biological cycle “sleep-awakening” (especially with frequent and fast change of several time zones);
- Premenstrual syndrome;
- Tumor diseases (prevention).
Melatonin is also used for prophylaxis in patients over the age of 40, as a means of stabilizing blood pressure, regulating the level of cholesterol in the blood, protecting cells from the harmful effects of free radicals, stimulating the immune system.
- Age (up to 12 years);
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Dosing and Administration
Tablets are taken inside before going to bed, drinking water (not chewed).
- Adults: 1-2 tablets;
- Children over 12 years: 1 tablet.
During the period of Melatonin therapy, there may be: rarely - headache, depression, stomach discomfort, “heavy head”.
During treatment, it is recommended to refrain from smoking and drinking alcohol.
Patients with epilepsy, deep depressive disorders, leukemia, autoimmune or hormonal diseases are advised to consult a doctor before using the drug.
Melatonin can adversely affect the patient's ability to perform potentially hazardous types of work that require increased attention and quick psychomotor reactions (when taken in 4-6 hours).
Effect of substances / drugs on melatonin while applying:
- Beta-blockers, aspirin: can reduce its level in the body;
- Tranquilizers, sedative antidepressants and other sedatives: may reduce the expected effect.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of reach of children at temperature up to 25 ° С.