Megays - synthetic progestogen; antitumor drug.
Release form and composition
Megues comes in tablet form: oval, biconvex, white or almost white, labeled “160” on one side and painted on the other (30 pieces each in dark glass vials, sealed with a polypropylene cap; 1 carton in a cardboard bundle).
The composition of the drug:
- Active ingredient: megestrol acetate - 160 mg (in 1 tablet);
- Auxiliary components: povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, lactose, sodium carboxymethyl starch.
Indications for use
Megues is intended for the palliative treatment of advanced endometrial cancer and breast cancer.
Also, the drug is used for weight loss and anorexia caused by acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and malignant tumors.
- Age up to 18 years;
- Use as a diagnostic test for pregnancy;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Megace should be used with caution in patients with a history of thrombophlebitis.
Dosing and Administration
The drug is taken orally.
Recommended daily doses:
- Breast cancer - 160 mg;
- Endometrial cancer - 80-320 mg;
The daily dose is taken in 1 or several receptions.
For anorexia or weight loss, 400-800 mg is prescribed in 1 reception.
The most frequent side effect of Megace in women with endometrial or breast cancer is an increase in body weight due to increased appetite.
Also possible are the following adverse reactions:
- Nausea and / or vomiting;
- Bleeding from the uterus, not associated with menstruation;
- Thromboembolism (including lung embolism and thrombophlebitis);
- Heart failure;
- Mood changes;
- Cushingic signs on the face;
- Carpal tunnel syndrome;
- Skin rashes;
- Temporary activation of the tumor.
There are isolated cases of the development of pathological conditions associated with impaired functioning of the pituitary-adrenal system, for example, the occurrence of diabetes mellitus or exacerbation of an existing disease with a decrease in glucose tolerance, glucose intolerance, Cushing syndrome.
In rare cases, after the end of a course of treatment, clinical signs of adrenal insufficiency occur.
Treatment with Megace should be carried out under the supervision of a medical professional with experience in chemotherapy.
For the entire period of use of the drug and for at least 3 months after its cancellation, women of childbearing age should use reliable methods of contraception.
In the case of long-term treatment with Megace, as well as after its cancellation, one should bear in mind the probability of suppression of adrenal function. In this case, it may be necessary to use shock doses of glucocorticoids as replacement therapy.
Possible adverse reactions with simultaneous use of Megace with other drugs:
- Busulfan - increases the risk of developing a life-threatening veno-occlusive disease;
- Doxorubicin - the toxicity of both drugs is mutually enhanced;
- Indinavir - its concentration is significantly reduced;
- Estradiol - increases the negative effect of megestrol on the metabolism of lipids and carbohydrates;
- Pagaspargaza - increases the likelihood of complications.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of reach of children at temperature up to 25 ºС.
Shelf life - 3 years.