Mebendazole is a broad-spectrum antihelminthic drug.
Release form and composition
Mebendazole dosage form - tablets (6 pieces in blisters, 1 package in carton packs).
The active ingredient of the drug is mebendazole. 1 tablet contains 100 mg.
Indications for use
- Mixed helminthiasis.
The use of mebendazole is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Severe abnormal liver function;
- Children's age up to 2 years;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Dosing and Administration
When enterobiasis, adults and children over 10 years old are prescribed 100 mg of mebendazole once, children 2-10 years old - 25-50 mg once. In the case of a high risk of re-invasion after 2-4 weeks, the reception is repeated in the same doses.
The treatment is recommended at the same time to all family members.
Dosing regimens for other types of invasions:
- Ascariasis, teniasis, ankilostomidoz, trichocephalosis, strongyloidiasis and mixed helminthiasis: 100 mg 2 times a day (morning and evening) for 3 days;
- Trichinosis: 200-400 mg 3 times a day in the first 3 days, the next 7 days - 400-500 mg 3 times a day. The general course of treatment is 10 days;
- Echinococcosis: in the first 3 days - 500 mg 2 times a day, the next 3 days - 500 mg 3 times a day, then in a daily dose of 25-30 mg / kg in 3-4 doses.
Possible side effects of mebendazole:
- Digestive system: rarely - abdominal pain, nausea; when taken in high doses over a long period - diarrhea, vomiting, transient increase in the activity of hepatic transaminases in the serum;
- Blood system: when taken in high doses for a long time - anemia, leukopenia, eosinophilia;
- Central nervous system: rarely - dizziness; with long-term intake of high doses - headache;
- Urinary system: when taken in high doses over a long period - cylinduria, hematuria;
- Other: with prolonged intake of high doses - hair loss, allergic reactions.
In the case of long-term treatment should monitor the function of the kidneys and liver, as well as the peripheral blood picture.
Do not take a laxative after taking mebendazole.
The entire period of treatment and during the day after its termination is forbidden to drink alcohol.
After the end of the therapeutic course, it is necessary to study the feces and smears of the anal area (treatment is considered effective in the absence of worms and their eggs for the next 7 days).
Mebendazole is not recommended to be administered simultaneously with lipophilic substances.
Carbamazepine and other inducers of metabolism can reduce the concentration of mebendazole in the blood, cimetidine - to increase.
During treatment with this drug in patients with diabetes mellitus, the need for insulin may decrease.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at temperatures up to 25 ºC in a place with limited access to children.
Shelf life - 4 years.