Ointment Indomethacin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent (NSAID) for external use with anti-inflammatory, anti-edematous and anesthetic action.
Release form and composition
Indometacin dosage form - ointment 10%: homogeneous, from yellow to yellow-brown color (40 g each in aluminum tubes, in a cardboard bundle 1 tube).
1 gram of ointment contains:
- Active ingredient: indomethacin - 100 mg;
- Auxiliary components: white wax, dimethyl sulfoxide, anhydrous lanolin, stearyl alcohol, cholesterol, vaseline.
Indications for use
Indomethacin ointment is used in the following cases:
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system: osteoarthritis of the peripheral joints and spine, ankylosing spondylitis, pain in the lower back, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis;
- Traumatic soft tissue injury;
- Muscle pain, including rheumatic origin.
Indomethacin ointment is strictly contraindicated in the following cases:
- Violation of the integrity of the skin;
- Peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer in the acute stage;
- Children's age up to 14 years;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug or other NSAIDs.
Caution should be used in patients with nasal mucous polyps, allergic rhinitis and bronchial asthma, as well as, if necessary, the simultaneous use of other NSAIDs.
Dosing and Administration
Ointment Indomethacin should be a thin layer to rub into the painful areas of the body 2-3 times a day.
- One-time: for adults - 4-5 cm, for children over 14 years old - 2-2.5 cm;
- Daily allowance: for adults - 15 cm, for children - 7.5 cm.
In some cases, when using the ointment Indometacin, the following side effects are noted: redness, itching, burning and flushing of the skin, rash, and allergic reactions. With prolonged treatment may develop systemic manifestations characteristic of indomethacin.
There are separate reports of cases of exacerbation of psoriasis.
The drug should not be applied to damaged areas of the skin.
Avoid contact with mucous membranes (including the eyes) and open wounds.
In case of undesirable reactions and / or side effects that are not specified in the instructions, you should consult a doctor.
It should be borne in mind that indomethacin:
- Enhances the action of antiplatelet agents, indirect anticoagulants and fibrinolitikov;
- Reduces the effectiveness of diuretics (saluretics), uricosuric and antihypertensive drugs;
- Enhances the side effects of estrogen, mineralocorticosteroids, other NSAIDs;
- Increases blood concentration of penicillins, lithium preparations, digoxin and methotrexate;
- Potenziruet toxic effect of zidovudine;
- Enhances the hypoglycemic effect of sulfonylurea derivatives.
Possible undesirable reactions of interaction with simultaneous use with indomethacin:
- Paracetamol - the risk of nephrotoxic effects;
- Gold preparations and cyclosporine - an increase in the nephrotoxicity of indomethacin;
- Glucocorticosteroids, colchicine and ethanol - the risk of developing gastrointestinal complications, accompanied by bleeding;
- Valproic acid, cefoperazone and cefamandol - the risk of bleeding, the likelihood of hypoprothrombinemia.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C, protected from light, out of reach of children.
Shelf life - 2 years.