Macropen is an antibacterial drug from the group of macrolides.
Release form and composition
- Tablets, film coated: round, slightly biconvex, white, with beveled edges, on one side - a notch (8 pieces in blisters, in a cardboard bundle 2 blisters);
- Granules for the preparation of oral suspension: small, orange-colored, with no visible impurities, with a slight smell of banana; the finished suspension is orange with a slight smell of banana (20 g each in dark glass bottles, in a cardboard bundle one bottle complete with a dosing spoon).
The composition of 1 tablet includes:
- Active ingredient: midekamitsin - 400 mg;
- Auxiliary components: talc, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, potassium polacrilin;
- Shell composition: macrogol, talc, methacrylic acid copolymer, titanium dioxide.
5 ml of suspension contains:
- Active ingredient: midekamitsin - 175 mg;
- Auxiliary components: sodium hydrophosphate anhydrous, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, sodium saccharinate, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, silicone defoamer, hypromellose, citric acid, mannitol, sunset sunflower yellow yellow FCF (E110), banana flavor, powder.
Indications for use
Macropene is used to treat infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to midecamycin:
- Urogenital infections caused by Chlamydia spp., Mycoplasma spp., Ureaplasma urealyticum and Legionella spp .;
- Respiratory tract infections (including those caused by atypical pathogens of Chlamydia spp., Mycoplasma spp., Ureaplasma urealyticum and Legionella spp.): Sinusitis, acute otitis media, community-acquired pneumonia, tonsillofingitis, exacerbation of chronic bronchitis;
- Infections of the skin and subcutaneous tissue;
- Enteritis caused by Campylobacter spp.
In addition, the drug is used to treat and prevent pertussis and diphtheria.
- Severe liver failure;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
In the form of tablets, the drug is contraindicated in children under 3 years.
With care to use Macropen should be used in patients with an allergic reaction to acetylsalicylic acid in history.
During pregnancy, the drug can be prescribed strictly by the doctor and only if the expected benefit for the expectant mother outweighs the possible risks to the fetus.
If you need a course of antibiotic therapy during lactation, breastfeeding is recommended to stop.
Dosing and Administration
Both forms of Macropen should be taken orally before meals.
To prepare the suspension, add 100 ml of distilled or boiled water to the bottle of granules and shake well. It is also recommended to shake the suspension before each administration.
- Adults and children weighing more than 30 kg - 400 mg 3 times a day. The maximum daily dose is 1600 mg;
- Children weighing less than 30 kg - 20-40 mg / kg in 3 doses or 50 mg / kg in 2 doses, with a severe course of the infection process - 50 mg / kg in 3 doses.
Single doses of Macropen in the form of a suspension in the appointment of the drug in a daily dose of 50 mg / kg with a frequency of 2 times a day, depending on the weight of the child:
- Up to 5 kg - 3.75 ml;
- 5-10 kg - 7.5 ml;
- 10-15 kg - 10 ml;
- 15-20 kg - 15 ml;
- 20-30 kg - 22.5 ml.
Treatment can last from 7 to 14 days, with chlamydial infections - 14 days.
Preventive doses of Macropen:
- Diphtheria - 50 mg / kg in 2 divided doses. Course - 7 days;
- Whooping cough - 50 mg / kg per day. The course is 7-14 days after contact with the patient.
Possible side effects of the drug:
- The digestive system: nausea, vomiting, feeling of heaviness in the epigastrium, stomatitis, diarrhea, loss of appetite, increased activity of hepatic transaminases and jaundice; in individual cases, prolonged severe diarrhea (may indicate the development of pseudomembranous colitis);
- Allergic reactions: urticaria, rash, pruritus, bronchospasm, eosinophilia;
- Other: weakness.
With long-term treatment there is a possibility of excessive growth of resistant bacteria.
The composition of the granules includes mannitol, which can lead to diarrhea.
In the case of prolonged therapy, liver enzyme activity should be monitored, especially in patients with impaired liver function.
Macropene azo dye E110 (yellow sunset) in patients with a history of allergy as a result of acetylsalicylic acid, can cause an allergic reaction, including bronchospasm.
There were no reports of a negative effect of the drug on the rate of psychophysical reactions and the ability to concentrate.
Caution should be exercised with the simultaneous use of ergot alkaloids and carbamazepine, because Midecamycin contributes to a decrease in their metabolism and an increase in serum concentration.
In the case of simultaneous use of Macropen slows down the excretion of anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) and cyclosporine.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature up to 25 ºС in a dry, dark place.
Shelf life - 3 years.
The suspension prepared from granules can be stored for 14 days in the refrigerator or for 7 days at room temperature (up to 25 ºС).