Loratadine - selective H1-histamine receptor blocker; antiallergic drug.
Release form and composition
- Tablets: round, flat-cylindrical, white or almost white in color, with a chamfer and a risk (10 pieces in blisters, in a carton pack of 1, 2 or 3 packs);
- Syrup: colorless or light yellow color, with strawberry flavor and smell (50 or 100 ml in dark glass bottles, in a cardboard bundle 1 bottle complete with a dosing cup or spoon).
The composition of the tablets:
- Active ingredient: loratadine - 10 mg in 1 tablet;
- Auxiliary components: sodium carboxymethyl starch, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, corn starch, colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose monohydrate, talc.
The composition of the syrup:
- Active ingredient: loratadine - 5 mg in 5 ml;
- Auxiliary components: propylene glycol, methyl hydroxybenzoate, anhydrous glycerin, sucrose, purified water, citric acid, strawberry flavor.
Indications for use
Loratadin is used in the following cases:
- Allergic rhinitis (seasonal and year-round);
- Allergic conjunctivitis;
- Chronic idiopathic urticaria;
- Itchy dermatosis (chronic eczema, contact allergic dermatitis);
- Allergic reactions to insect bites;
- Pseudo-allergic reactions to histaminole-librators;
- Bronchial asthma (as an aid).
The drug is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Children's age up to 2 years;
- Hypersensitivity to loratadine or auxiliary components.
Dosing and Administration
Both dosage forms of loratadine should be taken orally once a day.
Adults and children over 12 years old are prescribed 10 mg each (1 tablet or 10 ml of syrup).
Recommended single / daily doses for children 2-12 years of age, depending on their weight:
- Less than 30 kg - 5 mg (1/2 tablet or 5 ml of syrup);
- More than 30 kg - 10 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml of syrup).
Due to the likelihood of impaired clearance of loratadine, patients with liver and / or kidney dysfunction require correction in the dosage regimen.
According to clinical studies, the frequency of side effects when taking loratadine is approximately the same as with placebo:
- Nervous system: anxiety, dizziness, headache, fatigue, amnesia, tremor, depression, blepharospasm, drowsiness, dysphonia, asthenia, paresthesia, hyperkinesia, agitation (in children);
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue: dermatitis;
- Urogenital and urinary system: painful urge to urinate, change in urine color, vaginitis, menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea;
- Metabolism: sweating, weight gain, thirst;
- Musculoskeletal system: arthralgia, calf muscle cramps, myalgia;
- Digestive system: anorexia, change in taste, constipation or diarrhea, dry mouth, dyspepsia, flatulence, stomatitis, gastritis, nausea, increased appetite, vomiting;
- Respiratory system: sinusitis, dry nasal mucosa, cough, bronchospasm;
- Cardiovascular system: decrease or increase in arterial pressure, rapid heartbeat;
- Allergic reactions: photosensitivity, urticaria, pruritus, angioedema;
- Other: chills, fever, pain in the back, chest, mammary glands.
Overdose symptoms: headache, drowsiness, tachycardia. In case of overdose, measures should be taken to remove the drug from the gastrointestinal tract and reduce its absorption (gastric lavage, taking vomiting or laxatives, activated charcoal). Hemodialysis is not recommended, periotoneal dialysis is ineffective. Symptomatic treatment.
When using loratadine can not completely eliminate the risk of seizures, especially in predisposed patients.
If it is necessary to conduct a skin test for allergens, the drug should be canceled at least 1 week prior to the study.
When taken in therapeutic doses, the drug does not adversely affect the reaction rate and ability to concentrate. In the case of the development of side effects from the nervous system, care should be taken when driving vehicles and working with mechanisms.
With simultaneous use of loratadine with drugs inhibiting CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 isoenzymes or metabolizing in the liver with their participation (including ketoconazole, erythromycin, quinidine, fluoxetine, cimetidine, fluconazole), it is possible that the concentration of both substances in the blood plasma may change.
The effectiveness of loratadine is reduced by inductors of microsomal oxidation (ethanol, tricyclic antidepressants, barbiturates, rifampicin, zixorin, phenytoin, phenylbutazone).
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature of 15 to 25 ºС in a dry, dark place and out of reach of children.
Shelf life - 2 years.