Lipoic acid is a metabolic agent with antioxidant, lipid-lowering and hepatoprotective effects.
Release form and composition
- Tablets (12 mg - 10 pieces in blisters, in a cathonic pack of 5 packs; 50 each in cans, in a cardboard pack of 1 can; 25 mg - in 10 packs in blister packs, in a cathonic pack of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 packs; 50 each in cans, in a carton box of 1 can);
- Solution for injection (2 ml in ampoules, 10 ampoules per pack).
The active ingredient of the drug is thioctic acid:
- In 1 tablet - 12 or 25 mg;
- In 1 ml of solution - 5 mg.
Indications for use
Parenteral Lipoic acid is used to treat alcoholic and diabetic polyneuropathy.
Inside the drug is prescribed for the treatment of the following diseases:
- Hepatitis A;
- Chronic hepatitis;
- Cirrhosis of the liver;
- Fatty degeneration of the liver;
- Intoxication (including heavy metal salts);
- Poisoning with a toadstool.
In addition, Lipoic acid is used to treat and prevent hyperlipidemia, including accompanied by coronary atherosclerosis.
- Hyperacid gastritis;
- Peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer;
- Children's age up to 6 years (in the case of treatment of polyneuropathy - up to 18 years);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
During pregnancy, Lipoic acid is prescribed only if there are vital indications, if the expected benefit outweighs the potential risks.
If necessary, a course of therapy during lactation breastfeeding is recommended to stop.
Dosing and Administration
The solution is administered intramuscularly. A single dose is 2-4 ml. If necessary, the drug can be administered intravenously in a stream slowly or dropwise.
Inside lipoic acid should be taken after meals. A single dose for adults is 25 mg, daily - 50-150 mg. Reception frequency - 2-4 times a day.
Children older than 6 years prescribed 12-25 mg 2-3 times a day.
The duration of treatment is 20-30 days. If necessary, after a month's break, they repeat the course of therapy.
Possible side effects caused by the use of lipoic acid:
- Gastrointestinal tract: ingestion - abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, heartburn;
- Allergic reactions: itching, skin rash, urticaria, anaphylactic shock;
- Other: hypoglycemia, headache; with rapid intravenous administration - increased intracranial pressure, point hemorrhages in the skin and mucous membranes and a tendency to bleeding, diplopia, short-term delay or difficulty breathing, convulsions.
The entire period of treatment, especially at the beginning, in patients with diabetes mellitus, it is necessary to regularly monitor the concentration of glucose in the blood.
During the use of lipoic acid is recommended to refrain from the use of alcoholic beverages.
Thioctic acid may enhance the action of glucocorticoids, insulin and oral hypoglycemic drugs, reduce the effectiveness of cisplatin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dry, protected from light and out of reach of children at a temperature up to 25 ºС.
Shelf life - 3 years.