Lexin is the first-generation antibiotic of the cephalosporins group, which has a bactericidal effect against a wide range of microorganisms.
Release form and composition
- Powder for the preparation of 60 ml of the suspension for oral administration (in bottles, in a cardboard bundle one bottle complete with a measuring spoon);
- Capsules (in blisters, in a carton of 20 capsules).
Active ingredient Leksina - cefalexin:
- 5 ml of the finished suspension - 125 or 250 mg;
- 1 capsule - 500 mg.
Indications for use
Infectious diseases caused by microorganisms susceptible to cephalexin:
- Urinary system: acute and chronic pyelonephritis, cystitis, endometritis, prostatitis, urethritis, bacterial vaginitis;
- Respiratory tract: bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia;
- ENT-organs: angina, sinusitis, pharyngitis, otitis media;
- Skin and soft tissues: lymphadenitis, furunculosis, pyoderma, abscess, erysipelas;
- Bones: osteomyelitis.
Lexin is contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity to its components or cephalosporin antibiotics.
In the form of capsules, the drug is not intended for the treatment of children under the age of 12 years.
With caution prescribed to patients in the history of which there are indications of increased sensitivity to penicillins, because There is a chance of developing cross-allergy.
Special observation during treatment is necessary for patients with impaired renal and / or liver function.
Cephalexin does not have a mutagenic, embryotoxic and teratogenic effect on the fetus, but during pregnancy it is used only if there are vital indications and under strict medical supervision.
Cephalexin is excreted in breast milk, so if necessary, its appointment during lactation should decide on the possible termination of breastfeeding.
Dosing and Administration
Both capsules and suspension are intended for oral administration.
In the form of a suspension, Lexin is used to treat adults and children from the first days of life.
For its preparation it is necessary to use boiled water cooled to room temperature. Add the third part of the water to the powder vial, shake it thoroughly, pour in the second third of the water and shake well again, then pour the water up to the mark on the vial and leave the suspension for 5 minutes. Before each use, the bottle should be thoroughly shaken until a homogeneous suspension is formed.
Children Lexin is usually prescribed in a daily dose of 25-50 mg / kg. In severe cases, for example, with bacterial otitis, it is doubled. The daily dose is divided into 2-4 doses in equal parts at regular intervals.
The duration of treatment for uncomplicated infections is 7-10 days.
The finished suspension is metered using the supplied measuring spoon (l.). 1 scoop = 5 ml suspension.
- Children under 1 year old - 1 ml. Lexin 125 mg or 0.5 ml. Lexin 250 mg 3-4 times a day;
- Children 1-3 years old - 1 ml. Lexin 250 mg 3 times a day;
- Children 3-6 years old - 1.5 ml. Lexin 250 mg 3 times a day;
- Children over 6 years old - 2 ml. Lexin 250 mg 3-4 times a day.
For streptococcal pharyngitis, infections of the skin and urinary tract of moderate severity, the doctor may prescribe a drug at a dose of 250 mg every 6 hours or at a dose of 500 mg every 12 hours. In severe disease and complicated infections, the dose is doubled.
The daily dose of Lexia for adults is 2000-4000 mg, it is divided into several doses at regular intervals.
In the form of capsules, the drug is used to treat adults and children over 12 years old.
For uncomplicated infections of moderate severity, it is usually prescribed 1 capsule every 6 hours for 7-10 days. In severe infections, the dose is increased to 4000 mg per day.
Treatment of infectious diseases of streptococcal origin lasts at least 10 days.
Patients with impaired renal function dose is adjusted depending on the clearance of creatinine.
- Gastrointestinal: epigastric pain, abnormal stool, nausea, vomiting, pseudomembranous colitis; in some cases - increased activity of liver enzymes, toxic hepatitis;
- Hematopoietic system: thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, neutropenia;
- Central and peripheral nervous system: state of excitement or apathy, dizziness, tremor, disturbance of sleep and wakefulness, headache, convulsions;
- Urogenital system: interstitial nephritis, vaginitis (including candidal);
- Allergic reactions: flushing of the face and upper body, erythema, pruritus, skin rash, anaphylactic shock, angioedema, Stevens-Johnson syndrome;
- Other: spurious laboratory tests for glucose, an increase in prothrombin time.
Overdose symptoms: epigastric pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. In case of a further dose increase, symptoms of nervous system excitation, such as tremor and convulsions, may develop. The specific antidote cefalexin does not exist. When taking too high a dose of Lexine, gastric lavage should be done and enterosorbent should be taken, further treatment is symptomatic. In order to reduce the concentration of the drug in the blood, hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis can be indicated.
During treatment it is forbidden to consume alcoholic beverages, the drug is not compatible with ethanol.
Patients with diabetes should take into account that the suspension includes sucrose.
Cefalexin enhances the effect of indirect anticoagulants.
Lexin should not be administered simultaneously with chloramphenicol and tetracycline antibiotics.
Drugs with a pronounced diuretic effect and drugs with a nephrotoxic effect increase the nephrotoxicity of cephalexin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dry place at a temperature of 15-25 ºС.
Shelf life - 3 years.