May lily of the valley - a monotypic genus of herbaceous flowering plants. It is widely used not only by folk medicine, but also by official medicine, it is part of a large number of drugs.
- Cardiac glycosides;
- Steroid saponins;
- Organic acids (malic and citric);
- Essential oil;
The plant also contains many micro and macro elements that have a beneficial effect on the body.
The most valuable useful properties of the lily of the valley are:
In addition, lily of the valley is useful because:
- Regulates energy and fat metabolism in the heart muscle;
- Normalizes blood circulation;
- Improves the blood supply to the myocardium;
- Increases the strength of heart rate while slowing down the rhythm;
- Lowers venous pressure;
- Slows down atrioventricular conductivity;
- Soothes and strengthens the central nervous system;
- Eliminates shortness of breath;
- Normalizes the heart;
- Enhances urination;
- Reduces congestion;
- Relieves pain;
- Removes cyanosis and puffiness;
- Prevents infectious diseases.
It is important to note that the preparations of the lily of the valley do not possess a cumulative (accumulative) property, therefore, in comparison with other glycosides, they are more harmless and, therefore, can be used for a long time without harm to health.
Indications for use
May lily of the valley flowers are used to prepare remedies for headaches, nervous diseases and paralysis. Dried, powdered to a powdery state flowers are used as a snuff powder that helps with migraines and rhinitis.
Prepared from the leaves of the drugs externally used as a wound healing agent, inside - sedative.
Lily of the valley inflorescence is part of the collection Zdrenko - an effective antitumor phytotherapeutic agent.
Both inwardly and externally, the lily of the valley is used to treat a large number of diseases, including:
- Acute and chronic heart failure stage I and II;
- Dropsy of cardiac origin;
- Myocardial dystrophy;
- Paroxysmal tachycardia;
- Heart defects;
- Thyroid disease;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Eye diseases;
- Basedow's disease;
- Infectious diseases;
- Throat diseases;
May lily of the valley - a potent medicinal plant, contraindicated in the following cases:
- Acute diseases of the kidneys and liver;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Myocarditis in the acute phase;
- Sharp organic changes in the heart or blood vessels;
- Severe cardiosclerosis.
Lily of the valley refers to poisonous plants, because contains a strong glycoside convallotoxin, so it should be used with extreme caution only after consulting a doctor, strictly in accordance with his recommendations and under his control. Especially hard toxic effect of this plant is borne by children, there are cases of severe poisoning caused by taking lily of the valley berries. In the case of a child’s nausea and vomiting, immediately flush the stomach and give a cleansing enema.
Exceeding the recommended dose may cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dilated pupils, tinnitus, dizziness, drowsiness, bradycardia, severe weakness, ventricular flutter, extrasystole and even cardiac arrest.
Homemade medicines from lily of the valley
- Remedy for insomnia: 1 tbsp. herbs pour 250 ml boiling water, insist in a thermos for 10-12 hours and strain. Take 2 tbsp. before meals 4 times a day;
- Infusion used for fever, convulsions and heart weakness: take a glass container with a narrow neck, fill the lily of the valley with flowers with 2/3, top up with 90% alcohol, close the lid tightly and insist for 2 weeks, then strain and squeeze the raw material. Take 10-15 drops 3 times a day;
- Infusion from glaucoma: take 1 tsp. May lily of the valley flowers and 1/2 cup of fresh nettle, pour 20 ml of hot water, for 10 hours, insist, add another 10 ml of water. Apply the resulting mass to the affected eyes;
- Diuretic decoction: 15 g pour 1 cup of hot boiled water, boil for 30 minutes in a water bath, cool for 10 minutes, drain and squeeze the raw material. Take 20 minutes before meals for 2 tsp. 3 times a day;
- Tincture for rubbing with rheumatism and lotions for conjunctivitis: put fresh flowers in a jar and pour vodka, insist in a dark place for 18 days, strain through a double layer of gauze, dilute with clean water in a ratio of 1:10;
- Tincture used for neurosis and cardiac abnormalities: pour 70% alcohol in the ratio of 1:10 over the grass of the lily of the valley, insist in a dark place for 2 weeks and strain. Take 15-20 drops 3 times a day;
- Anti-inflammatory agent: 1 tsp. flowers pour 1 cup boiling water, 30 minutes, insist and strain. Take 1 dessert spoon 3 times a day after meals. The same infusion can be used externally as a lotion.