Laferobion - a drug with immunomodulatory, antiviral and antitumor activity.
Release form and composition
Laferobion dosage forms:
- Powder for the preparation of nasal solution (in vial number 1);
- Powder for preparation of solution for injections (in bottles No. 1).
The active ingredient of the drug is interferon recombinant human alpha-2b. In the powder for the preparation of a nasal solution it contains 100 thousand IU, in the powder for the preparation of a solution for injection - 1 million, 3 million, 5 million, 6 million, 9 million or 18 million IU.
Indications for use
Comprehensive treatment of infectious diseases:
- Infections caused by the herpes virus: herpes zoster, herpes lesions of the eyes, genital herpes, herpetic eruptions on the skin;
- Human papillomavirus infections;
- Hepatitis B virus infections (moderate to severe);
- Mixed infections (bacterial and viral), including in newborns.
Comprehensive treatment of cancer:
- Kaposi's sarcoma;
- Melanoma of the skin and eyes;
- Tumors of various localization, including the breast, ovary, bladder, kidneys.
Laferobion is also used as part of complex therapy for multiple sclerosis.
Nasal solution is used for the treatment and prevention of acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI).
- Severe kidney and / or liver disease;
- Pregnancy (because safety studies were not conducted);
- Lactation (since it is not known whether interferon is excreted in breast milk);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Dosing and Administration
Nasal solution is used for instillation into the nasal passages and inhalations.
To obtain a solution of Laferobion with an activity of 50 thousand IU to the contents of 1 bottle, add 2 ml of boiled or distilled water, with an activity of 100 thousand IU - 1 ml of water, then shake the bottle thoroughly.
It is recommended to begin treatment at the onset of the first symptoms of the disease.
When instilled in a single dose of 5 drops (0.25 ml) with an activity of 50-100 thousand IU in each nasal passage. The drug should be administered every 60-120 minutes, but at least 6 times a day. The duration of treatment is at least 2-3 days.
Children up to 1 month old use a solution of Laferobion with an activity of 50 thousand IU, 2-3 drops are dropped in each nasal passage 4-6 times a day for 3-5 days. When treating children of this age group, it is also possible to use the nasal turunda soaked in solution: they should be alternately inserted into each nostril for 10-15 minutes.
In the form of inhalation Laferobion used with an ultrasonic inhaler. For one procedure, 3 vials of powder are dissolved in 5 ml of sterile or boiled water. Inhalation done 2 times a day.
To prevent SARS infection during an epidemic or when in contact with a sick person, a drug with an activity of 50-100 thousand IU is administered 5 drops into each nostril 2 times a day (at least 6 hours apart) during the entire period of the threat of infection.
Solution for injection is intended for intramuscular or subcutaneous administration. Before the introduction, the contents of 1 vial are dissolved in 1 ml of injection water.
In the treatment of acute hepatitis B, which characterizes moderate or severe course, Laferobion is injected with 1 million IU 2 times a day for 5-6 days, then the frequency of use is reduced to 1 time per day and therapy is carried out for another 5 days. If there is a need to prolong the effect, the drug continues to be administered at 1 million IU 2 times a week for 14 days. The highest efficiency is noted when prescribing Laferobion in the first 5 days of the icteric period, the use in the later periods is less effective.
When exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B Laferobion used 3-6 million IU 3 times a week. Treatment can last up to 24 weeks. At the 12th week, the effectiveness of the therapy is assessed: if there is no clinical improvement and a decrease in HbeAg titer, the drug is canceled.
In chronic hepatitis C, 3 million IU is prescribed 3 times a week. The course is up to 24 weeks. At the 12th week, the effectiveness of the therapy is assessed: if clinical and biochemical improvement is not observed, the drug is canceled. After 1 month of treatment, the level of ALT is assessed: if the reduction is less than 50% of the initial data, the dose is increased to 6 million IU.
With tick-borne encephalitis, Laferobion is prescribed for 1-3 million IU 2 times a day for 10 days, then the dose is reduced to supportive - 1-3 million IU every other day, the treatment is continued for another 10 days.
In case of cancer, the drug is used in the maximum possible dose for each patient, i.e. those that he can take over a long period. Since Laferobion has only a cytostatic effect, it should be used after regressing the tumor focus or achieving remission.
Average recommended doses:
- Chronic myeloid leukemia - 9 million IU daily until hematologic remission is achieved, then - 9 million IU 3 times a week;
- Lymphocytic (hairy cell) leukemia - 3 million IU daily until hematologic remission is achieved, then - 3 million IU three times a week;
- Renal cell carcinoma - 18 million IU 3 times a week;
- Malignant melanoma - 18 million IU daily until partial or complete regression of metastases is achieved, then - 18 million IU three times a week;
- With Kaposi's sarcoma in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) - 36 million IU daily, after stabilization of the condition - 18 million IU 3 times a week.
The most common side effect of Laferobion is flu-like syndrome: headache, chills, asthenia, pain in the joints, muscles, back, neck and eyes.
Also in some cases noted:
- Cardiovascular system: cardiomyopathy, cardiomegaly, Raynaud's syndrome, angina pectoris, arrhythmia (usually bradycardia, sinus tachycardia or extrasystole), pulmonary embolism, arterial hypotension;
- Endocrine system: gynecomastia, changes in thyroid hormone levels (hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism), hyperglycemia;
- The digestive system: gingivitis, anorexia, changes in taste, dyspepsia, gastralgia, changes in the level of liver enzymes, hepatitis (up to hepatic coma);
- Nervous system: disorders of speech, thinking, memory, attention, sleep, extrapyramidal disorders, migraine, dizziness, hyper- and hypokinesis, paresthesias, ataxia, depression, aggressive reactions, emotional lability, delirium, a tendency to suicidal reactions;
- Blood system: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hypochromic anemia, hemolysis;
- Respiratory system: rhinitis, sinusitis, unproductive cough, dyspnea;
- Musculoskeletal system: bone pain, hyporeflexia, tendinitis, changes in the joints (arthrosis, arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis);
- The reproductive system: vaginal dryness, amenorrhea, sexual deviation, impotence;
- Others: dry skin, phlebitis, thirst, hypothermia, lymphadenopathy, edema (periorbital, genital organs), allergic reactions, cachexia, dehydration, hypercalcemia.
During treatment it is forbidden to consume alcoholic beverages.
The influence of Laferobion on the rate of psychophysical reactions and the ability to concentrate has not been studied.
Laferobion is not recommended to appoint simultaneously with glucocorticosteroids.
The use of other drugs is not contraindicated.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature of 2 to 8 ºC (in the refrigerator).
The prepared solution can be stored no more than a day in the refrigerator.