Cortexin is a drug that has a nootropic, neuroprotective and antioxidant effect, activates the metabolism of peripheral and central nervous system neurons and reparative processes, improving both the functions of the cerebral cortex and the overall tone of the nervous system.
Release form and composition
Cortexin is produced in the form of a lyophilisate, from which a solution is prepared for intramuscular administration, which is a powder or a porous mass of white or white with a yellowish tinge:
- At a dose of 5 mg - in bottles with a capacity of 3 ml, 5 bottles in blisters, 2 packs in a carton box;
- At a dose of 10 mg - in bottles of 5 ml, 10 bottles in a carton box.
The active ingredient of the drug is Cortexin, i.e. a complex of water-soluble polypeptide fractions, the molecular weight of which is not more than 10,000 Da: in 1 vial - 5 or 10 mg.
The auxiliary component is glycine (used as a stabilizer).
Indications for use
Cortexin is used in the complex therapy of the following diseases and conditions:
- Critical conditions of newborns diagnosed with perinatal damage to the nervous system;
- Various forms of cerebral palsy;
- Delayed speech and psychomotor development in children;
- Reduced learning ability;
- Cognitive impairment (thinking and memory disorders);
- Suprasegmental vegetative disorders;
- Encephalopathies of various natures of origin;
- Acute and chronic encephalomyelitis and encephalitis;
- Traumatic brain injuries and their consequences;
- Disorders of cerebral circulation and their consequences;
- Asthenic conditions.
The drug is not prescribed in only one case - with a known hypersensitivity to its components.
Dosing and Administration
The solution prepared from a lyophilisate is intended for intramuscular administration.
Before injection, 1-2 ml of a 0.9% solution of sodium chloride, water for injection, or a 0.5% solution of procaine (novocaine) are added to the contents of the vial. In order to prevent foaming, the needle is directed to the wall of the vial.
Enter Cortexin 1 time per day.
- Children weighing up to 20 kg - 0.5 mg / kg;
- Children weighing more than 20 kg - 10 mg;
- Adults - 10 mg.
The duration of treatment is 10 days. If necessary, after 3-6 months, repeat the course.
Adults with hemispheric ischemic stroke in the acute and early recovery periods of Cortexin are prescribed 10 mg 2 times a day (in the morning and in the afternoon). Therapy is carried out for 10 days, then after a 10-day interval, repeat the course.
In most cases, the drug is well tolerated. In some cases, the development of hypersensitivity reactions to its components.
The prepared solution can not be stored or used after storage. Cortexin should not be mixed with other solutions.
If for some reason the next injection was missed, it is not recommended to double the dose - you should enter the drug on the scheduled day, as usual.
Cortexin does not affect a person’s ability to perform potentially hazardous activities that require speed of psychophysical reactions and / or special attention (including driving and working with driving mechanisms).
Data on the interaction of Cortexin with other medicinal substances is missing.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature of 2 ° to 20 ° C in a dry, dark place.
Shelf life - 3 years.