Konvalis is an anticonvulsant drug.
Release form and composition
Convalis is available in the form of capsules of size 0 in yellow color, the contents of which is a white crystalline powder, sometimes with a slight yellowish tinge - 10 pcs. Each. in blisters, 3 or 5 packs in a carton box.
Composition 1 capsule:
- Active ingredient - gabapentin (300 mg);
- Auxiliary components - lactose monohydrate, pregelatinized corn starch, talc, magnesium stearate;
- The composition of the gelatin capsule is gelatin, titanium dioxide and iron dye oxide yellow.
Indications for use
- Epilepsy in adults and children over 12 years of age (Konvalis can be used both as a single agent and as part of a combination therapy for partial epileptic seizures, including with secondary generalization);
- Neuropathic pain in adults.
Convalis should not be used in such cases:
- Acute pancreatitis;
- Glucose-galactose malabsorption, lactose intolerance, lactase deficiency;
- Children's age up to 12 years;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
With care it is necessary to apply at a renal failure.
Dosing and Administration
The drug is taken orally, swallowing capsules whole and washed down with a small amount of water, regardless of meals.
Treatment of partial epileptic seizures (as monotherapy or adjuvant) in children over 12 years of age and adults begins with a dose of 300 mg (1 capsule) 1 time per subject. Then it is gradually increased to 900 mg (3 capsules) per day: on the second day they take 300 mg 2 times a day, on the third day they take 300 mg 3 times a day. If necessary, increase the dose further.
The average therapeutic daily dose of Convalis is 900-1200 mg, the maximum permissible dose is 3600 mg divided into 3 equal doses at 8-hour intervals. In order to avoid renewed seizures between doses of the drug should not be more than 12 hours.
In case of neuropathic pain, it is recommended to take the drug according to the following scheme: on the first day - 300 mg, the second - 300 mg 2 times a day, the third - 300 mg 3 times a day. With intense pain, taking 300 mg 3 times a day is allowed from the first day. Depending on the effect, the dose can be gradually increased, but not more than up to 3600 mg per day.
Patients with impaired renal function reduce the daily dose depending on creatinine clearance: 50-79 ml / minute - 600-1800 mg, 30-49 ml / min - 300-900 mg, 15-29 ml / min - 300-600 mg, less than 15 ml / min - 300 mg every other day or daily.
The initial dose for patients on hemodialysis is 300 mg. After each 4-hour session, an additional 300 mg is additionally taken. On days when dialysis is not performed, the drug is not taken.
In the treatment of neuropathic pain:
- The digestive system: dry mouth, flatulence, dyspepsia, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain;
- Central nervous system (CNS): ataxia, dizziness, gait disturbance, hypoesthesia, tremor, confusion, impaired thinking, drowsiness, amnesia;
- Respiratory system: pharyngitis, shortness of breath;
- Skin: rash;
- Sense organs: amblyopia;
- Others: influenza-like syndrome, infectious diseases, headache, pain of different localization, weight gain, asthenic syndrome, peripheral edema.
In the treatment of partial seizures:
- Cardiovascular system: increase or decrease in blood pressure, symptoms of vasodilation;
- Digestive system: abdominal pain, gingivitis, constipation, anorexia, dental disease, increased appetite, dyspepsia, dry mouth or throat, diarrhea, nausea, flatulence, vomiting;
- Blood system: leukopenia, purpura;
- Musculoskeletal system: back pain, arthralgia, myalgia, increased bone fragility;
- Nervous system: strengthening, weakening or absence of tendon reflexes, hyperkinesis, impaired motor coordination, tremor, muscle fibrillation, paresthesia, ataxia, nystagmus, dysarthria, dizziness, amnesia, confusion, hostility, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, emotional lability, drowsiness, disturbed thinking;
- Respiratory system: rhinitis, pharyngitis, cough, pneumonia;
- Urinary system: urinary tract infection;
- Sense organs: amblyopia, blurred vision, diplopia;
- The reproductive system: impotence;
- Skin: itchy skin, acne, skin rash, abrasions;
- Other: swelling of the face, peripheral edema, fever, asthenic syndrome, fatigue, headache, weight gain, viral infection.
When comparing the tolerability of Convalis in daily doses of 300 mg and 3600 mg, there was a dose-related dependence of such side effects as drowsiness, ataxia, paresthesias, dizziness and nystagmus.
Data on side effects in the post-registration period: allergic reactions, abnormal liver function and pancreas, acute renal failure, gynecomastia, an increase in the volume of the mammary glands, hallucinations, tinnitus, movement disorders (discenisia, myoclonus, dystonia), urination disorders, thrombocytopenia, heartbeat.
In the case of a sharp abolition of Convalis, there may be: nausea, sweating, insomnia, anxiety, pains of various locations.
Konvalis can influence the results of urine protein analysis using the Ames N-Multistix SG test system, therefore, the obtained data must be confirmed with the help of another study.
Patients with diabetes may require a dose change of the hypoglycemic drug.
If symptoms of acute pancreatitis develop, the drug should be discontinued.
If it is necessary to cancel Convalis or replace it with an alternative means, it is necessary to gradually reduce the dose for at least 1 week, since abrupt discontinuation of the anticonvulsant drug may lead to the development of seizures.
It should be borne in mind that during treatment increased risk of suicide. In time to identify behavioral disorders that may be harbingers of suicidal thoughts and actions, it is necessary to monitor the mental state of patients.
During the period of Convalis’s application, it is necessary to refrain from driving vehicles and performing activities with potentially dangerous consequences.
Aluminum and magnesium antacids reduce the bioavailability of gabapentin by about 20%. For this reason, Convalis should be taken no earlier than 2 hours after taking the antacid.
Ethanol and agents that affect the central nervous system may increase the side effects of gabapentin from the central nervous system.
Naproxen enhances the absorption of gabapentin, while its pharmacokinetic parameters do not change.
Pymetidine slightly reduces renal excretion of gabapentin.
With simultaneous use, the pharmacokinetic parameters of hydrocodone are reduced and the total concentration of gabapentin increases.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at temperatures up to 25 ºС in a place protected from moisture and light, out of reach of children.
Shelf life - 3 years.