Kolpotrofin - a drug that affects the mucous membrane of the female genital organs and improves their trophism, protects and restores the vaginal epithelium, contributes to its proliferation.
Release form and composition
Kolpotrofin is available in the following dosage forms:
- Vaginal capsules, 10 pcs. packaged;
- 1% vaginal cream, 15 g in tubes.
The active ingredient of the drug is promestrien (10 mg in 1 capsule and 1 g of cream).
- Capsules - soft white paraffin, gelatin, sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate, sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate, perhydrogenated polyisobutene, sorbitan sesquioleate, anhydrous silicon colloidal oxide, dimethicone, purified water;
- Cream - glycerin, polyglycolic esters of saturated fatty alcohols, sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate, medium chain triglycerides, a mixture of di- and monoglycerides of saturated fatty acids, decyloleate, sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate, purified water.
Indications for use
For both dosage forms:
- Treatment of urogenital disorders due to estrogen deficiency (pruritus and vaginal dryness, urinary incontinence, dyspareunia, recurrent vaginitis);
- Pre- and postoperative therapy for intravaginal access surgery;
- Postoperative ovarian removal therapy;
- Postpartum restoration of the cervix, vagina, vulva and perineum.
Additionally for vaginal capsules:
- Restoration of the vaginal epithelium after inflammatory diseases;
- Healing of erosion of the cervical epithelium after surgical treatment;
- Preparing the cervix for childbirth.
Additionally for cream: synechia.
- Estrogen-dependent tumors of the endometrium and breast;
- Lactation period;
- Children's age (for capsules);
- Hypersensitivity to promestriene or auxiliary components.
Kolpotrofin is prescribed to prepare the cervix for childbirth, but there is no sufficient data on the safety of its use by pregnant women for other indications, so the drug can be used only if the expected benefit for the expectant mother outweighs the potential risks to the fetus.
Dosing and Administration
Kolpotrofin capsules are intended for intravaginal use.
Recommended dosing regimen:
- Urogenital disorders - 1 capsule per day for 20 days. At the discretion of the doctor, the dose and duration of treatment may be adjusted. If necessary, the drug can be prescribed for maintenance therapy;
- Pre- and postoperative treatment with intravaginal access for surgical intervention - 1 capsule per day 10-20 days before the operation and the same after it;
- Healing of the cervical epithelium after erosion treatment - 1 capsule per day for 10 days, if necessary, the course can be extended;
- Preparation of the cervix for childbirth - 1 capsule per day for 5-6 days before the expected date of birth;
- Healing of the cervix and vagina after childbirth - 1 capsule for 10 days.
In case of urogenital disorders, the cream should be applied with a thin layer on the urethra, vulva and vagina and rubbed with cautious massaging movements 1 time per day for the first 7 days daily, then once every 2 days for 3 weeks. The dosage regimen and the duration of treatment can be adjusted by the attending physician. If necessary, Kolpotrofin can be prescribed for maintenance therapy.
For pre- and postoperative therapy in case of surgical intervention with intravaginal approach, the cream should be applied 1 time per day for 10–20 days before the operation and the same after it.
To accelerate postpartum healing of the perineum, vagina and vulva - 1 time per day for 10 days.
When synechia drug is also used 1 time per day, the duration of treatment is determined individually. Since promestrien has no systemic effect, Kolpotrophin can be used for a long time.
Basically, the drug is well tolerated. In rare cases, local allergic reactions in the form of itching and irritation are noted.
In case of overdose, side effects may increase.
Colpotrophin in the form of a vaginal cream may be prescribed to treat synechia in adolescent girls.
In the event of metrorrhagia (uterine bleeding not related to the menstrual cycle), symptomatic therapy is necessary.
The lubricants and oily substances containing mineral oils that make up Kolpotrofin reduce the strength of the condom and increase the likelihood of its breaking.
Progestrien inactivates the action of spermicidal agents.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at temperature: cream - 9-14 ºС, capsules - 14-24 ºС.
Shelf life - 5 years.