Kokav - a vaccine used for the prevention of rabies.
Release form and composition
The dosage form of Kokava is a lyophilisate, from which a solution is prepared for intramuscular (IM) administration, which is a porous hygroscopic mass of white, 2.5 IU each in ampoules, in a cardboard bundle 5 ampoules complete with 5 ampoules (1 ml) of solvent .
The active ingredient of the drug is inactivated rabies vaccine virus, strain "Vnukovo-32". In 1 dose - not less than 2.5 IU.
Auxiliary components: gelatin, sucrose and human albumin.
The solvent is water for injection.
Indications for use
- Treatment-and-prophylactic immunization after contact (including bites) with patients, wild, unknown, or animals with suspected rabies infection;
- Preventive immunization of people with a high risk of rabies infection - veterinarians, laboratory workers who work with street rabies virus, hunters, foresters, rangers, people who work on keeping and / or catching animals, etc.
There are no contraindications for therapeutic and prophylactic immunization.
Preventive immunization is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Acute diseases (infectious and non-infectious genesis), chronic diseases in the stage of decompensation or exacerbation (vaccinations do not earlier than 1 month after remission);
- Systemic allergic reactions in history, developed as a result of the administration of Kokava (angioedema, generalized rash, etc.);
Dosing and Administration
The vaccine is injected slowly intramuscularly into the deltoid muscle of the shoulder, children under 5 years old - in the upper part of the anterolateral surface of the thigh. Before the introduction of the lyophilisate (contents of 1 ampoule), dissolve with the supplied solvent (1 ml of injection water). Dissolution time should not exceed 5 minutes.
Therapeutic and Immunization:
- Salting the undamaged skin, scratches, abrasions, surface bites of the lower and upper extremities (except for the head, neck, face, wrist, toes and hands) or body of domestic and farm animals: Kokav is prescribed immediately, injected with 1 ml on the same day, then on days 3, 7, 14, 30 and 90;
- Salivation of mucous membranes, bites of the head, neck, face, genitalia, hands, toes and hands, single or multiple deep lacerations caused by domestic or farm animals; any debris and damage caused by rodents, bats or wild carnivores: immediately begin a combination anti-rabies immunoglobulin (AIG) treatment on the day it happened, and Kokav vaccine - 1 ml each in 0, 3, 7, 14, 30 and 90 day.
If within 10 days of observation the animal remains healthy, in both cases, the drug is canceled (ie, after 3 injections). If it is laboratory proved that there is no rabies in the animal, treatment is stopped on the day the test results are received. In all other cases, when it is impossible to observe the animals for 10 days (escaped, died, killed, etc.), the treatment is continued as described.
If there are indications for combination therapy, first administer AIH (as soon as possible after contact with an animal), and then Kokav, but no later than 30 minutes.
Notes to the scheme of therapeutic and prophylactic vaccinations with the Kokav and AIG vaccine:
- For adults and for children, the doses are the same;
- A course of treatment and prophylactic treatment is prescribed in any case, regardless of the time when the victim applied for help, even if several months passed after contact with an animal;
- Persons who have already received a full course of treatment-and-prophylactic or prophylactic vaccinations over the past year are prescribed only three injections of Kokawa - 1 ml each at 0, 3 and 7 days. If more than a year has passed or an incomplete course of immunization has been carried out before, the drug is administered in full according to the above scheme;
- After the end of the course of immunization, a certificate is issued to the patient, which indicates the type and series of drugs, the course of vaccinations and vaccine-free reactions;
- The vaccine is warned that during the entire course of immunization and for 6 months after its termination it is forbidden to consume any alcoholic beverages. It is also recommended to avoid overworking, overheating, or hypothermia during the entire course of vaccinations;
- Immunosuppressants and glucocorticosteroids can lead to ineffective vaccine therapy. If vaccination is necessary during the period of administration of these drugs, it is necessary to determine the titer of neutralizing antibodies. In their absence, an additional course of immunization is given at 0, 7, and 30 days.
- Primary immunization: make 3 injections of 1 ml at 0, 7 and 30 days;
- The first revaccination after 1 year - 1 injection of 1 ml;
- Subsequent revaccination every 3 years - 1 injection of 1 ml.
Precautions for use:
- The drug is unsuitable for use, if the labeling and / or the integrity of the ampoule is violated, the color or transparency is changed, the expiration date has expired, the storage rules have not been complied with;
- The opening of the ampoules and the introduction of the vaccine should be carried out in strict compliance with the rules of asepsis;
- At least 30 minutes after vaccination, the patient should be under the supervision of medical specialists;
- An anti-shock therapy should be provided in the room for vaccinations.
Vaccine administration may be accompanied by local or general reactions:
- Local reactions: slight swelling, redness, hyperemia, soreness, itching at the injection site, an increase in regional lymph nodes;
- General reactions: malaise, headache, fever, weakness, systemic allergic reactions (angioedema, generalized rash). In this case, it is recommended to conduct symptomatic therapy and the use of hyposensitizing agents. Since there is a possibility of neurological symptoms, the patient should be urgently hospitalized.
During the period of treatment it is recommended to refrain from driving and performing other activities that require speed of reaction and high concentration of attention.
Preventive vaccination with Coke can be given no earlier than 1 month after immunization against another infectious disease.
During treatment and prophylactic vaccination is prohibited to introduce any other vaccines. After the end of immunization against rabies, the introduction of other vaccines is possible only after 2 months.
Immunosuppressants and corticosteroids in the period of therapeutic and prophylactic vaccination can be prescribed only for health reasons.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature of 2-8 ºС.
Shelf life - 1.5 years. Dissolved vaccine can be stored no more than 5 minutes.