Mefenamic acid is a drug with analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Release form and composition
Mefenamic acid is produced in the form of tablets, 10 pcs. Each. in blisters, 5 packs in cartons.
The composition of 1 tablet contains 500 mg of the same active substance.
Auxiliary components: methylcellulose, potato starch, octadecanoic acid, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate.
Indications for use
- Febrile illness (as a febrifuge);
- Pain syndrome (symptomatic therapy);
- Influenza and ARVI (as part of complex therapy);
- Inflammatory processes of the osteo-articular apparatus, including rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatism, ankylosing spondylitis;
- Functional dysmenorrhea;
- Post-operative and post-traumatic manifestations (edema, pain, inflammation);
- Blood loss in menorrhagia due to ovulatory dysfunctional bleeding in the absence of pelvic organ disease.
- Peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- Inflammatory processes of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Functional disorders of the kidneys and liver;
- Blood disorders;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Children's age up to 5 years;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Dosing and Administration
Mefenamic acid should be taken orally after meals.
Adults are prescribed 3-4 times a day, 1 tablet (0.5 g). With good tolerability of the drug, if necessary, the daily dose is increased to a maximum of 3 g. After improvement, the dose is usually reduced by 3 times.
Children aged 5-10 years, the drug is prescribed 3-4 times a day to 0.25 g, children over 10 years old - 0.3 g with the same frequency of administration.
The duration of the treatment course depends on the characteristics of the course of the disease and the tolerability of the drug. As a rule, it is 20-45 days (up to 60 days if necessary).
The most common side effects during therapy are changes in the gastrointestinal tract, accompanied by gastrointestinal discomfort, dyspepsia, diarrhea, painful symptoms in the epigastrium, and elevated levels of liver enzymes. While taking the drug may develop gastric ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding.
Disturbances on the part of certain body systems may also develop:
- Respiratory system: dyspnea, bronchospasm;
- Cardiovascular system: increased blood pressure, heart rhythm disturbances, peripheral edema, rarely - congestive heart failure;
- Urogenital system: non-specific inflammation of the kidneys, dysuric manifestations, albuminuria, impaired renal function, hematuria;
- Central nervous system: very rarely - irritability, sleep disturbance;
- Hematological effects: agranulocytosis, hemolytic anemia, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenic purpura or thrombocytopenia;
- Allergic reactions: urticaria, skin rashes.
With the development of uncharacteristic symptoms, you must consult a doctor.
Mefenamic acid affects platelet function, which contributes to the enhancement of the effect of vitamin K antagonists and anticoagulant therapy.
To enhance the effect of the drug can phenothiazine derivatives, opioid analgesics, dicoumarin, vitamins B6 and B1.
When taken simultaneously with Acid, mefenamine methotrexate has more pronounced negative effects.
Warfarin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in combination with the use of mefenamic acid increase the risk of gastrointestinal disorders, antacids increase its bioavailability, which may increase its side effects.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children at a temperature up to 25 ° C.
Shelf life - 5 years.