Ketamine is a drug used for non-inhalational anesthesia.
Release form and composition
Ketamine is produced in the form of a solution for intravenous and intramuscular administration (in ampoules of 2 ml, 5 ampoules in carton packs; in vials of 5 ml, 5 bottles in carton packs).
The composition of 1 ml of the solution contains the active substance: ketamine (in the form of hydrochloride) - 50 mg.
Indications for use
Ketamine is used for basic and induction anesthesia in the following cases:
- Painful instrumental and diagnostic manipulations;
- Short-term surgical procedures, requiring or not requiring muscle relaxation;
- Burn surface treatment;
- Transportation of patients.
- Epilepsy in childhood;
- Disorders of cerebral circulation;
- Arterial hypertension;
- Eclampsia and preeclampsia;
- Angina and heart failure (decompensation phase).
The safety and efficacy of ketamine use in pregnant women has not been studied, so drug therapy is not recommended in this category of patients.
Dosing and Administration
Depending on the clinical situation, indications, age of the patient, drugs used for sedation, a single dose is:
- Intravenous administration - 0.5-4.5 mg / kg;
- Intramuscular administration - 4-13 mg / kg.
During therapy may develop the following disorders:
- The digestive system: hypersalivation;
- Cardiovascular system: tachycardia, increased blood pressure;
- Respiratory system: respiratory depression, shortness of breath;
- Central nervous system: hallucinations and psychomotor agitation at the time of recovery from anesthesia;
- Local reactions: in some cases - hyperemia along the veins and tenderness at the injection site.
Ketamine should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease.
In operations performed on the pharynx and larynx, Ketamine should be used simultaneously with muscle relaxants.
At least within 24 hours after the use of the drug, patients should refrain from driving vehicles and performing other potentially dangerous types of work.
It should be borne in mind that Ketamine enhances the effect of tubocurarine, potentiates the action of drugs for inhalation anesthesia, but does not change the properties of succinylcholine and pancuronium.
Due to the formation of a precipitate, Ketamine is chemically incompatible with barbiturates.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a dark, out of reach of children in tightly closed packaging at temperatures up to 30 ° C.
Shelf life - 2 years.