Kestin is a blocker of long-acting histamine H1 receptors; antiallergic agent.
Release form and composition
Kestin dosage forms:
- Lyophilized tablets - 10 pcs. in blister packs, in a cardboard box 1 blister;
- Coated tablets (p / o) - 5 or 10 pcs. in blisters, in a carton 1 blister (10 mg); on 10 pieces in a blister, in a carton pack of 1 or 2 blisters (20 mg);
- Syrup for oral administration - in dark glass bottles of 60 and 120 ml, in a cardboard bundle one bottle complete with a measuring device in the form of a syringe.
The active ingredient of the drug - ebastine. Its content is:
- 1 tablet lyophilized - 20 mg,
- 1 coated tablet - 10 or 20 mg;
- 1 ml of syrup - 1 mg.
- Lyophilized tablets - aspartame, mannitol, gelatin, mint flavor;
- Tablets p / o - lactose monohydrate, corn starch, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose structured, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, polyethylene glycol 6000;
- Syrup - glycerol oxystearate, lactic acid 85%, neohesperidin dihydrochalcon, sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate, sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate, glycerol, anethole, 70% sorbitol solution, sodium hydroxide, dimethyl polysiloxane, distilled water.
Indications for use
- Seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis caused by pollen, household, epidermal, medicinal or food allergens;
- Urticaria caused by exposure to cold and / or sun, as well as pollen, household, epidermal, insect, medicinal, food allergens;
- Allergic conditions and diseases caused by an increased histamine release.
- Lactation period;
- Phenylketonuria (for lyophilized tablets);
- Children age up to 15 years old - for lyophilized tablets, up to 12 years old - for coated tablets.
Caution is prescribed:
- Tablets - in patients with renal / hepatic insufficiency, hypokalemia, increased QT interval;
- Syrup - for children under 6 years of age, patients with renal / hepatic insufficiency.
Dosing and Administration
All medicinal forms of Kestin are intended for oral administration. The drug is taken 1 time per day at any convenient time, without reference to meals.
Tablets p / o should be swallowed whole with water. Recommended doses:
- Children 12-15 years old and adult patients with impaired liver function - 10 mg;
- Children over 15 years old and adults 10-20 mg.
Lyophilized tablets should be absorbed in the mouth. No need to wash down with liquid. Children over 15 and adults are prescribed 1 tablet per day.
Recommended doses of Kestin syrup:
- Children 6-12 years old - 5 ml;
- Children 12-15 years old - 10 ml;
- Children over 15 years old and adults 10-20 ml.
The daily dose of 20 mg can be prescribed only by a doctor.
The duration of treatment is determined by the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease.
Basically, the drug is well tolerated. In rare cases, there are:
- Nervous system: headache, drowsiness or insomnia;
- Digestive system: dryness of the oral mucosa, abdominal pain, nausea, dyspepsia;
- Respiratory system: rhinitis, sinusitis:
- Other: allergic reactions, asthenic syndrome.
In the case of receiving an excessive dose of Kestin (300-500 mg), fatigue and dryness of the oral mucosa are noted. Ebastine special antidote does not exist. In case of overdose, it is recommended to do a gastric lavage. Further symptomatic treatment under the control of vital body functions.
To avoid damage to lyophilized tablets, do not get them out of the blister by pressing. To get a pill out of the package, you need to carefully lift the free edge of the protective film.
Ebastine may affect the results of skin allergy tests. For this reason, it is recommended to conduct a study no earlier than 5-7 days after the withdrawal of Kestin.
In most cases, the drug does not affect the speed of psychophysical reactions and concentration. However, in the event of side effects from the nervous system, a slight decrease in a person’s ability to drive and engage in potentially hazardous activities is possible.
Kestin should not be taken simultaneously with erythromycin or ketoconazole, since the risk of lengthening the QT interval increases.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store out of reach of children, protected from light, at a temperature of: tablets p / o - up to 25 ºС, tablets lyophilized - up to 30 ºС, syrup - 15-25 ºС.
Syrup expiration date - 2 years, tablets - 3 years.