Cavinton is a drug that improves cerebral circulation, increases the consumption of oxygen and glucose by the brain tissue, and increases the resistance of neurons to hypoxia.
Release form and composition
Cavinton is available in the following forms:
- Tablets (25 pieces in blisters, 2 blisters per pack);
- Concentrate from which the solution is prepared for infusions (in dark glass ampoules with a volume of 2 and 5 ml, 10 ampoules in a carton pack; 10 ml in volume, 5 ampoules per pack).
The active ingredient of the drug is vinpocetine. In 1 tablet and 1 ml of its concentrate contains 5 mg.
- Tablets: magnesium stearate, anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide, talc, lactose monohydrate, corn starch;
- Concentrate: sodium disulfite, benzyl alcohol, tartaric acid, sorbitol, ascorbic acid, injectable water.
Indications for use
In neurology, Cavinton is prescribed to reduce the severity of mental and neurological symptoms caused by various forms of circulatory insufficiency in the brain. These conditions include:
- Atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels;
- Vascular dementia;
- Transient ischemic attack;
- Vertebrobasilar insufficiency;
- The recovery stage of hemorrhagic stroke,
- Ischemic stroke and the consequences of a stroke;
- Post-traumatic and hypertensive encephalopathy;
Indications for use of Cavinton in ophthalmology are chronic vascular diseases of the choroid and retina, including occlusion of the vein of the retina and central artery.
In otorhinolaryngological practice, the drug is used to treat idiopathic tinnitus, Meniere's disease and perceptual hearing loss.
- Severe arrhythmias;
- Severe IHD;
- Acute phase of hemorrhagic stroke;
- Lactose intolerance;
- Children's age up to 18 years;
- Breastfeeding period;
- Hypersensitivity to vinpocetine or excipients.
Dosing and Administration
A solution for injection is prepared from the concentrate. For breeding using saline or solutions containing dextrose (Index, Ringer, Salsol, Reomacrodex). Enter the drug by intravenous drip infusion at a rate of not more than 80 drops per minute.
The standard daily dose is 20-25 mg, diluted in 500 ml of infusion solution. Within 2-3 days, taking into account the tolerance of Cavinton, the dose can be increased, but not more than 1 mg per kilogram of body weight per day. The average daily dose for a patient with a body weight of 70 kg is 50 mg, the duration of treatment is 10-14 days. After the end of the course in / in the treatment of the patient, as a rule, transferred to the oral form of the drug.
Tablets should be taken orally after meals. The initial daily dose is 15 mg - 5 mg three times a day, if necessary, it is increased to 30 mg - 10 mg 3 times a day. Treatment can last from 1 to 3 months.
Basically, Cavinton is well tolerated. In rare cases, the following side effects occur:
- Cardiovascular system: phlebitis, skin hyperemia, change in blood pressure (often decrease), change in ECG (prolongation of the QT interval, ST depression). There are cases of the development of extrasystole and tachycardia, but the relationship between these symptoms and the use of Cavinton has not been reliably established;
- Digestive system: heartburn, dry mouth, nausea;
- Central nervous system: increased drowsiness or insomnia, headache, dizziness, general weakness (however, it should be borne in mind that these phenomena may be manifestations of the underlying disease);
- Other: increased sweating, allergic skin reactions.
Data on overdose of vinpocetine is currently limited. In the case of taking too high a dose of Cavinton, gastric lavage should be done and activated charcoal should be taken. Further treatment is symptomatic.
It is strictly forbidden to enter the concentrate Cavinton without dilution!
Periodic ECG monitoring is required for patients diagnosed with prolonged QT interval syndrome and those taking medications that prolong the QT interval.
The infusion solution prepared from the concentrate contains sorbitol (in 2 ml - 160 mg), therefore, patients with diabetes mellitus need regular monitoring of blood glucose levels.
Each tablet contains 41.5 mg of lactose monohydrate, this should be considered in patients with lactose intolerance.
The drug is not recommended to appoint in case of deficiency of fructose 1,6-diphosphatase or fructose intolerance.
There is no evidence of the negative impact of vinpocetine on the speed of psychophysical reactions and the ability to concentrate.
Although very rare, but with the simultaneous use of Vinpocetine with alpha-methyldopa, some enhancement of the hypotensive effect is possible. Therefore, patients who are assigned a similar combination, require regular monitoring of blood pressure.
There is no reliable data confirming the interaction of Vinpocetine with antiarrhythmics and drugs of central action. However, while appointing them simultaneously, caution is advised.
In the form of a concentrate, Cavinton is chemically incompatible in heparin and infusion solutions containing amino acids.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of reach of children. The optimum storage temperature is from 15 to 30 ºС.
Shelf life - 5 years. The solution prepared from the concentrate should be used within 3 hours.