Kanesten is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent for topical and topical use.
Release form and composition
Forms of release Kanesten:
- 1% cream for external use - in aluminum tubes of 20 g, 1 tube in a carton box;
- 1% spray for external use - in plastic bottles, equipped with a dosing device with a volume of 30 ml, 1 bottle in a carton box;
- Vaginal tablets are in blister packs of foil: 100 mg tablets - 6 pcs each, 200 mg tablets - 3 pcs. Each, 500 mg tablets - 1 pc., 1 blister pack complete with an applicator per pack.
The active ingredient of the drug is clotrimazole, its concentration:
- In 1 g of cream - 10 mg;
- In 1 ml of spray - 10 mg;
- In 1 tablet - 100, 200 or 500 mg.
- Crema - cetyl palmitate, 2-octyldodecanol, benzyl alcohol, cetostearyl alcohol, sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, purified water;
- Spray - macrogol 400, isopropyl myristate, isopropanol;
- Tablets - calcium lactate (pentahydrate), lactose monohydrate, corn starch, hypromellose, lactic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, crospovidone, colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide.
Indications for use
Cream and spray:
- Fungal lesions: dermatophytosis, ringworm, trichophytosis, candidiasis, microsporia, fungal paronychia, athlete, interdigital fungal erosion;
- Tinea versicolor;
- Mycoses complicated by secondary pyoderma;
- Candidiasis of the vulva and anorectal region;
- Candida balanitis;
- Candida vulvitis.
- Genital tract infections associated with Trichomonas vaginalis and / or yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida (trichomoniasis, vulvovaginal candidiasis, vulvitis candida, balanitis);
- Genital superinfection caused by microorganisms sensitive to clotrimazole;
- Sanitation of the birth canal before childbirth.
Kanesten is contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity to the drug.
Vaginal tablets, in addition, should not be used during menstruation.
Negative effect of clotrimazole on the fetus was not detected. However, during pregnancy, Kanesten can only be used under strict medical supervision.
Whether clotrimazole penetrates into breast milk has not been reliably established, therefore during lactation the drug can be used strictly as prescribed by a doctor.
Dosing and Administration
Externally, spray Kanesten should be sprayed, and the cream should be applied, gently rubbing, on previously cleaned and dried skin. Frequency of use - 2-3 times a day.
The duration of treatment is determined based on the type of pathogen and the nature of the disease. The average duration of therapy depending on the disease:
- Candida lesion of the external genital organs - 1-2 weeks;
- Dermatomycosis - 3-4 weeks;
- Licolor versicolor - 1-3 weeks;
- Erythrasma - 2-4 weeks.
Treatment of fungal diseases of the skin of the feet should be continued for 2 weeks after the symptoms disappear.
Kanesten tablets are designed for intravaginal use - they are administered in 1 pc. per day before bed deep in the vagina in the supine position. For ease of insertion, an applicator is attached.
Duration of treatment depending on the dose of tablets:
- 100 mg - 6 days;
- 200 mg - 3 days;
- 500 mg - 1 day.
In the event that the infection affects not only the vagina, but also the external genital organs, it is recommended to combine vaginal tablets with Canesten cream. For vulvitis associated with Candida spp., Women should use a small amount of the cream on the skin of the perineum and external genitals. Men with balanitis - on the foreskin and glans penis.
Basically, the drug is well tolerated. In rare cases, allergic reactions are noted.
With intravaginal use possible:
- On the part of the reproductive system: burning, discomfort, itching, swelling and redness of the vagina and external genital organs, vaginal discharge, burning sensation in the penis of a partner, pain during intercourse;
- On the part of the urinary system: frequent urination and intercurrent cystitis.
When applied externally, sometimes there is a burning sensation and tingling, blisters and redness appear at the site of application.
When using Kanesten in high doses, there are no serious reactions or life-threatening conditions. If you accidentally take the drug inside possible nausea and vomiting, abnormal liver function, gastralgia, anorexia, in rare cases, also pollakiuria, hallucinations, drowsiness and skin allergic reactions. Treatment involves the use of activated charcoal and symptomatic therapy.
Treatment of genital infections should undergo both partners, even if the symptoms of the disease in the second are absent. It should be borne in mind that clotrimazole reduces the effectiveness of latex contraceptives (diaphragms and condoms), therefore, during the use of the drug, it is necessary to refrain from sexual activity in order to prevent reinfection.
In trichomoniasis, Kanesten is recommended to be used in combination with an antifungal drug of systemic action (usually prescribed metronidazole in the form of oral tablets).
Women during treatment should not use tampons or other drugs for intravaginal use, as well as douching.
During pregnancy, tablets are recommended to be administered without the use of an applicator.
When using external forms of Kanesten, avoid contact with the eyes. Do not apply to skin areas where the integrity of the skin is compromised. Do not use airtight dressings.
If there is no clinical improvement within 4 weeks in the treatment of skin infections, a microbiological examination is needed to confirm the diagnosis and rule out another cause of the disease.
Women undergoing treatment with vaginal tablets Kanesten should consult a doctor if:
- Improvement does not occur within 7 days after initiation of therapy;
- Treatment is accompanied by fever, nausea, pain in the back and lower abdomen, vaginal bleeding, purulent discharge from the vagina with an unpleasant odor;
- Symptoms of the disease reappear within 2 months.
In the combined use of Kanesten with polyene antibiotics (nystatin, natamycin, amphotericin B), there is a mutual decrease in the effectiveness of the drugs.
The intravaginal form of clotrimazole can increase the plasma concentration of tacrolimus taken orally, so it is necessary to monitor its content in serum.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of reach of children at a temperature not exceeding 25 ºС.
The shelf life of the cream and spray - 3 years, vaginal tablets - 4 years.