Kalina red is a plant whose bark and fruits are used as a hemostatic, sedative, hypotensive, diaphoretic, fortifying and vitamin remedy.
Kalina red (Viburnum ordinary, lat. Vibúrnum ópulus) refers to the number of deciduous shrubs, species of the genus Kalina, family Adoxovye.
The bark of the plant contains anthraquinones, triterpenoids, iridoids, vitamin C, lignin, saponins, alkaloids, glycoside viburnin, tannins, catechin, flavonoids, leucoanthocyanins, and also:
- Carbohydrates and related compounds: myricyl alcohol, flobafen, pectin, cellulose, gums, phytosterol;
- Higher fatty acids: linoleic, behenic, myristic, lignoceric, palmitic, oleic, stearic, arachnic, cerotinic;
- Essential oil, in its composition organic acids: formic, valeric, acetic, caproic, caprylic, linolenic;
- Coumarins: scopoletin, esculetin, scopolines, esculin;
- Phenol carboxylic acids and their derivatives: non-chloro-chloric, chloragenic, caffeic, derivatives of o-dihydroxycinnamic acid.
The composition of the leaves includes viopuridal, ursolic acid, iridoids, steroids, alkaloids, tannins, vitamin C, flavonoids, catechins, and also:
- Phenols and their derivatives: salicin, furcatin, arbutin, salicin esters;
- Phenol carboxylic acids and their derivatives: caffeic, nelochlorogenic, chlorogenic, derivatives of o-dihydroxycinnamic acid;
- Coumarins: scopolines, esculetin, scopoletin, esculin;
- Anthocyanins: 3-arabinosylsambubioside cyanidine, 3-glucoside, peonidin;
- Higher fatty acids: palmitic, lignoceric, myristic, oleic, stearic, linoleic, arachidic, linolenic, behenic, cerotinic.
The fruits contain flavonoids, pectic substances, steroids, organic acids, vitamin C, carotene, potassium salts, catechins, tannins, sambucin, and also:
- Carbohydrates: fructose, sucrose, arabinose, glucose, galactose, mannose, rhamnose, xylose, polysaccharides;
- Phenol carboxylic acids and their derivatives: non-chloro-chloric, chloro-racic, derivatives of n-dihydroxycinnamic acid;
- Triterpenoids: ursolic acid, hedegragenic and oleonolic acids and their acetyl derivatives;
- Higher fatty acids: palmitic, myristic, lignoceric, oleic, stearic, behenic, linoleic, arachnic, linolenic, ceratin.
The composition of other parts of Kalina red include:
- Seeds: fatty oil, higher fatty acids (palmitic, myristic, linolenic, stearic, linoleic, oleic, arachidic);
- Roots: essential oil, triterpenoids, vitamins C and K;
- Wood: tannins;
- Branches: essential oil, in its composition tannins, salicin;
- Flowers: ursolic acid.
As a medicinal raw material used fruits and bark of the plant.
Bark Kalina red is used for uterine bleeding, as well as for painful menstruation. Viburnin contained in the cortex has some vasoconstrictor action and enhances the tone of the uterus. As part of the fees it is used in the treatment of diabetes. Long-term use of viburnum bark helps to reduce cholesterol in the blood and is indicated for atherosclerosis and hypertension. The essence of the cortex is used in homeopathy as an antispasmodic and in the treatment of algomenorrhea.
Bark of Kalina red can be used as:
- Broth: with metro and menorrhagia, algomenorrhea, during menopause, as an anti-inflammatory and hemostatic agent for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, colds and hemorrhoids;
- Infusion: as a sedative and hypotensive agent for hypertension, hysteria, neurosis, epilepsy;
- Irrigation, drops, inhalations: for acute or chronic catarrhal rhinitis, for the prevention of acute laryngitis, tonsillitis, for tracheobronchitis.
Infusion of fruits and fresh fruits of Kalina red are used as diaphoretic, fortifying, vitamin, laxative. Also, the fruits are shown in edema of renal and cardiac origin, neurosis, hypertension, colitis, antacid gastritis, liver diseases, dermatitis.
In the form of collecting berries, Kalina red is used as a diaphoretic, diuretic and means that strengthens the contraction of the heart muscle. Fruit extract has a wound healing effect.
In folk medicine in different countries, all parts of viburnum are widely used:
- Infusion branches: to improve blood circulation in the ulcer of the leg;
- Decoction of the branches: in the treatment of respiratory infections, scrofula, diseases of the throat, hemorrhoids, stomach ulcers, ascites; outwardly - with conjunctivitis;
- Broth bark: with various internal bleeding, especially uterine; to enhance the tone of the uterus; as antispasmodic, anticonvulsant and sedative; in respiratory diseases; as an antiseptic (externally);
- Infusion and decoction of flowers: as a diaphoretic and expectorant for respiratory diseases; as a diuretic and astringent for stomach cramps, diarrhea; to improve digestion; with cholelithiasis and urolithiasis; with skin tuberculosis, diathesis, eczema (externally); for washing wounds and for rinsing the throat with sore throat;
- Infusion of leaves: as an anthelmintic agent; in the treatment of angina;
- Decoction of fruits and leaves: in the treatment of ringworms and hyperkeratosis of the scalp (topical);
- Fresh berries: as a diaphoretic, disinfectant and laxative with diseases of the stomach and kidneys, respiratory infections;
- Juice of berries: in the treatment of bronchial asthma, stomach ulcers, liver diseases, headaches; to remove acne, remove freckles, whiten skin;
- Decoction and infusion of berries: as a vitamin, tonic, diuretic, hypotensive, anti-inflammatory, choleretic, sedative for insomnia, hypertension, convulsions, respiratory infections, hysteria, gastric ulcer, eczema, boils and carbuncles;
- Decoction of seeds: as a diaphoretic; in the treatment of dyspepsia.
Indications for use
- Edema of renal and cardiac origin;
- Bleeding of various origins;
- Diseases of the liver and gastrointestinal tract;
- Hypertonic disease;
- Eczema, boils and carbuncles.
Apply Kalina red is contraindicated in the following diseases / conditions:
- Thrombosis or a tendency to its development;
- Increased blood clotting;
- Increased acidity of gastric juice;
- Kidney disease;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Hypersensitivity to the active substances of the plant.
Homemade medicines from red viburnum
To prepare a decoction of Kalina bark bark 10 g of crushed raw materials should be poured 200 ml of boiling water, cook for 30 minutes over low heat, and insist to cool; squeeze raw materials and strain; with boiled water to bring the volume to the original. Take before meals 3 times a day and 1 tablespoon for breathing difficulties, colds, pulmonary hemorrhage.
To prepare the infusion of Kalina bark bark, 2 tablespoons of chopped raw material should be placed in a thermos and pour 0.5 liters of boiling water. After 5 hours, the infusion should be filtered. Accepted 2-3 times a day before meals, 50 g as a sedative and hypotensive agent for neurosis, hypertension and hysteria. Also, the infusion can be used for periodontal rinsing of the mouth.
When uterine bleeding take tincture, which is prepared from 4 tablespoons of crushed Kalina red bark and 200 ml of 70% alcohol. The tincture is stored for 14 days in a cool dark place, occasionally shaking. Before use, it should be filtered. Take 2-3 times a day for 25-30 drops.
For scrofula, diathesis, and pustular skin lesions, Kalina red baths are used. To do this, 200 g of crushed bark is poured 5 liters of boiling water, infused for 30 minutes, and strain, poured into a bath. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes. Usually the treatment course is 10 baths.