Calcium-D3 Nycomed - mineral supplement that regulates the exchange of calcium and phosphorus.
Release form and composition
Dosage form of the drug - chewable tablets:
- Orange - in bottles of high-density polyethylene in 20, 50 or 100 pcs., 1 bottle in a carton box;
- Mint - in high-density polyethylene bottles of 30 or 100 pcs., 1 bottle per pack.
- Calcium carbonate - 1250 mg (which corresponds to 500 mg of elemental calcium);
- Colecalciferol (vitamin D3) - 5 µg (200 IU).
- Orange - povidone, sorbitol, isomalt, magnesium stearate, aspartame, mono - and diglycerides of fatty acids, orange oil;
- Peppermints - sorbitol, povidone, magnesium stearate, aspartame, peppermint flavor.
Indications for use
- Treatment of deficiency and prevention of calcium deficiency and / or vitamin D3;
- Prevention and treatment (as part of complex therapy) of osteoporosis and its complications.
- Severe renal failure;
- Hypervitaminosis D;
- The active form of tuberculosis;
- Children's age up to 3 years;
- Hereditary intolerance to fructose, glucose-galactose malabsorption and sugar-isomaltase deficiency;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, soy or peanuts.
Patients with renal insufficiency, pregnant and lactating women should be under constant observation during the treatment period.
Dosing and Administration
The drug should be taken with meals, tablets should be absorbed or chewed until dissolved.
- To compensate for the lack of calcium and vitamin D: children over 12 years old and adults - 1 tablet twice a day, children 5-12 years old - 1-2 tablets per day, children 3-5 years old - as prescribed by a doctor;
- For the prevention of osteoporosis: adults - 1 tablet twice a day;
- In the complex treatment of osteoporosis: adults - 1 tab. 2-3 times a day.
As a means to compensate for the deficiency of calcium and vitamin D3, the drug is taken in courses of at least 4-6 weeks, the number of courses during the year is determined individually.
As a means intended for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, the duration of use of the mineral supplement is determined by the doctor individually for each patient.
Basically, Calcium-D3 Nycomed is well tolerated, in rare cases the following side effects are noted:
- The digestive system: abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation or diarrhea, nausea, dyspepsia;
- Metabolism: hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia;
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue: rash, itching, urticaria.
Calcium overdose is fraught with the development of hypercalcemia, its symptoms: thirst, muscle weakness, abdominal pain, constipation, nausea, vomiting, polyuria, fatigue, anorexia, bone pain, urolithiasis, nephrocalcinosis, mental disorders. In severe cases, cardiac arrhythmias are added. With prolonged use in excessive doses (more than 2500 mg of calcium), kidney damage and calcification of soft tissues are possible. If any of the symptoms described appear, you should stop taking Calcium-D3 Nicomed and consult a doctor. First aid for overdose involves gastric lavage, then prescribed loop diuretic (eg, furosemide), glucocorticosteroid, calcitonin and bisphosphonates, also shows the replacement of lost fluid. It is necessary to monitor diuresis, kidney function and the content of electrolytes in the blood, in severe cases, ECG monitoring and measurement of central venous pressure is required.
Hypercalcemia resulting from an overdose during pregnancy may have an adverse effect on the fetus.
In order to prevent overdose, it is necessary to take into account the intake of vitamin D3 and calcium from other sources, and when taking a mineral supplement during lactation, not only the mother who takes Calcium-D3 Nicomed, but also the child.
With long-term treatment, it is necessary to control the content of creatinine and calcium in the blood, especially in the elderly, who take diuretics and cardiac glycosides, and in patients at risk of kidney stones. If there are signs of hypercalcemia or renal dysfunction, the dose of Calcium-D3 Nycomed should be reduced or its use should be stopped altogether.
When prescribing the drug in patients with renal insufficiency, the risk of soft tissue calcification should be considered. In the process of treatment is necessary to control the content of phosphate and calcium in the serum.
The drug can be used during pregnancy. However, it should be borne in mind that the daily dose should not exceed 1500 mg of calcium and 600 IU of vitamin D3.
With caution, the additive should be used in immobilized patients with osteoporosis, since they have a high risk of developing hypercalcemia.
Calcium-D3 Nycomed does not adversely affect the reaction rate and ability to increase concentration of attention.
It is important to know that foods containing oxalates (spinach, sorrel, rhubarb) and phytin (cereals) reduce calcium absorption, so Calcium D3 Nycomed should not be taken within 2 hours after they have been consumed.
It is not recommended to take the drug simultaneously with tetracycline antibiotics and quinolone, since their absorption is reduced. If such a combination is still necessary, it is recommended to take these drugs 2 hours before or 4-6 hours after taking Calcium-D3 Nicomed. The entire period of treatment, the patient must be under careful medical supervision.
Hypercalcemia developed as a result of taking a mineral supplement can potentiate the toxic effects of cardiac glycosides. It is necessary to control the concentration of calcium in the serum and monitor the ECG.
Calcium absorption is reduced by glucocorticosteroids, so an increase in the supplement dose may be required.
Calcium reduces absorption and reduces the effectiveness of levothyroxine, so the interval between their intake should be at least 4 hours. Bisphosphonates, if necessary, are recommended to be taken no later than 1 hour before taking Calcium-D3 Nicomed.
The risk of hypercalcemia increases with simultaneous use of thiazide diuretics. In this case, it is necessary to regularly monitor the concentration of calcium in the serum.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a tightly closed vial in a dry place out of the reach of children, at temperatures up to 25 ºС.
Shelf life - 3 years.