Indapamide is a diuretic drug.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in the form of tablets, long-acting tablets and capsules.
Film tablets, round-colored, 10 pcs. Each. in blisters, in a cardboard box there are three blisters.
Tablets with prolonged action of Indapamide are sold in packs of 30 pcs.
Capsules are available in packs of 30 pcs.
The active ingredient of the drug is indapamide.
Indapamide tablets contain: indapamide (2.5 mg) and excipients (MCC, pregelatinized starch, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, colloidal silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, lactose monohydrate, macrogol).
The composition of the tablets with a prolonged action of Indapamide includes indapamide (1.5 mg) and excipients.
Capsules are composed of indapamide (2.5 mg) and excipients.
Indications for use
Indapamide is taken in the treatment of essential arterial hypertension.
Indapamide is not recommended for the following diseases and conditions:
- Syndrome violation of the absorption of galactose and glucose;
- Lactose intolerance;
- Severe renal failure in anuria;
- The simultaneous use of drugs that extend the QT interval;
- Individual hypersensitivity to the drug;
- Severe hepatic impairment, including hepatic encephalopathy;
- Age up to 18 years;
- Period of pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Indapamide is prescribed with caution to patients who have disorders of the kidneys and liver, water and electrolyte balance, hyperparathyroidism, hyperuricemia (accompanied by urate nephrolithiasis and gout), diabetes mellitus in the stage of decompensation. Under the supervision of a physician, patients are taking the drug, receiving therapy with other antiarrhythmic drugs, as well as with an increased QT interval on the ECG.
Dosing and Administration
Indapamide is recommended to be taken in the morning. The drug is taken orally, drinking plenty of clean water, regardless of the meal.
Usually, 1 tablet (2.5 mg), a long-acting tablet (1.5 mg) or a capsule (2.5 mg) once a day is prescribed.
The desired therapeutic effect occurs after 4-8 weeks of treatment with indapamide. If it is not achieved, the dosage of the drug is not recommended to be increased, since it increases the risk of side effects without increasing the antihypertensive effect. In this case, it is better to include another antihypertensive agent in the treatment regimen, which is not a diuretic.
With simultaneous therapy with two drugs, the dosage of indapamide is 2.5 mg (1.5 mg tablets with prolonged action) once a day.
When taking Indapamide may develop the following side effects:
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, abdominal pain, sometimes - hepatic encephalopathy, rarely - pancreatitis;
- Cough, sinusitis, pharyngitis, rarely - rhinitis;
- Drowsiness, dizziness, headache, nervousness, asthenia, depression, insomnia, vertigo, rarely - indisposition, general weakness, tension, muscle spasm, anxiety, irritability;
- Orthostatic hypotension, palpitations, arrhythmia, hypokalemia;
- Urticaria, itching, rash, hemorrhagic vasculitis;
- Frequent urinary tract infections, polyuria, nocturia;
- Glucosuria, hypercreatininemia, an increase in urea nitrogen in the blood plasma, hypercalcemia, hyponatremia, hypochloremia, hypokalemia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia;
- Exacerbation of systemic lupus erythematosus;
- Very rarely - hemolytic anemia, bone marrow aplasia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia.
When Indapamide is taken by elderly patients and patients taking laxatives, cardiac glycosides, constant monitoring of creatinine and potassium ions is necessary.
Control of patients with liver cirrhosis (risk of metabolic alkalosis and exacerbation of symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy), heart failure, coronary heart disease is particularly indicated.
In patients with diabetes, it is necessary to control the level of glucose in the blood, especially when hypokalemia develops.
Hypercalcemia when taking Indapamide is often the result of previously undiagnosed hyperparathyroidism.
During the first week of drug therapy, it is necessary to measure the calcium content in the blood.
The systematic control of the concentration of uric acid, glucose, residual nitrogen, the content of magnesium ions in the blood plasma, sodium, potassium, and pH.
Patients taking Indapamide need to compensate for the loss of water and at the beginning of therapy carefully monitor the work of the kidneys. Strong dehydration can provoke the development of acute renal failure.
Patients with hyponatremia and arterial hypertension three days before using angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors should stop taking diuretics, or they should be given low initial dosages of ACE inhibitors.
The ability to drive a vehicle and mechanisms that require increased attention may decrease, especially at the start of Indapamide. A more significant decrease in this ability is observed with the simultaneous use of indapamide and another antihypertensive agent.
Analogues of Indapamide are: Vero-Indapamide, Acripamide, Indapamide Nycomed, Ionic.
Terms and conditions of storage
Indapamide tablets and capsules should be stored in a dry place out of the reach of children.
The shelf life of the drug is three years.