Imigran is an agonist of serotonin 5-HT 1 receptors; analgesic with anti-migraine activity.
Release form and composition
Imigran dosage forms are coated tablets (2 each in a blister, 1 blister per package) and a nasal spray (in single-use bottles with a dosing device, 1 or 2 in a cardboard box).
The composition of the tablets:
- 50 or 100 mg of sumatriptan (in the form of succinate);
- Excipients: anhydrous lactose, lactose monohydrate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate;
- The composition of the shell: methyl hydroxypropyl cellulose, titanium dioxide, additionally in tablets 50 mg - triacetin, ferric oxide red and opadry pink YS-1-1441-G; 100 mg tablets - opadry white OY-S-7393.
The composition of one spray bottle:
- 10 or 20 mg of sumatriptan (in the form of succinate);
- Additional components: sodium phosphate disubstituted anhydrous, sodium hydroxide, potassium phosphate monosubstituted, sulfuric acid, purified water.
Indications for use
The immigrant is intended for the relief of migraine attacks, including with aura.
Application Imigran contraindicated in:
- Basilar, hemiplegic and ophthalmoplegic form of migraine;
- Occlusive peripheral vascular diseases;
- Uncontrolled arterial hypertension;
- Stroke and transient ischemic attacks, incl. in the anamnesis;
- Severe liver / kidney function;
- Ischemic heart disease (including Prinzmetal angina pectoris, myocardial infarction and post-infarction cardiosclerosis), as well as the presence of symptoms that suggest the presence of coronary artery disease.
In addition, Imigran should not take:
- When hypersensitivity to sumatriptan or any auxiliary component;
- Concurrently with ergotamine or its derivatives;
- Pregnant women;
- Children and teenagers under 18;
- Elderly people over 65;
- Simultaneously with MAO inhibitors and within 2 weeks after their cancellation.
With caution, the drug should be used in controlled arterial hypertension, epilepsy, and any conditions characterized by a decrease in the threshold of convulsive readiness.
As for lactation, breastfeeding is not recommended during the day after taking the drug.
The immigrant is not prescribed to people who are at risk of developing cardiovascular pathologies without prior examination to exclude the presence of the disease. These patients include those with risk factors for coronary heart disease, men over 40 years old and women who are in the post-menopausal period.
Dosing and Administration
It is recommended to use the immigrant as soon as possible after the onset of a migraine attack, although it is effective at any stage. Tablets are taken orally, washed down with water, spray injected intranasally.
The recommended single dose of Imigran in the form of tablets is 50 mg, in some cases the doctor may prescribe 100 mg; in the form of a spray - 10 or 20 mg.
If the symptoms do not disappear or at least do not diminish, further use of the drug is inappropriate. If the attack has passed, or the severity of symptoms has decreased, but then the migraine resumed, you can take / inject the second dose, but provided that at least 2 hours passed between doses. The maximum allowable daily dosage is 300 mg for tablets, 40 mg for spray (two doses of 20 mg).
Rules for the use of nasal spray:
- Clear the nasal cavity;
- Take a comfortable position (you can sit);
- Close one nostril - firmly press it with your finger to the nasal septum;
- Breathing through the mouth, insert the tip into the second nostril to a depth of about 1 cm;
- Without tilting your head, close your mouth;
- Take a quiet breath through the nose, while simultaneously drawing the blue button with your thumb;
- Open your mouth and calmly breathe your mouth;
- Take a quiet breath through the nose and slowly (within 10-20 seconds) exhale through the mouth. Do not breathe deeply!
Possible side effects of Imigran:
- Bradycardia, tachycardia (including ventricular), hypotension, palpitations, transient increase in blood pressure; rarely - transient changes on the ECG of the ischemic type, cardiac arrhythmias, spasm of the coronary arteries, myocardial infarction. There are separate reports on the development of Raynaud's syndrome;
- Nausea, vomiting; rarely - dysphagia, ischemic colitis, a slight increase in the activity of liver enzymes, a feeling of discomfort in the abdomen;
- Dizziness, hot flashes, weakness; rarely - feeling tired, sleepy, convulsive seizures (mainly in patients with epilepsy or structural brain lesions in history), diplopia, scotoma, nystagmus, reduced visual acuity, flickering before the eyes, transient partial loss of vision;
- Allergic reactions, anaphylaxis;
- Feeling of heat, tingling, pain, feeling of squeezing, heaviness or pressure in any part of the body, including the throat and chest (these symptoms are usually transient, but can be intense).
When applying the spray may feel the moisture in the nasal cavity.
There are cases of ingestion of 400 mg and single intranasal administration of 40 mg of sumatriptan. No serious reactions were noted. When applying too large a dose of imigran for 10 hours, the patient must be under medical supervision. If necessary, prescribe maintenance therapy.
The immigrant is not intended to prevent migraine attacks. It can be used only if the diagnosis is not in doubt.
There are separate reports of impaired coordination, the development of hyperreflexia and weakness in patients who took sumatriptan during treatment with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. For this reason, if necessary, the use of such a combination requires monitoring the patient's condition.
With simultaneous oral administration of sumatriptan with ergotamine, prolonged vasospasm is possible. For this reason, Emigran should be used no earlier than 24 hours after taking ergotamine, or vice versa, preparations containing ergotamine should be taken at least 6 hours after taking sumatriptan.
After applying Imigran, a feeling of tightness and chest pain radiating to the neck is possible. If there are suspicions that these symptoms are signs of coronary heart disease, the patient is prescribed an appropriate diagnostic examination.
An immigrant may cause drowsiness. This should be taken into account by people driving a vehicle and performing potentially hazardous jobs that require reaction speed and / or increased concentration.
Amigrenin, Migrepam, Sumamigren, Sumatriptan Adifarm, Sumatriptan Pfizer, Sumig, Sumatran, Sumatriptan-Teva, Trimigren, Rapimed, Sumarin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store the drug should be at a temperature not exceeding 30 ºC. The shelf life of tablets 100 mg - 4 years, 50 mg tablets and nasal spray - 3 years.